Just got a new set of D'addario EXL116 XL strings on a Squier Mustang, no modifications, anyone know any ways to break them in quickly? I'm going to play some guitar with some friends, and I need them to be broken in so they won't fly out of tune or have that metallic twangy sound.
really you just have t spend a little time tuning them play a little tune again and keep at it until the strings settle. when I first retring a guitar I tune the strings a little higher than tuning being used to stretch them and then after a few retunings drop them to the pitch I want. seems to work for me
Heres what i do: i put on new strings, tune the guitar, pull the strings in the middle quite hard, tune again, pull again, tune again, do the biggest bend i can on every string on the 12th fret, tune, bend, tune. After that, the strings are usually stable. It takes 5 minutes at most.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
^+1. Give them a stretch before you tighten them all the way, and another stretch after you get them in tune. And maybe another stretch too. As far as the metallic sound, you'll have to get used to it. Tune your settings to work with the strings fresh.
I tune up about 1.25 steps while stringing. I pull on each string around the 3rd, 12th, 22nd, and in between the pickups, straight off the board. Tune to about 1 step up and repeat. Tune to about 1/2 step up and repeat. Tune to pitch, repeat. Normally about good. Really pull on those wound strings.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Bending