Hi I am a beginner guitar player. I love music and I always wanted to play guitar. I am 17. It is a bit late but next year is college and I really want to learn guitar and play music with other people. I have a 50$ classic guitar. I will use this guitar until summer. Its been almost 2 months. I never gave up and played for at least 1 hour everyday. I am a dedicated person. When summer comes I want to buy an electric guitar and a amp. I am a classic rock fan. I love GNR and mostly Slash. I really love his Les Paul guitars. The look the sound... Its just really awsome. Other types of guitars doesn't look appealing to me at all.
I want to have a good long lasting electric guitar. I can save up around 1500USD. And like I said before I love Les Pauls.
I live in an apartment. The amp that I am looking for should be quite but also have a nice tone. The loudness is not important for me because If I can find people to gig with, we would probabbly do it in the college's Music room and I can use an amp in there. And since ıts not guranteed that I will find people to play with. I will prioritise an amp that is suitible for a bedroom setup.
Please give me all of your suggestions since I am really a noob with all of this. I need your help. Thanks.
I can't be of much help, but I'll note that I only play in my man cave these days at very little louder than acoustic volume, and I use a clean tube amp and a few carefully chosen pedals. I'm a dinosaur where gear is concerned, and if you got a small decent SS amp, like a Yamaha THR, you would have a headphone out that could be useful in your circumstances.

FWIW, I don't think you can really emulate those big studio and concert sounds in a "small" way, so you have to compromise somewhat on sound.
A Carvin V16 is a nice amp for about 400$ I have one great clean sound takes pedals well and works fine at lower volumes. You can switch it to 5 watt mode. Biggest problem with it is that you have to buy it without trying it unless you live in southern California. For guitars I think a higher end Epiphone will do you well. Low end Gibsons are not that great you will need to spend a bit more if you want a decent one. Some other guitars that might be worth a look are Ibanez Artist series G&L Ascari, LTD ec series.
mumar1512

For mainly/purely bedroom use, I don't even advocate an amp. I prefer using headphones and a portable digital modelers like the a Line 6 POD, Boss Micro BR, Korg Pandora or similar device: along with amp and pedal simulators, they all have useful practice tools like metronomes, tuners, recording capacity and/or computer interfaces. And that will fit in nearly any gig bag or hardshell case. Some smartphone apps can do a lot of those things as well.

For playing with others...I really don't know what is available where you are, but I know you guys pay through the nose for gear. I don't think you need to buy anything too big. Shop in the 20-45 watt range. Given your love of Slash...maybe a small tube Marshall, Jet City or a Fender Bassbreaker.

For a Les Paul style guitar, I'd look at Epiphone, of course. Decent quality LP clones that may be available on your budget (used, most likely) where you are include Godin, Electra, Hagstrom, LTD, Fernandes/Burny, Tokai, Edwards, and Radix.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I agree with Dannyalcatraz, If in a dorm room I see no reason for an amp, But I'd be very surprised not to see a laptop. In which case the devices of which Danny speaks of are numerous and headphones are a must. If you wish to play without headphones then a decent Bluetooth speaker system can be added. I actually know someone that went down that road, and to be honest I was quite impressed.

To LP type guitars, Danny left out the Agile AL 3010, 3100 and 3200 from Rondo music, Very nice clones judging by reviews
I hear Agiles are kinda pricey in that part of the world... Aw, FFS

For some reason, I misread your 1500USD as 1500AUD.

Forget what I said about Radix and prices "in your part of the world".

Agiles are a perfectly good option in the USA.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Your slipping Danny. For 1500USD I could set up some serious dorm room insanity, But lets not send all his dorm mates to they're safe place right off the bat, Let them adjust for a bit, then we'll turn him on to the good stuff. Guitars and amps can be like be like Heroin,
Last edited by nastytroll at Dec 13, 2016,
Quote by nastytroll
Your slipping Danny. For 1500USD I could set up some serious dorm room insanity, But lets not send all his dorm mates to they're safe place right off the bat, Let them adjust for a bit, then we'll turn him on to the good stuff. Guitars and amps can be like be like Heroin,

Sure, I could set up a serious rig for $1500, but if you have to be quiet, what's the point? That's when I recommend the modelers.

