I've been playing guitar for roughly 6-7 months. I'm starting to play live at Church events and youth stuff and I definitely want to take my sound to a better level.

Current I have a VOX AC15, G5 Zoom Multi Effects Pedal, and an Epiphone Special II.

I'm going to be honest, I don't like my guitar, I got it for 125$ on Kijiji when I started learning. It's all black and it definitely doesn't make me want to pick it up and play whenever I see it like I think a guitar should.

So what I'm here for is this....

I'm looking to either buy a nice new guitar, or start building a proper pedal board. I've been look at the Jaguar HH and I've played it in stores a few times and I love it. But what is going to increase the quality of my sound more? A good set of pedals? Or a high quality guitar?

Either or is going to cost me around 1200-1500 Canadian dollars.
Why not both? The Special II isn't well regarded, but the used market can offer some savings if you want a pedalboard. If not used, then guitar first. People don't play because of their pedal boards. It's a nice finishing, but worthless if you hate to play.

How set are you on the Jag? What other guitars have you tried?
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
If you don't like your current guitar, and have tried one you do like and can afford, get the guitar.

You also don't have to build a pedal board in one. Start with just one - IIRC P&W is big on reverb, so look into a single reverb unit that sounds exactly right. Once you have that, consider a clean boost, or delay maybe? Not that sure on what goes into P&W really.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Regardless of style, if your guitar isn't comfortable and inviting for you to play, you need to replace it with one that is. THAT is a necessity.

For P&W, you don't need much, and whatever you have should be used subtlely. I'm thinking some kind of:

1) Tuner (obviously)
2) Low to medium gain overdrive
3) echo/reverb/delay (or not, if you're playing in a large, echoey space)
4) tremolo
5) other. Something like a Electroharmonix's B9's Cathedral setting could be a surprise, though an appropriate one. http://www.ehx.com/products/b9

Besides the tuner, any other 2 from that list would be sufficient. Anything beyond that would be a bonus.

Your Zoom MFX pedal should buy you time to sort out what you want/need while shopping around for good deals on pedals.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Oh yeah, re:guitar

Have you looked at Godin? Canada's own makes some pretty killer axes, and because they're not as famous and storied as Fender, they're generally cheaper on the used marks than comparable Fenders, Gibsons, etc.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Change that guitar, but I would say you should be able to get something that would work for you for well under $1200-$1500 especially if you go used. You could use the money left to buy some pedals - although the G5 would work in the interim.

As a fellow P&W player on a budget I would suggest the following pedals to start.

EHX Soulfood
TC. Flashback X4 delay - can be had used on Reverb for around $200
TC Hall of Fame reverb

those pedals alone will get you the "P&W tone" and then you can expand, after that I would suggest the following list

compressor
tuner
second overdrive
second delay

One thing I would suggest depending on your church setup is a Behringer Ultra G or a Hughes and Kettner Redbox, they allow a signal to be taken from your amp direct to the PA which can be very helpful when micing isn't available or you need low stage volume.

Where are you located in Canada?
I've said this time and time again, A guitar is a personal thing and it must be aesthetically pleasing to you and you need to be comfortable with it, If not then chances are you wont be as apt to play it, When you love everything about your guitar you cant wait to play it, This is actually very important, especially to newer players, Me? I don't give a damn anymore, ugly as a sack of assholes I don't care, I like the way it plays and sounds. Besides beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Right?
As to your choice of a Jag HH improving your tone? Depends on which tone your looking for, Not my cup of tea but that's not to say its not yours. But then I've also been playing 40+ years, And yes I've owned a few guitars over the years, Maybe 40 years from now you'll be able to say, Oh yea I had an old Jag back in the day, Thought it was great at the time, Then one day it wasn't all that great, Such is the way of guitars and those that play them
As to effects? That's more preference than anything, Just strait amp, guitar and effects I'm pretty minimalistic, Not much going on there, Actually I use about half the features of my Boss ME-80, The guitars and amps are the meat and potatoes, The effects are just the seasoning. Lot of cooks make the same mistake, add to much of this or that and you loose the taste of what your serving,
So at 6/7 months now it sounds as if you loaded your cart respectably and the mule is willing, But this is a very long journey and sometimes the cart and mule just don't complete it.
You already have a good amp and a good effects unit, the guitar is definitely the weak link in your set up.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
You already have a good amp and a good effects unit, the guitar is definitely the weak link in your set up.

Seconded. Find a guitar you really like; you're okay with the rest as it is.

