My board has expanded a lot since the beginning of this year. Adding new pedals, and upgrading existing ones. This case is the latter.

I needed a Tubescreamer with some additional EQ controls. I enjoy my TS9, but hearing the same Tubescreamer sound day in, day out got a bit boring so I figured it's time to kick it off the board and get something new. I considered the MXR Custom Badass Modified, the Duncan 805, but after hearing pedal demo after pedal demo, I found myself consistently drawn to this one.

I've known past variants of this pedal for quite some time, and then I heard there was a new version of it released not too long ago. Well, here it is.

Since the pachyderm is rapidly becoming extinct, this one has become all the better sounding.

So yeah, one of the best sounding TS-style pedals I've ever heard. The MKIV Green Rhino. Based loosely on a TS808 but with many upgrades in the name of versatility.

So let me tell you about it. It's different from the old MKII in a few important ways.

. The 'curve' control that existed since the old MKII pedal never really did all that much. Turning it down smooths out your mids a little, but small changes really didn't do very much at all. The new MKIV fixes that. It has replace the 'curve' knob with a 500hz mids control with +/- 12db of boost/cut. This to me seems far more useful, especially for a TS-style pedal that lives in the midrange. Being +/- 12db, both knobs along with the master tone knob are very powerful.

. The pedal is physically a bit smaller in size than the MKII. This is very welcome as the enclosure on the older version was unnecessarily large. The difference isn't huge, but its enough that I don't have to rearrange anything on my board to get it to fit like I probably would've had to with the older one.

. There also exists a 'classic' switch that reverts the MKIV back to the original voicing of the MKI Rhino. The MKII doesn't have that.

So after demoing this pedal against my TS9, after 30 seconds, the Tubescreamer was unplugged, Tossed off my board, put in its original box and thrown in the cupboard and forgotten about. Let me explain why.

Tons more versatility is the most obvious upper hand the GR has. It boosts midrange and cuts bass, but it cuts as much as you want. Or preferably it can add bass back in. The amount of mids it bumps is also 100% tweakable. I thought my 6505 already sounded pretty mean and nasty, but my god. The GR makes my amp sound absolutely massive. Facemelting. Lead playing sounds so smooth, completely absent of unpleasant fuzz and somehow never gets muddy and undefined at the same time. The GR has a bit more dirt and grind than the TS as a clean boost, which is something I really welcome. It just makes the amp sound even angrier. It also has a lot more gain on tap than the TS which isn't surprising. Tonally, it is a lot more like an 808 than a TS9, but the extra versatility and larger range of gain are the obvious differences. Running the pedal in 'classic' mode disables the 100 and 500hz controls and the pedal behaves a lot like a really well sorted 808.

But the most surprising thing to me about this pedal is how beautifully it cleans up. With the high gain channel on, but with my volume knob turned way down, the attack of each note sounds a slight bit delayed and buttery smooth. It behaves a lot more like a tube amp than the TS9. In fact I have a hard time naming another OD that sounds more tube-like to me than this one. The TS by comparison has a more immediate attack. It's more compressed and has more honk. Not necessarily a bad thing by any means, but the GR can do that sort of thing just as well with some tweaking of the 100hz and 500hz, and tone controls. But it also does it far more dynamically than the TS ever could.

So yeah I know this probably sounds like a load of nonsense to everybody but myself, but seriously if you get the chance, go play a MKIV. And then immediately buy one. It's a marked improvement over the MKII in terms of the EQ controls being that much more usable and the option to to go MKI mode is a nice addition.

The board so far:

Anybody wanna buy an excellent condition Ibby TS9 off me?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
The one I had couldn't take having a boost in front of it. It got really noisy. It worked great first in the chain but otherwise it was too noisy to use. Are you finding the same thing with yours?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The one I had couldn't take having a boost in front of it. It got really noisy. It worked great first in the chain but otherwise it was too noisy to use. Are you finding the same thing with yours?

Not really.

