I purchased a Stratocaster Elite SSS the other day and it's showing up tomorrow. Though after realizing the SSS doesn't have the Fast Lane switch like the HSS I tried in-store, I'm thinking of returning it and getting a HSS.
I'm coming from a SSS Squire Starcaster, my skill level is far past it and I'm aiming for a rock pop sound. Like Maroon 5, Imagine Dragons, Coldplay, etc. What are the pros and cons of the SSS and HSS?
By tomorrow you'll have played both yourself, seems like you're in the best position to decide what works for you.

I prefer SSS but a lot of people feel the humbucker adds a lot of versatility for heavier styles. Pros and cons are basically just the different tonal palette from the pickup configuration, which comes down to personal preference. I don't think there's much we can tell you that will help more than playing those guitars and deciding on your own.
^ yeah it just really depends on which you like more, neither's really better. SSS is better if you want a strat, HSS is (arguably) better if you want most of the strat tones but with more scope for the heavier stuff, as colin said.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What'd you decide, OP?

Small rant:
I dislike when people say HSS Strats are more versatile. They don't do MORE, they do a DIFFERENT set of stuff. I get irritated on HSS Strats because I use the Bridge pretty often, and the Bridge/Middle always sounds like garbage. I feel like I always lose a position as a result when there's a Humbucker in there.
You could put a coil split on the hum and you wouldn't loose anything.
"Well reeeer to you too sir...Its the internet. Do you really expect it to be completely serious?" - mcraddict81592
^^ yeah. as i always say, it sort of depends on your definition of "versatile", because there are a few different things that that can mean. Plus it can mean different things to different people.

^ still not quite the same.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?