Like nastybadasstroll and his sack of assholes, I'm pretty good with a wide range of guitars.

Funny note about P&W guitars. I'm an occasional player on one of the local groups. Most of what I'd played were black guitars (I have a black Gibson Axcess Custom worth north of $4K, for example), not because of any particular preference for black guitars, but because there are SO many black guitars out there. A while back I bought an Agile AL2000 Floyd in White (already have one in black ) that came with a sustainer. Took that one in several weeks ago to a joyous response from the P&W folks. "Finally!"

Ack.
Definitely recommend a new guitar, as for which one, just go into a guitar store and play everything you can within your budget, one will speak to you and tell you it is the one.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Quote by dspellman

Funny note about P&W guitars. I'm an occasional player on one of the local groups. Most of what I'd played were black guitars (I have a black Gibson Axcess Custom worth north of $4K, for example), not because of any particular preference for black guitars, but because there are SO many black guitars out there. A while back I bought an Agile AL2000 Floyd in White (already have one in black ) that came with a sustainer. Took that one in several weeks ago to a joyous response from the P&W folks. "Finally!"

Ack.

Bring one of these:

I think for a beginner guitarist the best guitar possible is the absolutely most fiscal solution & I say this because you know you want to do this. Already playing live shows a level of determination in which most beginners don't have. Pedals do not have the same durability as an electric guitar. If you buy a quality electric, that guitar will be singing for centuries after you're dead. I've had some pedals that crapped out after a month or two. Go with the axe. I think pedals are the cherry on top anyways, that's something advanced guitarists should be worrying about.
Last edited by NewDayHappy at Dec 15, 2016,
Definitely start with a nice guitar before worrying about a nice pedal rig. After all, what's the point of having nice pedals if you don't enjoy playing your guitars?
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by NewDayHappy
I think for a beginner guitarist the best guitar possible is the absolutely most fiscal solution & I say this because you know you want to do this. Already playing live shows a level of determination in which most beginners don't have. Pedals do not have the same durability as an electric guitar. If you buy a quality electric, that guitar will be singing for centuries after you're dead. I've had some pedals that crapped out after a month or two. Go with the axe. I think pedals are the cherry on top anyways, that's something advanced guitarists should be worrying about.

This really doesn't have anything to do with it being a guitar or a pedal. Stuff can break on anything and it's pretty reliant on wether or not you buy quality in the first place and how you treat it. Other times, it's down to getting either lucky with getting something cheap that doesn't break or getting unlucky with something expensive that came out of the factory seemingly without having gone through quality control.

I do agree with most people that getting the better guitar is the right thing to do now. On the other hand, getting into pedals can really shape your way of playing and thinking about songwriting as well, and something like a more expensive Epiphone might leave some money in your pocket that you could spend on pedals. I'd rather have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with some pedals through a Vox AC15 than a Gibson Les Paul Studio or something like that without any pedals, but I can't live without having the options of effects.
If you're in the market to spend $1500 CD (that's like $1200 USD), then you definitely don't have to choose. You can get a great guitar for probably $800 CD, and then get a couple of nice pedals.

If you don't want to spend that much money, just get a nicer guitar for like $500 CD and then get one or two pedals. If you're just doing like church gigs then you probably only need a basic overdrive pedal and a tuner.

For the most part, you really get what you pay for with effects, meaning that multi effects pedals are not very high quality. If you pay $100 for 50 effects, you're getting $2 effects. Going in front of people demands a certain level of quality, for the audience's sake.

And what's your amp situation? You don't need anything expensive to play in church, but you do need an amp between your guitar and the PA system to make the sound bearable. Something with a direct out is ideal for low volume gigs.
Guitar for sure. The Zoom unit you have isn't to bad. If you have any money left over add a pedal.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I'm not sure why you couldn't do both a guitar and a few pedals, as others have mentioned above. You may have to be a bit patient, but maybe go used on the Jaguar. I've got a few and love them all, nothing beats a Jag in my opinion.

Also, I'm not a P&W guy, but you might think I am by my boards (Strymon, Walrus Audio, Earthquaker, etc.). I'd think you could get away with a tuner, drive, and reverb, depending on which you look to buy. The EHX Soul Food (mentioned above) is a good Klon style, or the East River Drive might be a good bet (for the TS style). A Boss RV6 will get you into worship tones pretty well (has the shimmer thing as well as a delay function). If you want to spend a bit more the Earthquaker Avalanche Run is a verb/delay (with tap tempo) that should sort out that section of your board well enough.
OffsetOffset