Still, with another place to jam, an amp IS needed. I'd add a Carvin V3 or V3M as a viable option.

Quote by nastytroll
But lets not send all his dorm mates to they're safe place right off the bat, Let them adjust for a bit, then we'll turn him on to the good stuff.

hahahahahahahaha
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
dannyalcatraz

The suggestion of using a headphone amp comes of fairly often, and it makes sense, but I wonder how much enjoyment is lost through not having the sound source some distance from your ears, at least when the opportunity arises? I've tried using headphone amps, and find it hard to really connect with the sound when it is right in my ears. However, I don't like listening to any kind of music through headphones, so I would qualify the suggestion by saying that a headphone amp is would likely be fine if you listen to music through headphones.
yeah same here, i really don't like headphones (not great for your ears apart from anything else) but that's across the board, not just for guitar. and the cable can get in your way while playing (though i guess you could get wireless ones if that annoyed you).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I believe parts of appetite for destruction were recorded on an upgraded Chibson! You could go that route, spend <400$ on the guitar. Upgrade pots, pickups, tuners and have it set up. That should give you a decent guitar to start and give you something close to Slash's roots.

If I was in your boat I would get a nice used Gibson les paul studio. Then buy Bias FX or something that has amp/effects sims and play with headphones. Save up so when you get better you can get an amp to jam with people.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '95 Fender MIM Strat
Helix Rack, Jetcity JCA50H w/ JCA24s+
To tackle most of these needs, how about an Epiphone Les Paul or Agile for the guitar and an Atomic Amplifire Pedal ($600 new / $500 used) with a powered wedge monitor. Plug in headphones for quiet, the powered wedge for noise, and plug into the PA directly if you jam with others.

Should be well under $1,500 with tons of latitude/expense for the guitar.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Tony Done
dannyalcatraz

The suggestion of using a headphone amp comes of fairly often, and it makes sense, but I wonder how much enjoyment is lost through not having the sound source some distance from your ears, at least when the opportunity arises? I've tried using headphone amps, and find it hard to really connect with the sound when it is right in my ears. However, I don't like listening to any kind of music through headphones, so I would qualify the suggestion by saying that a headphone amp is would likely be fine if you listen to music through headphones.

I rarely use headphones to listen to music myself. Currently, at least. My use varies.

But speaking only for myself, I bought my first Korg Pandora @18mo before I got an amp...and I still use it and other PDMs regularly. More often than my amp & pedals, actually.

No, it isn't as satisfying.

However, given the choice between having less-than-optimal practice time with a Pandora and 'phones and b ing unable to practice because it is too late at night, etc., I'll take the Pandora every time.

Or, like tonight, I'm taking my Mom to choir practice at our Church. Instead of loading up the HRD and a bunch of pedals, I just grab the Korg. That's 2-3 hours of practice I wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

Epiphone Les Paul Tribute+ and either:
Positive Grid Bias
LePou Plugins + DAW
Marshall Code
Marshall DSL 15C
Peavey Vypyr
Fender Mustang
Orange Micro Terror + 1x12 Cab

Those amps/amp sims are all at various price points and this can be taken into consideration for random accessories you may need to buy such as a Tuner, cables, picks, string winder, spare strings, straps and books full of chord diagrams and scales.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
dannyalcatraz

I agree entirely with all of that. However, it seems to me that a lunchbox amp is a good compromise between all that heavy gear and no speakers at all if all you want is low volume.

I had a Px4 that I liked very much, but I only used it for recording. It seemed a bit flimsy - the internal switching stopped working - so if I was getting another it would be the stomp box version.