Page 1 of 2
This last year has been rough. I can't hold a song at all with my voice, my guitar playing is average. I always believed before that maybe I could do something with my music but now I realize that I pretty much suck. So I'm pretty much transitioning into a music hopeful into more of an amateur collector & arm chair noodler. When did you realize your music pretty much sucks?
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
bit of a leading question
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Pretty much from the beginning. I've been in a musical rut for awhile, and honestly haven't touched my guitar in, well, too long. I should get back to it but I know I won't be able to pull myself out of the rut unless I get people to play with.
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
The moment I played an open E on bass and my amp shot itself.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by Prototype4342
Pretty much from the beginning. I've been in a musical rut for awhile, and honestly haven't touched my guitar in, well, too long. I should get back to it but I know I won't be able to pull myself out of the rut unless I get people to play with.

I got rent to pay, car payments, etc. Hey man, it's tough being a single man living on your own while making just under 20k a year. I've spent so much on music, I just don't know if it's worth it anymore. Not saying I won't ever make any more music purchases again, but damn financially I am depleted. I cannot justify spending any more money on music when all I put out is hot garbage. My dream is never going to happen.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
When I realised that I wasn't very talented and everybody around me wanted to play the same old shit all the time; effectively pushing me out of any collaborative efforts that would help me get a foothold on the industry.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Music is whatever you make of it. Bob Dylan can't sing and Django had no hope as a guitarist with a badly burned left hand. Somehow they made do. It's way more about passion and perseverance than how much we spend on gear. If one path isn't working, take a different path... or not.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
never thought my music sucked so I wouldn't put it that way. I did the band thing back in the mid 80s to early 90s before I figured that being a rock star wasn't in the cards. none of the bands I was in sucked but none had that special something that leads to success either. it's a total crap shoot as well. where I grew up had a decent music scene but not one that really had bands get signed. a couple of friends went to LA to "make it big" both found out that being the big fish in a small pod back home didn't mean squat in a place like LA. I still write music and play just not really making any real money from music.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
lol so much negativity.

As cliche as it sounds, It's more about being passionate than anything. It's about being being willing to give up everything just to follow your dreams.

Sure, I'll probably never make it big and make a living creating and performing my music, but I'll keep doing what I do until I die. I have a great singing voice, so that's a plus. I'll make as many albums as i can, I'll keep learning my way around a guitar, piano, etc. if you have talent, you don't let it go to waste.

Your success or failure is up to you, I'll keep striving to be the best I can be, no matter if it's just a side hobby.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

When I bought a pc to replace my laptop
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; man got to tell himself he understand.

when I couldn't pull away from the sheet music and last for more then a line or too. I guess if I ever thought it was gonna go somewheres I would have tried playing more without it in front of me. 20 years of this

part of this is also because I don't play the same song for too long and therefore never get any one piece nailed down by heart completely
Last edited by mattedbird at Dec 14, 2016,
I got gigs coming up in the next year with Grammy winners and platinum sellers.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
That moment when I transcended any semblance of music theory and wrote a song in 5/4. I've become too far advanced for music.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Dec 14, 2016,
I play because I like to play. I'll never be a musician.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
I don't think my music sucks, not that it's going anywhere which is more a matter of luck, timing, location and having the right band mates.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

For me the most sobering moment was when I started seeing money I've lost on music coming back by working in a studio and recording different versions of myself. Then following these guys 5-10 years further since that time and we're all as much signed as always.
It's not that you realize you suck. Nobody writes a one-hit wonder right off the bat. It's that you realize the amount of dedication it takes to be (your idea of) decent is more than you expected. You can still work at it if you have it, but most musicians fail because they realize too late that they don't.

Namely, it involves sacrificing a chunk of your time practicing to get good. But that's just for writing good music. Getting it out there and being successful is a different topic entirely.

I never realized my music sucks because I never wrote music to begin with lol. Realizing I didn't have any improvisational skills took longer than I'd like to admit though. But being able to learn any song I hear is pretty neat, so I'm happy.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Dec 14, 2016,
Guys, I just went over the songs I wrote from the last 5 years, there are only TWO songs that I would play in front of people. I mean Jesus Christ. On a scale from 1 to 10 I don't know like it's pretty bad. I just tried playing a few of my old songs & I didn't realize how bad I suck, I mean God damn. I have literally no musical talent at all & I felt like I was a God or something before. This dream is never going to happen for me. I just spent 5k on guitars, I could have put that money on my car. Jesus Christ I am such a douchebag. wow.
Last edited by NewDayHappy at Dec 15, 2016,
I feel like my rather optimistic post went unread. You can write music you're proud of with proper effort. Giving up on it just because you don't like what you've done so far is entirely on you though.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Dec 15, 2016,
Quote by ultimate-slash
When I bought a pc to replace my laptop

