Well, considering I only placed the order for this guy a few days ago w/ground shipping, I certainly didn't expect it to arrive this quickly....(not that I'm complaining! )

Behold!

Hey! Look what showed up today!

Ah, crap! Packing paper!?

Here we go, now that's more like it! (Hey wait Flight, didn't you just pick up a Maxon pedal recently?)

Woot! The AD-9 Pro!

So, I've always had a thing for the Maxon/Ibanez-9 series pedals (I also own an OD-9, and an old, Ibanez FL-9 from the 80's). I've been wanting a good delay pedal for quite some time now, but just never pulled the trigger on one, because I've always wanted an analog delay (This one in particular, or the original Ibanez-labled variant of yesteryear), and they tend to be quite a bit spendier than digital delays (That, and I was always too busy blowing money on things like pickups and speakers! ). Thankfully, through holiday season discount coupons, and funds from some other gear I sold, I was finally able to make owning one a reality! The AD-9 Pro is a newer, souped-up version of the original AD-9 made during the 80's. I will post a detailed review to elaborate.

Build Quality - I said it in my review of the OD-9 I recently picked up, and I'll say it again - You certainly don't need to worry about build quality w/Maxon stuff. These reissues/re-makes of the old 9-series pedals are made using high quality (dare I say, corksniffer-approved?) components. The pedal itself is rock-solid, and feels well put together. Improvements were made to the circuitry over the original AD-9 to reduce unwanted noise, and as an effort to make this a rather transparent delay pedal, to which I feel Maxon has succeeded in (More info on that later in the review!). True bypass 4DPT switching is also a plus that the originals didn't get.

Features/Tone - Perhaps the first thing I'll mention is one common complaint about the original AD-9 - That the delay time is too short (300ms) - This has been addressed in the AD-9 Pro (to some degree), by bumping up the delay time capacity to 450 ms. Visually, the AD-9 Pro is very much like the original pedal it is based off of, except there is a new feature w/the toggle switch under the delay time knob - a single/dual switch - This switch allows you to go from a normal delay signal (single), or a "dual-mode" delay, where the midstream delay signal is added onto a regular delay signal, allowing for more possible, wild sounds out of this pedal. There is also a "dry" output to send out a dry signal from the delay pedal while it is on, if so desired.

Tone wise, this pedal offers warm, natural, but transparent tone. It really doesn't color your tone in any way - just adds a classic warm, analog delay effect as desired. There are a lot of cool sounds you can coax out of this pedal. It's great for a light touch of delay on your lead guitar licks (ala 80's hair metal style), as it is also great for creating a rockabilly slap-back style delay (Something I'm really starting to wish I had a strat/Gretsch, and a tweed amp for!). With the delay time cranked, and turning up the feedback (repeats) as desired, you can really spice up clean passages, or even palm mute riffage with the resulting echo effect. Try stumming a chord/note and tweaking the delay time knob while the notes are ringing if you feel like getting really weird!

Overall - Overall, I'm not sure how I've managed to go this long without a quality delay pedal in the rig, but I'm very glad I scored this little gem. It's a surprisingly versatile little delay pedal for how simple it is to use (Although digital is still king if you need maximum flexibility). It might not be the best choice out there for a value-conscious shopper, but if you're looking for a great, vintage sounding analog delay pedal, you really can't go wrong with this option. The improvements made to this version make it work seeking out over the original as well!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Day...day...daydadaydadadddddaadadadaabueerergBLLLLLLEUUUUUUURGGGGGGURGUEGUEG.urg..urg...urg....urg........urg

Neat. Sounds like a really cool pedal to appease the corkers!

Also congrats for discovering that you now need a Gretsch to go with it.

Does seem pricey for what you're getting though.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
i had one of those, great delay.

nails the 80's crue lead tone imo.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
sorry for my delayed.....response (couldn't resist). nice grab I had an Ibanez AD-9 back in the 80s and it was pretty cool. 450 ms still kinda on the short side but I'm sure you'll make it work for you.
sweet

Quote by gregs1020

nails the 80's crue lead tone imo.

is that a thing people want?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Also congrats for discovering that you now need a Gretsch to go with it.

Does seem pricey for what you're getting though.
Maybe one of these days on a Gretsch...I've already bought 2 guitars this year though, so...

I'd agree with you that this pedal (along w/most of the Maxon 9-series based stuff) isn't the most cost effective analog delay option out there (That title may belong to the MXR Carbon Copy, another option I considered, but I caved in for my love of 80's era/style gear). But at what I was able to get it for, I'd certainly say it was better than spending almost as much for a nice, original AD-9 w/no dual mode or true bypass, and less delay time. I'm happy with it regardless .

Quote by Dave_Mc
I actually kind of like Mick Mars' Shout at the Devil and Dr.Feelgood era tones . Although they're not my first choice for 80's rock/metal tones, either (I'm more one for Jake.E.Lee & early Metallica tones from that decade).
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
sweet. i am not sure i have ever played one. i will have to go check it out next time i go to sam ash.

for delays i like my malekkos. (big surprise right...) i have four.

maxon makes nice stuff though. i want one of their compressors.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Dave_Mc

what? i can't be the only guy that like to rock the crue from time to time.

dr feelgood, kickstart my heart, shout at the devil, where's WayCoolJr to back me up here? i know that guy gets his crue on.

311 likes john mayer. go pick on him.
Quote by gregs1020

dr feelgood, kickstart my heart, shout at the devil, where's WayCoolJr to back me up here? i know that guy gets his crue on.

don't worry, your are not the only one. crue for the win!

and damn i hate john mayer. lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
first time i ever dropped a D.

was shout at the devil.

fact.

flight! i'm sorry about derailing your NPD thread!
Last edited by gregs1020 at Dec 15, 2016,
Quote by FlightofIcarus

I actually kind of like Mick Mars' Shout at the Devil and Dr.Feelgood era tones . Although they're not my first choice for 80's rock/metal tones, either (I'm more one for Jake.E.Lee & early Metallica tones from that decade).

haha
Quote by gregs1020

oh i like motley crue too, i just didn't realise people wanted mars' lead guitar tone
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?