Hey guys,

So i've been playing guitar for about a year now and i'm really enjoying it.
I play metal, mostly melodic death metal like "Children of Bodom, Kalmah, Ensiferum" Etc.

I think it's safe to say i'm no longer a beginner. (still a long way to go to pro )
As long as i can read something from a tab, i can probably learn to play it, with exceptions like super fast solo's and stuff.
Slower solo's and leads are going great.

Now here's the thing...
Playing something i can read from a tab is easy, but understanding why it is like that... thats harder for me.
I really want to be able to play arpegios and scales so i can make my own songs. but whenever i look for tutorials people are talking like: "this is a Abdim7 diminished scale arpeggio" and i'm just like WTF!?!??

why is it a Abdim7??

somebody understand what i'm trying to ask?
English is not my main language and i find it hard to explain my problem here like this.

I just want to understand which scales and arpeggios go with certain chords / songs i write myself.

If you know a good tutorial that explains the why and how i'd be happy to read it becouse i cant really find it.

Thanks for reading and rock on
a diminished chord:
1-b3-b5

a diminished 7th chord:
1-b3-b5-bb7 (double flat).

Starting on Ab:

diminished: Ab-Cb-Ebb (enharmonically D)
diminished 7: Ab-Cb-Ebb-Gbb

I think it'd most likely function as G#dim7 instead (G#-B-D-F) if it resolves to A minor, though. viio7-i is a common idiom, particularly in Western classical music and genres that borrow from said genre.

Do you have musical context (like a specific song in mind with timestamps)?
ok..a few things in music are very difficult to explain how they are used and why...diminished scales.and diminished chords are near the top of the list..

before you even begin to tackle that area I suggest you begin to study theory so you will have an overview of how chords/scales function..in addition to the study of theory..the study of diatonic harmony will answer many questions of how chords work together..and will work nicely with the theory study..
I realize it may sound dull and boring..but if you are serious about music and really want to "know" how and why it works..so to speak..this will open many doors..

Neos short example may or may not give you insight into the how and why a diminished chord/scale act they way they do .. it is quite a study in and of itself..and can be used in many ways..this forum will only give you the bare minimum of what is possible..I suggest doing some research on some of the top books on these subjects and or find a very good teacher who knows these subjects and has a good track record in teaching

hope this helps
play well

wolf
Last edited by wolflen at Dec 14, 2016,
Playing something i can read from a tab is easy, but understanding why it is like that... thats harder for me.

Do you ever learn songs by ear? If not, maybe that's the problem. Tabs just tell you what to do and you never need to put any thought into it. While tabs are great at showing how to play something, they are sometimes "too easy" in a way, and they may make you ignore the sound. I would suggest learning songs by ear. Once you have a better ear, understanding all the theoretic stuff is much easier and makes much more sense. Then again, theory also supports your ear.

If you are not familiar with the sound of the diminished arpeggio, the term will not make any sense to you.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
wolflen
Yes thats what i mean, I want to learn the theory to understand it, but i cant find a understandable tutorial becouse the ones i find instantly go to very advanced stuff.
So thats my question, anyone have a good tutorial / book / lessons etc. covering that area since i find it very hard to find them on my own.
Quote by martin.ouwehand

I really want to be able to play arpegios and scales so i can make my own songs.
That won't necessarily help you write songs. Learn chords! And learn as many songs as you can, and steal the parts you like.
The answer to "why it is like that" is simply that the songwriter(s) liked the sound. They (almost certainly) didn't study theory first. They just copied the songs they liked until they learned the ropes - and no doubt experimented themselves too, to find other good sounds. That's pretty much how all rock songwriters work, whatever the genre. I very much doubt they ever ask themselves "Is this chord OK? I'd better check with a theory book...."

Still, I appreciate the desire to learn the names of all those sounds (which is really what music theory is about). That page you found is a good one, presenting the building blocks in a sensible order.
Last edited by jongtr at Dec 14, 2016,
jongtr
Alright thanks, i will keep that in mind about stealing parts haha.
But still, i really want to learn it all, and hopefully it will help make my dream come true of being a professional musician one day..