An Epiphone Tobias Tony IV Deluxe. I play guitar but wanted a cheap bass to tool around with, The guy wanted $100 on craigslist, talked him down to $80. It's practically brand new, not a scratch, just needs cleaning. He said he got it a year ago but never played it since he's a drummer. He threw in some picks, gig back and Korg tuner. Wow!

So I kind of bought it on a whim - I mean 80 bucks! - but I don't know much about it (or basses in general). I know it's a budget/economy (made in Indonesia) bass, but how does it stack up against other ones in its class? I understand the pickups can be a bit weak and tinny. I was surprised when I opened the compartment and found a battery for active pickups.

Last edited by Sayonara6String at Dec 15, 2016,
are you sure they're active pups? perhaps active preamp. I believe Tobias is a Gibson brand and Gibson's low end seems pretty good. I just got a cheap Kramer, and I have no complaints. I'd have picked that up for $80 too (USD I assume). Good find.
Yeah thanks! Pretty happy about it so far. Lowered the action (it was high as hell!) and now it plays pretty nicely. Apparently the battery is for the Active Tonexpressor Bass Enhancement Control (with TM trademark logo, lol) whatever that is. I guess it's a preamp of sorts.
a quick google brought me this:

The Toby Deluxe-IV electronics feature classic Tobias-designed pickups with a Tobias SCR™ single coil in the neck and a Tobias SCT™ single coil at the bridge. Controls are all metal knurled knobs and include Neck Volume, Pickup Blend with center Detent, and Master EQ. An Active Tonexpressor™ Bass Enhancement Control enables the player the option of creative blends and is a powerful ally on stage to when you need fine adjustments to cut through dense mixes. The Active Tonexpressor™ uses an easy-to-change 9-volt battery. The bridge is flush-mounted for a low profile and is fully adjustable. Satin finish options include Trans Amber, Trans Black, Trans Red, and Walnut.
Tobias wasn't a low-end guitar from Gibson -- but they never gained much traction with them, so handed them off to Epiphone. This guitar was a $249 (new) instrument made mostly of pine (body) and maple (neck). Pickups aren't active; there's an active tone control that works about the same as the similar setup on some Squier basses. Lots of treble in those pickups, but dialing it down with the tone controls are all that's necessary.
I played one of these once, it wasn't bad actually.

Comparable to the Vintage Modified Squier line, at least I thought so anyway!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
very nice

local shop had the 5 string version... i didn't try it as i didn't know what it was. kind of kicked myself because when i found out what it was it seems to actually be pretty light and i'm a wuss
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes, it's very light, which is great for my old man back!

The guy also gave me the Road Runner gig bag ($70 retail), Korg foot pedal tuner ($80 retail) and picks too! Almost like he was purging music for good.
I love musicians who quit! More gear for me!
Last edited by Sayonara6String at Dec 15, 2016,
Quote by Sayonara6String
Yes, it's very light, which is great for my old man back!

The guy also gave me the Road Runner gig bag ($70 retail), Korg foot pedal tuner ($80 retail) and picks too! Almost like he was purging music for good.
I love musicians who quit! More gear for me!

This is why I browse second hand gear every day.
Quote by Sayonara6String
Yeah thanks! Pretty happy about it so far. Lowered the action (it was high as hell!) and now it plays pretty nicely. Apparently the battery is for the Active Tonexpressor Bass Enhancement Control (with TM trademark logo, lol) whatever that is. I guess it's a preamp of sorts.

Gibson / Epiphone basses come from the factory with obnoxiously high action. Whoever QAs them must have fingers of steel.

Nice find!
Played one at my local shop couple of years back, felt pretty great for the price (~120e).

Was going to buy for gigging back-up/general abuse but it was gone the next day.