Hey folks! I'm setting up a band corner at my house to do some jamming and easy recording. I try not to disturb my neighbors so all players will be wearing headphones. We have an electric drum set, digital multieffects for guitars and other instruments with headphone outputs. Is there anything else to it than just plugging the instrument output jacks into a mixer and getting a headphone splitter to split the full mixer output for multiple headphones? Am I missing anything?

Also, got any recommendations for an affordable (max $200) PA mixer with at least 5 input channels? I've been considering the Behringer X1204 USB but I've seen some mixed reviews.

Thanks a bunch for help guys!
Nope, that is about it. I would suggest to try to match up your headphone splitter and the headphones you get though. I suggest to make sure the individual outputs of the splitter are rated at an ohm rating equal to or lower than what the headphones are rated at. Also, make sure the headphone splitter outputs wattage lower than what the headphones are rated to handle. For example, a single output rated at 20 ohms, 20mW for headphones rated at 25 ohms, 25mW. Those are not numbers to look for but you see the relation. That prevents your headphones from being stressed from too much power or splitter stressed from too little a load. Having high sensitivity on the headphones is smart too have efficient headphones, that way volume does not have to be gunned to get usable results.

One thing you may want to look for on the board is how many buses or aux-outs the mixer will have. If you just use one output, everyone will be listening to the same mix. Which is not necessarily bad, but if each person has their own mix it may make practicing a little better. But you will need to get isolated headphone amps for each mix. And know what kind of signal the bus or aux outputs, and get a headphone amp that can take that level of signal. If the board has some reverb or delay effects for vocals or drums, that may be beneficial so the mix does not feel sterile.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 15, 2016,
Personally I like Allen and Heath, Mackie, Yamaha...from higher to lower. Behringer I'd use in some instances where nothing else is available, the quality of the processing and failure rate is a bit high although I do have a Behringer Eurodesk at my rehearsal room, channel 5 got really noisy failed on the 1st year shortly after warranty

You can also look at these silent practice mixers that allow for individual tweaking:

http://www.rolandus.com/blog/2014/10/02/new-product-hs-5-session-mixer/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JHTourBus
Yeah Behringer seems very unreliable with their quality control. I will actually take a leap into the unknown and get a Thomann T.Mix1202FX (https://www.thomann.de/fi/the_t.mix_mix_1202fx.htm ). Retailer's own products are always a big risk but hell, its $90 for 12 channels and effects. That's all I need. I'll report back when have tested it out.