I keep seeing rave reviews for this clean boost pedal, but the reviews all state that its hard to really describe what it does. Needless to say, I'm intrigued by such a mysterious pedal that apparently adds "it" to your tone, but also confused because apparently it's hard to describe. Has anyone had time with this pedal that would be able to tell me 1) if it's worth it and 2) any description of what it affects, tone wise. Thanks a lot!
Quote by Dinglebuttz
I keep seeing rave reviews for this clean boost pedal, but the reviews all state that its hard to really describe what it does. Needless to say, I'm intrigued by such a mysterious pedal that apparently adds "it" to your tone, but also confused because apparently it's hard to describe. Has anyone had time with this pedal that would be able to tell me 1) if it's worth it and 2) any description of what it affects, tone wise. Thanks a lot!

It's essentially an Echoplex EP-3 style preamp in a box.

Depends on what you mean by 'worth it' and depends on what you're looking to get out of the pedal tbh. Are you looking for a straight clean boost with a lot of headroom? Are you looking for something you can shove in front of a distorted signal etc...
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It's essentially an Echoplex EP-3 style preamp in a box.

Depends on what you mean by 'worth it' and depends on what you're looking to get out of the pedal tbh. Are you looking for a straight clean boost with a lot of headroom? Are you looking for something you can shove in front of a distorted signal etc...

One review I read said he just left it permanently on and it added some "harmonic depth" to his tone, and that it's hard to describe but once you hear it you will never not use it. I play mostly hard rock and metal (megadeth, maiden, metallica, acdc, red fang, the sword, etc) so I'm working on getting some pedals to round out my setup. I'll listen to some review vids and samples tonight when I get home to get an audible reference.
Quote by Dinglebuttz
1. One review I read said he just left it permanently on and it added some "harmonic depth" to his tone, and that it's hard to describe but once you hear it you will never not use it. 2. I play mostly hard rock and metal (megadeth, maiden, metallica, acdc, red fang, the sword, etc) so I'm working on getting some pedals to round out my setup. I'll listen to some review vids and samples tonight when I get home to get an audible reference.

1. I like drugs too.

2. Okay, and what are you looking to get out of the pedal?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Mostly just wondering if it will thicken up my tone some. I would like to have a "big" sound.

Also, lol'd at the drugs part.
Quote by Dinglebuttz
Mostly just wondering if it will thicken up my tone some. I would like to have a "big" sound.

Also, lol'd at the drugs part.

It's a pretty warm sounding pedal so if you're looking to soften up some edge when you're boosting it definitely is good at that. I only tried it in the store though and I don't own one so YMMV.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I liked mine when I had it and it does add some warmth to the amp, I played it through my Marshall as well as my old 3 channel Dual rec. It sounded great with the Dual Rec, but it was just ok through the marshall.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
If you're just looking to thicken up the sound check out the TC Electronic Mimiq. It will double, triple, or quad track your signal with a tightness control.

I asked Santa for one. . .

I use the clean boost side of my Budda Zenman for my clean boost needs into the high gain channels of my Dual Rec Roadster and it's great!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I got rid of mine because it colored the tone too much.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
If you're looking to add a pedal to alter the fundamental nature of your basic tone, it's probably a bad idea - for that you need to get a new amp. If you're missing Ooomph etc, no pedal will p[provide it if your amp can't deliver it on it's own.