Hey guys. I'm a hobby guitar player and I like playing covers of my favorite bands, eg Ensiferum, COB, Cradle, Ozzy, Bolt Thrower, Mercyful Fate, etc. I was hoping I could get some advice on what gear I would need to record videos for youtube? as I don't know much regarding interfaces and recording technology. If you had any links or advice I could use to learn about it I'd appreciate any you could share with me.
Thread was moved to forum: Guitar Gear & Accessories
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Hellhound221 the cheapest way to go is get a small interface 1 or 2 channel, a pair of headphones, a DAW and an amp simulation software.

The next upgrade would be: SM57 to record a tube amp and a pair of studio monitors. Even reasonably priced monitors would work as for electric guitar you do not need the crazy low end of bigger speakers, so some mid-range monitors would do.

SM57 works great on guitar cabs. It also does a decent job for dialog, singing and acoustic guitar. A Small Diaphragm Condenser or SDC is better for dialog if you decide to talk in the videos. It is also way better than a 57 for acoustic guitar. A Large Diaphragm Condenser or LDC is ideal for singing and could work on acoustic guitar (but I generally prefer SDC).

If you grab an interface with 4 or 8 channels you would be spending more but you would save money in future as you have more channels to expand.

If you choose which one is within your budget and needs maybe I can suggest some gear.
Last edited by Gab_Azz at Dec 15, 2016,
Quote by Hellhound221
Hey guys. I'm a hobby guitar player and I like playing covers of my favorite bands, eg Ensiferum, COB, Cradle, Ozzy, Bolt Thrower, Mercyful Fate, etc. I was hoping I could get some advice on what gear I would need to record videos for youtube? as I don't know much regarding interfaces and recording technology. If you had any links or advice I could use to learn about it I'd appreciate any you could share with me.
Solid mic, Audio Interface, camera, DAW, headphones, and video software.

SM57 are fine mics to record guitar speakers. Mackie Onyx Blackjack or Scarlett 2i2 for the interface. If you have a smart phone you already have a decent camera. Audacity is fine for a basic DAW if you just need to record, do basic EQ and volume adjusting. I use Hitfilm 4 Express as my video software, works great and is free. If you are monitoring your signal while you are recording, you may want noise-isolating headphones. SE215's are relatively cheap IEM's with solid response and isolate. AKG K240 studio are cheap reasonably responsive open-back cans.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 19, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane
Solid mic, Audio Interface, camera, DAW, headphones, and video software.

SM57 are fine mics to record guitar speakers. Mackie Onyx Blackjack or Scarlett 2i2 for the interface. If you have a smart phone you already have a decent camera. Audacity is fine for a basic DAW if you just need to record, do basic EQ and volume adjusting. I use Hitfilm 4 Express as my video software, works great and is free. If you are monitoring your signal while you are recording, you may want noise-isolating headphones. SE215's are relatively cheap IEM's with solid response and isolate. AKG K240 studio are cheap reasonably responsive open-back cans.

2i4 would be better if you are also recording with VST since it has pads and the 2i2 doesnt. Also IIRC the 2i4 has hd outs which might be a deal breaker for some people.

Hitfilm 4 is good for stuff but I prefer DaVinci Resolve. The color correction is better and is a bit more user friendly.

Smartphones are decent but you still need a budget lighting rig to get really good shots.

Audacity is okay but spending the bucks or whatever to get Reaper I would prefer. You get better plugin containers with bridges that work really well and really decent options without spending a ton.

As for free stuff, if you want some cool free amps, LePou does a Hybrit (marshall) Lecto (recto) Le456 (ENGL) and cab emulations and Nick Crow does the 8505 which is a great 6505 emulation.

TSE makes a nice TS clone (TSE 808) and Toruga Audio Line (TAL) can cover the rest of your modulation needs.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Dec 20, 2016,