Howdy folks. Has anyone any personal experience with the TronicalTune Motorized Tuning System? I don´t care about it personally, but my friend wants to know and he does not speak English, so I am sort of translating.... He uses different tunings, at least four, as far as I remember and he is looking for ways to avoid dragging around all of his axes to rehearsals and gigs. So could this trona tuna be the answer? Are there any downsides?
Thank you very much in advance for your replies! But, please, no product pimping. Just real user experience. OK?
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Last edited by Airfish at Dec 15, 2016,
They're crap.

The gears in the tuners have been known to strip out easily if you're too rough on them. When the gears strip, the tuners become useless.

They're not that accurate; not nearly as accurate as an electronic chromatic tuner that you'll find the vast majority of people using on their pedalboards. Which begs the question of why even get such a system when you have a more accurate method of tuning right at your very feet. This neatly leads to another obvious disadvantage of the Tronical system, being that you can only use it to tune 1 guitar only, as opposed to an unlimited number of guitars with just a standard pedal tuner.

They suffer the same issues many clip-on tuners do in that environments that have a lot of background noise (such as during a gig) tend to confuse them. This is particularly problematic when the entire novelty of owning a system like this is that you can adjust the tuning of all 6 strings quickly and discreetly during a live gig.

The range of tunings you can achieve with just 1 set of strings is fundamentally limited in nature. So while a guitar with the Tronical system can tune from E standard to drop C, the strings are going to be far too light in gauge to be usable in that tuning and they'll feel like pieces of soggy spaghetti stretched across the guitar. Conversely, the opposite effect happens if you're using very heavy strings and tune from drop C to E standard. The tuners will pull the strings to such a high tension to get to that tuning that the strings will be extremely uncomfortable to bend and the neck will be bowed like a bow and arrow. You might even end up breaking the strings.

If your friend wants to get one of the 2015 Gibson guitars with this system, then he can go ahead. The 2015 Gibson guitars are so universally hated that retailers are having a hard time giving away the guitars. So the value of the 2015's has absolutely plummeted, which is something people who want to get a bargain can take advantage of. Although the Tronical system on those guitars is one among a long list of things about the 2015's that I dislike and none of those other things can easily be replaced like the Tronical tuners can. Such as the extremely wide and thick necks, the "Les Paul 100" logo that the Les Pauls and SG's of that model year have, the tiny size of fretwire they all generally have and the holographic sticker on the back of the headstock. So bear that all in mind if that's the reason your friend is thinking of getting one of those guitars but he's not already aware.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
They're pretty useless for alternate tunings -- you end up with some strings flaccid, some way too tight, and you have a very limited range available.

Buy a Variax guitar.
Thank you guys for your replies so far. But no, my friend is not going to get a 2015 Gibson - he was considering that tronical thing for one of his existing Strats, as a replacement component. And no, he is not going to buy a Variax either, he tried it once and he instantly hated it, he said it felt sort of unnatural or something like that. And he will probably not buy the tronical thing, at least I try to persuade him not to. And that´s why I was more or less looking for negative experience of real users, to show him how stupid his idea was....
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Quote by Airfish
Thank you guys for your replies so far. But no, my friend is not going to get a 2015 Gibson - he was considering that tronical thing for one of his existing Strats, as a replacement component. And no, he is not going to buy a Variax either, he tried it once and he instantly hated it, he said it felt sort of unnatural or something like that. And he will probably not buy the tronical thing, at least I try to persuade him not to. And that´s why I was more or less looking for negative experience of real users, to show him how stupid his idea was....

CHeck your PM's.