http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/12/13/indiana-town-removes-cross-christmas-tree-after-aclu-lawsuit/95384080/

Fatima Hussein, The Indianapolis Star 3:17 p.m. EST December 13, 2016

KNIGHTSTOWN, Ind. — Officials in an Indiana town removed a cross atop the town's Christmas tree because they said they could not win what was expected to be a costly lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union.

"It is with regret and sadness that the Knightstown Town Council has had the cross removed from the Christmas tree on the town square and is expected to approve a resolution at the next council meeting stating they will not return the cross to the tree," the council said in a Facebook post.

The council cites its inability to afford fighting a legal battle with the American Civil Liberties Union, a representative stated in an email to IndyStar.

Indiana's chapter of the ACLU filed a lawsuit against the town, about 40 miles east of Indianapolis, arguing the display of a Latin cross on the town square violates the establishment clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution.

The lawsuit was brought by Knightstown resident Joseph Tompkins. The town of about 2,100 people held a demonstration at the town square Sunday night, dedicated to keeping the cross on the tree.

Curt Hunt, pastor of the Knightstown United Methodist Church, led the event.

"This is demonstrative of the erosion of free expression of religion," Hunt told IndyStar.

"It is unfortunate that town council was forced to take the action," Hunt said. "It's my hope in the future, someone would be able to put forward the case under the First Amendment, that such displays do not violate the establishment of the First Amendment."

Ken Falk, legal director of the ACLU of Indiana, said the decision to bring down the cross is a win for the First Amendment.

"We're obviously very happy and glad the issue could be resolved," Falk said, adding that Tompkins did not seek any monetary damages for the suit.

I first noticed it this year when I went to my local Walmart's last to get a case of Bud Lite, and the cashier said "Happy HOLIDAYS" to me when I was leaving the store. I stopped walking and looked her straight in the eye and I said "Merry CHRISTMAS" to her. It looked like her LITTLE LIBERAL BRAIN couldn't handle what I had just said. I bet she had to go to a safe space after that lol.

When I got home, I cracked open a cold one and checked the news only to see that some GODLESS IDIOT was going to sue a nice CHRISTIAN town over a CROSS ON A CHRISTMAS TREE! Could he be any more stupid???? I mean, CHRIST is right there in the name!!!

Why are some IDIOTS so intent on taking CHRIST out of CHRISTMAS?! Yes, I said CHRISTMAS!!! Even though those DUMBocrats wish it were illegal to say that it isn't and it WILL NEVER BE!

I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Last edited by zgr0826 at Dec 14, 2016,
Hunt told IndyStar that he would have been open to other religions displaying their own holiday decorations over removing the cross from the town Christmas tree.

"If we had a Jewish or Muslim community here, " he said. "I wouldn't have a problem with them displaying (decorations) for their holidays."

C U C K ! ! ! ! ! !

Also what kind of idiot puts a cross on top of a christmas tree anyway? You're supposed to put a star or an angel up there.
I have nothing important to say
It's fine to want to change traditions or introduce new ones. There is nothing inherently wrong with wanting to change the tradition of Christmas into something else.
But if you do so in a forced manner it will be annoying and anger people, plus it can have an impact on a lot of other things that would need a smooth transition (business, media, etc are all affected). I mean, these type of traditions are part of a culture and are interwoven with a lot of other aspects of said culture. To disrupt it for no reason means those other aspects of culture are thrown off balance, which can introduce a lot of problem. It can cause social unrest (e.g causing angry people to post this exact type of thread), affect businesses (who will be forced to change their products, publicity, etc), confuse people. I don't know why you would want to cause something like that, just to change "Merry Christmas" to "Happy Holidays".
Let it change more naturally, or try to change the culture to adopt other traditions and push Christmas aside, or change culture to convince it to change Christmas on its own.

IMO Christmas is fine, it's all superficial stuff anyways, who cares about how you greet other with "Happy Holidays" or whatever.. I'd be completely fine with it being a Chinese holiday or a Sumatran one or whatever
Last edited by gonzaw at Dec 14, 2016,
lmao Curt Hunt
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
anybody remember that movie they made about some small town fighting to keep Christmas

Quote by Banjocal
lmao Curt Hunt

most unfortunate name
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Curt Hunt sounds like he has a...

alright im not even gonna say it. it's just too easy.

it's always funny this time of year when you hear people talking about the war on christmas shit and they go around saying "Merry Christmas" at people. like out of spite.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
should be big star on a xmas tree anyway, gtfo of here with that religious shit. angels are okay too cause they are cute and kinda non-denominational.

what kinda dork still treats xmas as a religious holiday anyway
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
how stupid is a cross on top of a tree anyway

like, form a purely aesthetic standpoint
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Yeah gov't shouldn't favor one religion and also I'd really like a Christmas present.
If you'd been good, then Santa would give you a present.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
What I want Santa can't give.

The violent overthrow of our bourgeois oppressors?

Quote by ErikLensherr

a true Christian would have had a crucifix on top of that tree.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by zgr0826
The violent overthrow of our bourgeois oppressors?

