Hey guys, so i need some help on buying a really good quality guitar and i have been checking out a few selections for a month but im stuck, ive got a pretty good budget of around £1200 ($1500?). I mostly play stuff in the metal genre with the usual soloing and whatnot, i definitely know i want a floyd rose tremolo on it. So far ive been having my eye on the schecter blackjack atx fr mostly due to me owning a schecter omen extreme currently and i having known what schecter quality is like as well as liking the sound of the blackout pickups, but im also aware there could be some better quality guitars considering schecter is MIK, can any of you guys suggest what other guitars would be better worth spending on? Im not fussed about neck profiles and feel as im pretty chill on that, im mainly concerned with quality
If you judge quality by the logo on the headstock I got some bad news for you Sunshine, I have a few First Act's made by former Gibson Custom Shop luthiers made right here in the USA, If you want a guitar designed in the US and outsourced to S Korea that's fine too. the S Koreans do a really good job, no matter what logo they slap on the headstock on any given day, No Son Schecter doesn't have a factory in S Korea, Its called outsourcing
Nothing wrong with a good MiK guitar. If you find one you really like- as it seems you have- buy it and invest the rest of you budget on a good, genre appropriate amp (if you haven't already).

If you've done THAT, beef up your pedalboard.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Wow thanks for the insight guys, i got people telling me the opposite lol looks like i know what to get
well you can get japanese-made ibanezes for that kind of money (even a bit less) if you like the neck profile ok. the rg655 can be got for under £1000 and has dimarzio pickups, the original edge trem (that's one of the sought-after, gotoh-made ones), etc.

£1200 is slightly weird in that you're not far off some really nice stuff. in fact, if you keep an eye out for deals you may well be able to get something awesome for that budget. in the black friday sale, for example, peach had two music mans (a petrucci and a silhouette) for £999. Regular trems rather than floyds, but I'm just using it as an example. You might get lucky, in other words.

ESP/E-II, Jackson USA (probably need to get lucky with a deal), Ibanez Prestige, Vigier, MusicMan, etc. etc. are all worth a look. I'd have said they're all quite a step-up from MIK Schecters. Heck there are USA-made Schecters, which are a few hundred more than your budget (but i haven't tried them).

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Nothing wrong with a good MiK guitar.

well sure but if he can afford a better guitar...

I mean I like my fretkings but that kind of goes hand in hand with what I paid for them. I wouldn't pay £1200 for them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sure, sure!

I love my Revs- you may know that about me- but I also have guitars that cost 2-3x as much. Hell- if I really did an inventory, I wouldn't be surprised to find the majority of the electrics I own are MiK. All of my Revs (5), 2 if not all 3 of my Fret-Kings, 2 Fernandes, one of my Deans, my Electra...

I just wanted the OP to be clear that MiK guitars are a perfectly fine option...ESPECIALLY if there are other gear issues that need to be addressed.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by Dave_Mc
well you can get japanese-made ibanezes for that kind of money (even a bit less) if you like the neck profile ok. the rg655 can be got for under £1000 and has dimarzio pickups, the original edge trem (that's one of the sought-after, gotoh-made ones), etc.

£1200 is slightly weird in that you're not far off some really nice stuff. in fact, if you keep an eye out for deals you may well be able to get something awesome for that budget. in the black friday sale, for example, peach had two music mans (a petrucci and a silhouette) for £999. Regular trems rather than floyds, but I'm just using it as an example. You might get lucky, in other words.

ESP/E-II, Jackson USA (probably need to get lucky with a deal), Ibanez Prestige, Vigier, MusicMan, etc. etc. are all worth a look. I'd have said they're all quite a step-up from MIK Schecters. Heck there are USA-made Schecters, which are a few hundred more than your budget (but i haven't tried them).

well sure but if he can afford a better guitar...

I mean I like my fretkings but that kind of goes hand in hand with what I paid for them. I wouldn't pay £1200 for them.

That is where I look. for the record, i love my Ibanez prestiges, I have five, and I will be getting the sixth in January.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Sure, sure!

I love my Revs- you may know that about me- but I also have guitars that cost 2-3x as much. Hell- if I really did an inventory, I wouldn't be surprised to find the majority of the electrics I own are MiK. All of my Revs (5), 2 if not all 3 of my Fret-Kings, 2 Fernandes, one of my Deans, my Electra...

I just wanted the OP to be clear that MiK guitars are a perfectly fine option...ESPECIALLY if there are other gear issues that need to be addressed.

yep absolutely you have to look at the big picture, as you said. the fretkings i have, as you said, are easily good enough that if there were some glaring problem with the amp that the amp would be the thing to fix before the guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 17, 2016,
I have a peavey 6505+ combo if that answers the amp questions haha, i was doing some more digging and actually stumbled across an ibanez prestige rg652ahm that looks friggin sick and tops at £1200 after shipping, i went to my local shop and tried out their necks and i must say the neck profile feels like butter for me, real comfortable
yeah, that amp should be fine

gak has some of the regular 655s for £900 (i haven't exactly done an extensive search, other shops may have similar or better prices- and they might be older models so you need to be careful you're not getting something which is ex-demo or worse when the price is too good- one of the gak ones says it's damaged, but the black one doesn't say there's anything wrong), but the ah has the ash body, maple fretboard and HH pickups where the 655 has HSS, basswood body and rosewood fretboard. it just depends on which you prefer.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
faheemhaque

Sounds like you may have to be a winner!