This is like 2 jokes in 1 nice
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Find out what is awful about your songs, good luck not being biased, and fix them. Decide why your making them, who for, and goals are good. Sell some equipment you could do the same with 1 guitar. There's only so many notes to be played.
Joshua Garcia

I mean good God damn, how much damn dedication are we talking about here? I don't think you know how much I play. I mean this is kind of the point of the thread, I mean I played hours & hours & I have nothing to show for. It really hurts bad when you put 100% effort into something, you tried your damn best & you're still not good enough. It makes me feel like a retard, I probably am. What's ironic is, I am a retard with a God complex.
Stop being self-loathing. That's not getting you anywhere.

How long have you been playing? Because saying you've put "hours and hours" into practice gives me the impression that you're just being impatient and expecting amazing results. Could take years if you're serious about it.

Practicing doesn't just mean knowing how to play an instrument right. As a writer, it also means picking apart what you like from music you hear and transcribing that into your own. Much like pizza guy up there said, you have to be able to tell specifically what about your music you don't like and where you'd like to improve. And the only way to be able to do that efficiently is to keep at it.
Quote by SGstriker

Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Dec 15, 2016,
Joshua Garcia

I've been a serious player since 2010. SO about 7 years. Started studying music in about 2012-2013. From 2013-2015 sometimes I would play 5-6 hours in a day. Don't get me wrong, I have seen some improvements, I am just a little disappointed that my earlier work was so awful. Once again, not sure if this is self loathing or not but intelligence wise I am average, my emotional IQ is low. IDK man, just sucks to say, well there went 5 years & I only have two gems. I just took all my old notes and threw them in the trash, I wish I had a fireplace I'd burn them.
So stop buying gear and start gigging in front of people. Get out of the bedroom and play music with other musicians. Hopefully players that are better than you. Play anything, anywhere, anytime and you will begin to understand what music attracts people and what repels them.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
The way I see it, writing music is just as daunting as learning a new instrument. You will see failures and it can get frustrating, sure. But the more you try, the better you get. You just have to change your mindset from "this song sucks, I'll never play again" to "this song sucks, what can I do to improve upon it?" and keep doing that until you get an idea of what you like and can be proud of.

Skills can only take you so far. Take me for example. I can just about play literally anything on the guitar, but I have no skills writing music because I never put any effort into trying. But you have a start. And although you may not like it, it's more of a beginning, so you should keep working at it.

But that's just the way I see it. Again, I've never tried writing anything myself, so I wouldn't blame you if you think it sounds like I'm talking out of my arse.
Quote by SGstriker

I never thought that I'll be successful with music to begin with.
I study Computer Engineering and University already takes that much time that I can't be in a band.
Having fun and enjoying music are already enough reason to make me play guitar though.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
The way I see it, writing music is just as daunting as learning a new instrument. You will see failures and it can get frustrating, sure. But the more you try, the better you get. You just have to change your mindset from "this song sucks, I'll never play again" to "this song sucks, what can I do to improve upon it?" and keep doing that until you get an idea of what you like and can be proud of.

Skills can only take you so far. Take me for example. I can just about play literally anything on the guitar, but I have no skills writing music because I never put any effort into trying. But you have a start. And although you may not like it, it's more of a beginning, so you should keep working at it.

But that's just the way I see it. Again, I've never tried writing anything myself, so I wouldn't blame you if you think it sounds like I'm talking out of my arse.

Nah, you're not talking out your arse. This post helped me a lot actually. When I first started out I learned a few cover songs to get acclimated with chord formations. Lessons wise, I never was interested in taking lessons because I felt like it would rob my creativity. I don't want to learn somebody else's style, I want to create my own.

IT IS a beginning though, but when I look back at it? Singing at the top of my lungs & writing lame pieces man. My dad always told me that the music industry is a rough industry. Sheesh, was not lying my friend.
Songwriting is definitely a skill in and of itself that requires practice. Just as much, if not more than the physical techniques.

Quote by NewDayHappy
I don't want to learn somebody else's style, I want to create my own.

I don't think that's the way to look at it. Everybody forms their own style through osmosis, soaking in all the various music they listen to, combining it in their own way, and through that they emerge with their personal style. Imagine trying to speak a language you've never heard. Now, if you focus on learning one particular artist you can pull from one influence to the point that you start to sound like a copycat. The trick is to learn lots of music in lots of styles.