To experiment I've put the TS9 in front of it and put the GR in front of the TS9 and neither configuration was really any noisier than the other that was worth being concerned about.

I tend not to stack OD pedals one after the other anyway. Just not something I do.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
T00DEEPBLUE

Nice score!

(Pssst...they're actually family Rhinocerotidae.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
it's yyyuuuuuuuuge!

congrats! it is a very versatile screamer for sure.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
sweet! i have always liked those.

to be honest i kind of forgot about way huge for a while. i want an echo-puss bad.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Nice grab -- and nice review! I might have to consider one of these as well. I felt kind of the same way about my TS-9. It wasn't terrible by a long shot, but once I added an MXR Custom Mod. Badass to my board, the TS-9 never got turned on again. Sold it. The GR you just got sounds maybe even more versatile than my MXR. I'd be interested in having that much control over my mids.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
Nice grab -- and nice review! I might have to consider one of these as well. I felt kind of the same way about my TS-9. It wasn't terrible by a long shot, but once I added an MXR Custom Mod. Badass to my board, the TS-9 never got turned on again. Sold it. The GR you just got sounds maybe even more versatile than my MXR. I'd be interested in having that much control over my mids.

I was considering getting the Badass OD. The 'bump' switch on that pedal sounds very similar to a Green Rhino, if you're curious as to how one would react on your board. Great pedal, the Badass OD is. and I'm sure I wouldn't have gone wrong with it at all if I purchased one. But I think the features of the new GR are really cool. And while it makes no difference to how it sounds, I really like how the Rhino looks
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Sweet

I didn't even know there were different versions Granted, I haven't tried any of them.

I thought the custom badass was a glorified SD1? If so, it'd probably depend on whether you prefer a ts or an sd1... (granted, both are very much in the same ballpark but i usually find i prefer one or the other with specific amps)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Sweet

I didn't even know there were different versions Granted, I haven't tried any of them.

I thought the custom badass was a glorified SD1? If so, it'd probably depend on whether you prefer a ts or an sd1... (granted, both are very much in the same ballpark but i usually find i prefer one or the other with specific amps)

iirc the Custom Badass is a modded SD1 the same way the GR is a modded TS808,

I prefer TS' on amps that are naturally a bit scooped-sounding. The mid hump on the TS complements them perfectly.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
yeah

i haven't tried the badass but the regular sd1 is mid-humped too- it's quite similar to a ts but a little different. a ts can be too smooth and nasal/honky with some amps, i find- if a ts is slightly too much, an sd1 can be better. it won't really help if an amp really doesn't get on with the TS thing at all, but if it's just a little too smooth or middy, an sd1 is a good idea.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
How is it like just by itself? I mean how do you like it as a straight up OD rather than a boost? Have you tried running it with a 7 and how does it handle things like double stops and chords? I have been looking at picking up a TS type deal to use for when I need an OD on the pedal steel for bues or rock lead playing and you have intrigued me. The range of the pedal steel goes down into 7 string range and possibly lower if you go U14 tuning or throw a low F onto a 12 string C6 and so there is always a high chance of playing power chord and dominant 7th chords down that far. Still need to be able to harmonize in 3rds and 6ths through the whole 5+ octave range of the instrument and nothing worse than dirt boxes that sound blah when you start to try and play them triads.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
How is it like just by itself? I mean how do you like it as a straight up OD rather than a boost?

With a clean amp?

I like it a lot more than the TS9, put it that way. It has a wider gain range and it doesn't sound nearly as nasally. It's difficult to describe how exactly it sounds because it entirely depends on how you set the 100 and 500hz controls. With both controls set at 12o'clock it sounds like a less compressed TS808 with a bit more low end. It's a very dynamic and touch sensitive pedal with the volume rolled down.

I know that's cliche, but there's no other way to describe it.
Have you tried running it with a 7

No. I don't own a 7 yet. I'd like to, but I've already spent over £3000 ($5000?) on gear this year alone. I'd restring one of my 6's if I needed a low B tuning, but I just don't tune that low often enough to justify it.

