So I've sort of understand how to do them,

problem is, I can't control when they play very well
For example, I could be doing normal picking, then when I try to pinch harmonic, I have to stop, move my fingers closer to the sharp part of the pick (a jazz3)
then hope it plays well (works about maybe 10% of the time),

how can I do it quicker? I see guitarists in music videos go playing melodies, then quickly do a pinch harmonic then keep playing, how can I do that?
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
You just need to keep working on the technique. Do you do any specific exercises for pinch harmonics? I'd recommend boning up a little bit on the specifics of it, and then just practicing it with the metronome. Pick a note on a string, find the harmonic you want, and then do one beat plucked, one beat pinch, or one measure of each.

And remember that all harmonics are based on the distance between the left hand note and where you create the harmonic with the right hand. You're going to get a different note - or none at all - depending on where your hands are. Practicing finding the different harmonics on the open strings and then with fretted notes. Also find which pickup gets the harmonics the best.
What an interesting question, I never thought about it before because pinch harmonics came pretty naturally to me (that's about the only thing that did! lol).

I just took a good look at how I do it and it seems I just angle the pick downward (so the pointy part is pointing up toward me, as apposed to straight or toward the floor).* I never have to change the position of the pick between my finger and thumb though. I'm usually really choked up on the pick already, as there is only a tiny point sticking out.

Now, obviously there is a change in angle depending on if I'm moving up or down from string to string, but with the pinch harmonics it's even more of an angle, but only just enough to get a tiny bit of thumb meat in there (well, sometimes a lot depending on where I'm at).

The only time I change the position of the pick is if I go into strumming open chords and need more flexibility (and don't want to have to concentrate on how hard I'm hitting the strings). This doesn't really apply much to jazz picks.

*Edit: I just realized that the downward angle of the pick is probably not necessary and it is only a matter of going slightly deeper between the strings. Angling the pick like that might just be a bad habit (seems inefficient) because it turns out I can to it at any angle, but it is harder with it angled upward.
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
Last edited by Prime2515102 at Dec 14, 2016,
(assuming you do pinches with your thumb and not your index finger) maybe make your regular plectrum grip closer to the pinch harmonic grip- i.e. move your thumb etc. closer to the point of the pick so that you don't have to move so much when doing them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
(assuming you do pinches with your thumb and not your index finger) maybe make your regular plectrum grip closer to the pinch harmonic grip- i.e. move your thumb etc. closer to the point of the pick so that you don't have to move so much when doing them.

I find getting pinch harmonics easier using my index finger's fingernail, I tried to do pinch harmonics with my thumb, but I can't get them to work, I sort of twist the pick clockwise maybe 45º as I'm picking, it doesn't seem to work..
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
yeah. i mean, either way is equally valid, as long as you can do them that's ok (though if i were doing them with my index finger i'd be using the flesh of my finger, not my fingernail, but at the same time that should still work I think), just i find it a bit quicker to swap between pinches and non-pinches when i do them with my thumb.

you just need to hit the string with a bit of the flesh of your thumb. the node will feel like it's in a slightly different place too when you do it with your thumb (it's not, just your contact point on your thumb is at a different place, relative to picking, than it is on your index finger) so that might not be helping either.

there should be tutorials on youtube about how to do it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?