Poll: Little Martin LX1 vs Little Martin LXM
Poll Options
View poll results: Little Martin LX1 vs Little Martin LXM
Little Martin LX1
2 100%
LIttle Martin LXM
0 0%
Voters: 2.
I'm leaning towards getting a Little Martin to learn on because I really like the size, but i'm torn on the LX1 and LXM...

You would think the LX1 would be the better buy because it has a solid top but a lot of the reviews I have read said the all lamanite LXM sounded better which is confusing.
I do think the Taylor GS Mini sounds better but i'm really drawn to the size of the Martin being a female with smaller hands.
the size of the guitar doesn't really mean much when it comes to hand size - the size of the neck means more, but the little martin has a standard width of neck.

and btw, mysteriously i, too, found the all lam little martin sounded a little better. but i'd get the GS mini if price wasn't an object. it has the same scale length and width as the little martin but the bigger body adds a little more oomph.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I think the GS Mini is vastly preferable to the Lil Martin. They aren't on par, at all. The GS-Mini is one of the best guitars in the world at it's price point, bar none. No offense to the Lil Martin...but they just aren't nearly as good. For the record I also think Taylor's next rung down from the GS Mini, the Taylor BigBaby, is also much better than the LX1.

The Lil Martin is more comparable to the Baby Taylor. They are both good starter instruments I think. I still prefer the Taylor to Martin. I love the necks on Taylor guitars. Regarding handsize....I'd imagine the Taylor would be better for smaller hands. The neck is slimmer.

What's the difference between the LX1 and the LXM? Aren't they essentially the same scale length, neck size, etc?
Last edited by TobusRex at Dec 15, 2016,
I think the Little Martin sounds better than the Baby Taylor and I don't like the build quality of the Baby Taylor.
Does the GS mini have a thinner neck than the Little Martin? You would think a Little Martin would be easier to learn on because it's a 3/4 scale.
Last edited by gcrr at Dec 15, 2016,
I wouldn't get too hung up on the short scale. IIRC the GSM is 24", the LM 22 1/2", that's only just over one fret. You can always use a capo until you get used to the longer scale.

What don't you like about the BT construction? I know that the heel-less neck looks pretty ugly, but is very functional as it allows the neck to be shimmed if the geometry of the guitar deteriorates. All modern Taylors have a bolt-on necks, it is just better disguised in the more expensive models, and I see it as a very big plus compared to Martin's glued neck joints.

It is so long since I played an LM that I can't remember how it compares to the GSM.
I'm thinking of getting the Little Martin LX1E and upgrading to a bone saddle like someone suggested.
gcrr

Quote by gcrr
I think the Little Martin sounds better than the Baby Taylor and I don't like the build quality of the Baby Taylor.
Does the GS mini have a thinner neck than the Little Martin? You would think a Little Martin would be easier to learn on because it's a 3/4 scale.

They have the same neck width, which surprises me - 1.6875" . It doesn't surprise me you don't like the Baby Taylor's sound. It's rather "uke-ish" to my ears, thanks to the small body. The Lil Martin also sounds "small", to me.

Don't worry about replacing the nut or saddle until you've played the guitar and seen if the nut/saddle are good enough. They probably are since they are TUSQ.

Good luck with your new instrument. May it bring you much joy.
Quote by gcrr

i totally agree. i've never liked the taylor baby's sound.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!