But with that said I'm sure it'll handle it better than most OD's as it's so versatile.
and how does it handle things like double stops and chords? I have been looking at picking up a TS type deal to use for when I need an OD on the pedal steel for bues or rock lead playing and you have intrigued me. The range of the pedal steel goes down into 7 string range and possibly lower if you go U14 tuning or throw a low F onto a 12 string C6 and so there is always a high chance of playing power chord and dominant 7th chords down that far. Still need to be able to harmonize in 3rds and 6ths through the whole 5+ octave range of the instrument and nothing worse than dirt boxes that sound blah when you start to try and play them triads.

Couldn't tell you, don't use the pedal in such a fashion.

But for what its worth, I love it for what I use it for.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
With a clean amp?

I like it a lot more than the TS9, put it that way. It has a wider gain range and it doesn't sound nearly as nasally. It's difficult to describe how exactly it sounds because it entirely depends on how you set the 100 and 500hz controls. With both controls set at 12o'clock it sounds like a less compressed TS808 with a bit more low end. It's a very dynamic and touch sensitive pedal with the volume rolled down.

I know that's cliche, but there's no other way to describe it.

No. I don't own a 7 yet. I'd like to, but I've already spent over £3000 ($5000?) on gear this year alone. I'd restring one of my 6's if I needed a low B tuning, but I just don't tune that low often enough to justify it.

But with that said I'm sure it'll handle it better than most OD's as it's so versatile.

Couldn't tell you, don't use the pedal in such a fashion.

But for what its worth, I love it for what I use it for.

Thanks. I'll have to try one out and see I guess. I'd ask what kind of gain it has but I'm sure it's enough since steel pickups are way hotter than guitar pickups.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Thanks. I'll have to try one out and see I guess. I'd ask what kind of gain it has but I'm sure it's enough since steel pickups are way hotter than guitar pickups.
I think you'll have to be quite lucky to find one in a store.

The biggest store near me is pretty decently sized and they stock Wampler, Strymon, MXR, Boss, Seymour Duncan, Mooer, a couple Lovepedal and Eventide pedals but no Way Huge.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You just ask the store to get one in stock.
theogonia777 That would require paying for the pedal.

At least according to all the stores near me.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well yeah. You pay for it, take it home, try it out, and return it if you don't like it. Do you expect me to bring out all my stuff to the store to try a pedal? Maybe if the case were 20 lbs lighter and the instrument 50 lbs lighter that would be practical.
^^ Yeah. Stores say they'll get it in if you agree to buy it... but that's sort of pointless since you have all of the drawbacks of buying in a store (you have to keep it whether you like it or not) with none of the benefits (getting to try it first before buying). In that case, at least here in the EU, it just makes more sense to order it online since that way you can send it back if you don't like it.

Occasionally I've had shops say they could get something in with no obligation to buy, but normally that was when it was something they were thinking of getting in anyway.

^ It doesn't work like that here, unfortunately. We actually have pretty generous laws protecting you if you buy online or mail order (in terms of returning stuff)... but far fewer laws protecting you if you buy in a bricks-and-mortar shop in person (basically unless the thing is faulty, legally you have to keep it, unless the store has its own return policy which goes above and beyond the law). Now, some stores will have their own return policies if you buy even in a "real" shop, but that tends to be clothes shops, supermarkets and the like. I know that some of the guitar shops in the USA have return policies even if you buy in the actual bricks-and-mortar store, but I can't recall ever having come across any guitar shops here in the UK which had a return policy if you bought in their "real" brick and mortar store.

And then they wonder why so many people buy online...