No, Mrs. Santa Clause.
ah c'mon ali don't despair. The Clauses (HA!) might be swingers
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
It's Clausii

Now who's just showing off that they can follow rules?

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Yeah gov't shouldn't favor one religion and also I'd really like a Christmas present.

should've joined secret santa
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by zgr0826
the cashier said "Happy HOLIDAYS" to me when I was leaving the store. I stopped walking and looked her straight in the eye and I said "Merry CHRISTMAS" to her. It looked like her LITTLE LIBERAL BRAIN couldn't handle what I had just said. I bet she had to go to a safe space after that lol.

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by k.lainad

Thanks. I was literally just emulating some of my family on the Book of Visages.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by zgr0826
Fatima Hussein

War on Christmas intensifies
Looks like this Joseph Tompkins guy might be geeting a visit from Krampus this year!

Someone say Merry Christmas and the recipient of that greeting can reply Happy Hanukka, Kwanzaa ________ (insert preferred religious celebration), there now both have stated to each what religion they are celebrating and no need to get butthurt about it.

I prefe Festivus specifically the airing of greivences and feats of strength!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus#Festivus_miracles
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

It's a Christmas tree.... ummm. You know, Christmas, the holiday that Christians celebrate? What's the big deal with putting a cross on an already religious object? And you can put an angel but not a cross? Lmfao, k.

And TS thinks he's so funny by pointing out how intolerant Christians, or "Merry CHRISTMAS" people are when really, does he remember what started this whole thing? Hmm, wasn't it intolerant people freaking out that somebody said Merry Christmas to them? It's now an offensive thing to say that during the holidays. I don't blame people for being mad when there is no reason to be offended by it. none. People don't say Merry Christmas anymore and that's sad.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by StewieSwan
how stupid is a cross on top of a tree anyway

like, form a purely aesthetic standpoint

It's christianity, put a cross on everything
Necklace? Put a cross on it
Car? Put a cross on it
Your own body? Put a cross on it

"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
Obviously this is the biggest affront to the true meaning of Christmas. Not the blind materialism that takes over during this time of year
Quote by jakesmellspoo
a true Christian would have had a crucifix on top of that tree.

Can we hook it up to a fountain so blood can spurt out of the wounds? That seems pretty festive.
Quote by Carnivean
It's a Christmas tree.... ummm. You know, Christmas, the holiday that Christians celebrate? What's the big deal with putting a cross on an already religious object? And you can put an angel but not a cross? Lmfao, k.

And TS thinks he's so funny by pointing out how intolerant Christians, or "Merry CHRISTMAS" people are when really, does he remember what started this whole thing? Hmm, wasn't it intolerant people freaking out that somebody said Merry Christmas to them? It's now an offensive thing to say that during the holidays. I don't blame people for being mad when there is no reason to be offended by it. none. People don't say Merry Christmas anymore and that's sad.

Ah, yes, I remember the Bible verse well, "And yea, Lord, shalt we fell a mighty fir tree to commemorate the birth of our savior! And shalt we then put it into a communal area, and decorate it with lights and popcorn and other goofy shit, and verily it shall please the Lord our God."
Quote by Carnivean
People don't say Merry Christmas anymore and that's sad.

I was literally told "Merry Christmas" by like 5 different places over the weekend when I was shopping. I heard "Happy Holidays" once.

As for the phrase Happy Holidays, it's been used commonly in the US for over 100 years, fam. Calm thineself.

Quote by ErikLensherr

even Kurt Hunt would have been less obvious, they definitely named him Curt on purpose
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I wish people would exercise their basic human right to common sense.

Be mindful that not everyone enjoys Christmas, wants to celebrate it or is able to celebrate it for whatever reason, be that religious or your personal situation and so on. Shoving endless positivity and Christmas messages into the faces of these people can be annoying to some and offensive to others.

Equally pissing on other people's happiness or taking offence to a seasonal greeting offered with sincerity just because it's not your thing is stupid and selfish really you should just take these things in the spirit they are offered and get on with your life.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

a star would have looked way better, but why is this such a big deal. The dude said he would display other religions if they asked. someone filing a lawsuit over that seems like a real cunt
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by zgr0826
I was literally told "Merry Christmas" by like 5 different places over the weekend when I was shopping. I heard "Happy Holidays" once.

As for the phrase Happy Holidays, it's been used commonly in the US for over 100 years, fam. Calm thineself.

Na you and other people who get offended by the phrase "Merry christmas" should calm down. Seriously, what the fuck
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
no, YOU calm down.
Quote by Carnivean
Na you and other people who get offended by the phrase "Merry christmas" should calm down. Seriously, what the fuck

>implying I actually get offended

Nice assumption. I personally don't give a shit either way. Both parties being outraged is hilarious to me. It's just that the vast majority of the stuff I see regarding this topic comes from people being offended by "Happy Holidays" and Christmas non-specificity with a handful of stuff like the news story in the OP in the mix. For that reason, I made a satirical post using that perspective.

Quote by ErikLensherr

One thing I learned that it's better to say Happy Holidays than to tell a black guy Merry Kwanza my nigga because of the cop shootings
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011