My index finger nail is ruined from hitting the string with my nail when I strum, I want to get into classical playing and I also want to grow my nails out to play, so I don't know how to prevent the deformity of one of the most important nails. If anyone has any ideas PLEASE HELP!
What about a bigger pick, and grip further away from the strings?
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
Quote by Parac
What about a bigger pick, and grip further away from the strings?

I think adjusting the picking technique to use only the tip of the pick and not making contact with the nail is more beneficial in the long run. TS just needs to be patient and practice carefully. My nails don't hit the strings when I play with a pick and I grip very close to the tip, so I see no reason TS couldn't adapt as well.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
I think adjusting the picking technique to use only the tip of the pick and not making contact with the nail is more beneficial in the long run. TS just needs to be patient and practice carefully. My nails don't hit the strings when I play with a pick and I grip very close to the tip, so I see no reason TS couldn't adapt as well.

That's a good idea I found that I come on to the string with my nail hitting the string with my pick so I probably need to adjust the angle of my picking hand.
Nerdbiscuit
Quote by Nerdbiscuit
My index finger nail is ruined from hitting the string with my nail when I strum, I want to get into classical playing and I also want to grow my nails out to play, so I don't know how to prevent the deformity of one of the most important nails. If anyone has any ideas PLEASE HELP!

I had the exact same issue ! My solution was to use the big pearl purple Dunlop Jazz Stubby- it's basically a Bass pick, it's huge and has a big recess in the middle, and your nail never gets in the way - it takes a bit of adjusting to it but they sound great and you can rip up a fretboard with them. It completely eliminated my issue.
Quote by reverb66
Nerdbiscuit

I had the exact same issue ! My solution was to use the big pearl purple Dunlop Jazz Stubby- it's basically a Bass pick, it's huge and has a big recess in the middle, and your nail never gets in the way - it takes a bit of adjusting to it but they sound great and you can rip up a fretboard with them. It completely eliminated my issue.

Funny thing, I've actually been using the Big Stubby 3mm, it's great!