I've personally really slowed down over the past few years. I've slowly spent less and less time practicing or even just playing by myself, and I've gotten to the point where I'm not really improving anymore, because I'm not really working on it anymore. I got to a fairly high level of playing, music theory, and writing and then just kinda stopped progressing. Not because I can't get better, but I've just lost the motivation. I mainly just play with other people now, and since my band fell apart a couple of years ago it's just kinda every once in a while with friends. I never really thought I would be a "rockstar" or make money off of it, but I did want to at least be somewhat known in the local scene etc. My old band never quite got to that point. We had some good material and everybody in the band was pretty damn good, but we spent too much time just jamming in the shed and practicing and only had a few small gigs, though the ones we had went pretty well. Idk, eventually I might end up in a band that does alright locally at least, but it's not really a priority for me at the moment. I'm more focused on trying to get a good long term job, move out, and get my life started. Music is secondary right now. I just have fun playing whenever I have someone to jam with, and that's enough.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Dec 15, 2016,
Quote by The4thHorsemen
Songwriting is definitely a skill in and of itself that requires practice. Just as much, if not more than the physical techniques.

I don't think that's the way to look at it. Everybody forms their own style through osmosis, soaking in all the various music they listen to, combining it in their own way, and through that they emerge with their personal style. Imagine trying to speak a language you've never heard. Now, if you focus on learning one particular artist you can pull from one influence to the point that you start to sound like a copycat. The trick is to learn lots of music in lots of styles.

I've personally really slowed down over the past few years. I've slowly spent less and less time practicing or even just playing by myself, and I've gotten to the point where I'm not really improving anymore, because I'm not really working on it anymore. I got to a fairly high level of playing, music theory, and writing and then just kinda stopped progressing. Not because I can't get better, but I've just lost the motivation. I mainly just play with other people now, and since my band fell apart a couple of years ago it's just kinda every once in a while with friends. I never really thought I would be a "rockstar" or make money off of it, but I did want to at least be somewhat known in the local scene etc. My old band never quite got to that point. We had some good material and everybody in the band was pretty damn good, but we spent too much time just jamming in the shed and practicing and only had a few small gigs, though the ones we had went pretty well. Idk, eventually I might end up in a band that does alright locally at least, but it's not really a priority for me at the moment. I'm more focused on trying to get a good long term job, move out, and get my life started. Music is secondary right now. I just have fun playing whenever I have someone to jam with, and that's enough.

ye this is correct, even jimi Hendrix had many influences. try to absorb the best part of all your loved artists and then you can contribute a verse... your music taste is who you are as a musician
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
I think Josh Homme from QOTSA has it about right. In the Guitar Moves episode he says at the end that you should never expect anything back off music. Play, enjoy and see what happens.

I think a lot of musicians never expect to get to the level they do, so they just play the stuff they wanna plan. Sometimes people wanna hear that, sometimes not. Sometimes they discover it twenty years later and force a reform, e.g. Sleep!
Gibson SG 2016 1960's Tribute
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Marshall DSL100H
Marshall 1960B 4x12
ProCo Rat 2
I am for just rocking out and not giving a damn sure I got bills and shit got to work but when I get home its time to rock out probably will never make me rich but my kids might be rich one day so we are good
Wise man once said, " If you ever get lost in the woods, just start jacking off someone will see you."
In my 20s I started working the oldies circuit. Bands like The Platters, Chuck Berry, The Tokens, Starship, 3 Dog Night, etc. I realized then that most musicians go nowhere in general no matter how successful they were. These were once huge acts who end up playing in reservation casinos, county fairs and stale corporate parties (yes, including Chuck Berry). It was pretty much a wake up moment for my young self on the dark side of the music industry. All of these acts had debts up the ass and kept performing into their old age to keep paying the bills cuz they got ripped off somewhere down the line.
Quote by Cajundaddy
It's way more about passion and perseverance than how much we spend on gear.
I would say perseverance more than anything else. Most of the people who make it outside of shortcuts like talent shows and that (which I don't have an issue with, but is a different kettle of fish) have a point at which they do make some level of "leap" out of security so that they can dedicate more time to their music.

Quote by rich.bendall
I think Josh Homme from QOTSA has it about right. In the Guitar Moves episode he says at the end that you should never expect anything back off music. Play, enjoy and see what happens.
Good angle, but I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to get somewhere and working to make it happen.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Page 1 of 2