EDIT: I've genuinely come across signs in guitar shops (smaller, more provincial ones usually, but still) saying, "All in-store sales are final."
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 17, 2016,
theogonia777
In the UK, you have to keep the pedal if you're ordering it from a store unless the store actually has a return policy, which they are not obliged to have. Otherwise, no returns allowed.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Here they let you return almost anything at guitar stores free of charge. Some things like software and expendables like picks and strings obviously can't be return and they occasionally charge a restocking fee for some high tech stuff, but things like pedals and like everything else you usually get 60 days and get a full refund.
Yeah. As I said, we have that here in lots of other types of shops (for clothes it's handier to buy them and return them if they don't fit rather than faff about in changing rooms ), but not the musical instrument shops, usually.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
theogonia777 You're lucky then. In the UK, that's not really a thing.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It's actually kind of bad in a way. On the one hand it's good if you want to try things, but a lot of people abuse return policies with things like DJ speakers. They buy speakers, gig with them, and then return them. It's usually done at places where you can rent equipment especially. I don't know about other places, but in my area it's generally referred to as a Brazilian rental because I guess the stereotype is that Brazilians do that a lot (very large Brazilian population around here).
sweeeeeeet pedal! I've been yearning for a swollen pickle fuzz. Way Huge seem to be fairly good pedals, plus they look pretty damn good
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by theogonia777
It's actually kind of bad in a way. On the one hand it's good if you want to try things, but a lot of people abuse return policies with things like DJ speakers. They buy speakers, gig with them, and then return them. It's usually done at places where you can rent equipment especially. I don't know about other places, but in my area it's generally referred to as a Brazilian rental because I guess the stereotype is that Brazilians do that a lot (very large Brazilian population around here).

oh yeah people will always abuse stuff like that, but i don't think not having it is the answer either- you're penalising the good customers.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Very nice score. I considered looking into one, but found too good of a deal on my OD-9 to pass up. For what they go for secondhand though, I'll probably end up giving one a shot eventually!

HNPD!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
I liked to run a mild scoop in the FX loop of my 5150 around 500Hz. How does scooping a bit of the 500Hz control on this pedal affect things vs. scooping a bit in the loop? Do you have any way to test that out? My thought is to get that 500Hz scoop up front and maybe not use the EQ pedal or set the EQ pedal differently. Thanks!!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
I liked to run a mild scoop in the FX loop of my 5150 around 500Hz. How does scooping a bit of the 500Hz control on this pedal affect things vs. scooping a bit in the loop? Do you have any way to test that out? My thought is to get that 500Hz scoop up front and maybe not use the EQ pedal or set the EQ pedal differently. Thanks!!

Interesting question.

I find the EQ's to not be as powerful in front of the amp as it is in the effects loop. So the effects that occur with the GR up front at 500hz is going to be dependent on how you set the EQ in the effects loop. But an advantage is that the GR allows you to very finely tune how much mids you add/scoop, more so than if the pedal was just on its own.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
^^^

To add to that, I've got two MXR 10-band EQs, and did some experimentation with running one up front and the other in the loop. I agree with TOODEEPBLUE --- tweaking your mids up front of the amp doesn't have nearly the same amount of effect, but it does have an effect for sure. It's more akin to a pickup swap, and thus still a quite valuable parameter to be able to adjust. Having the ability to adjust the low end and high end is perhaps more noticeable when tuning your pre-amp signal. Ultimately, I quit using the EQ pedal in front of the amp because I was pretty happy with the control I had with just my MXR M77 OD.

My favorite technique is to run my OD pedal with a pretty healthy bass cut up front of my 6505, then turn up the 125hz slider on my loop EQ pedal, and also run a healthy amount of bass through the amp's EQ, which adjusts the tone after the preamp (already distorted signal). What this yields is a tight tracking response, yet palm mutes still sound massive and big chords left to ring out have this massive "bloom" to the tone. Feeding too much bass into the amp's input does not yield the same "massiveness" to the tone -- it just makes everything muddy. Sorry if I'm preaching to the choir here...I just like to talk about tone-tweaking.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Thanks for the responses guys! Sounds like that 100Hz knob would be the more useful one for what I was thinking then!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
yeah i think bass cut before distortion is a thing... that's why a tubescreamer is so useful, and a timmy works on a similar principle etc. That's how you keep things tight, as KailM said.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Congrats
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge