I'm just a dabbler on electrics so I opted to get a Robert Cray Strat, one of Fender's very few hardtails (no tremolo). You're unlikely to see one of these hanging on the wall of a store, and whenever I suggest that Fender should produce more hardtails, I tend to get shouted down with choruses of "They don't sell" and "People prefer Strats with tremolo." But guitar trends change, and I have to wonder how many buyers would purchase a hardtail Strat if they had a viable choice. For that matter, how many Strat owners actually use the trem bar vs playing Eric Clapton style???
tbh the trem is very much part of what makes Strats appealing. And if you don't want to use it, blocking it is very easy.

That's why fixed bridge Strats aren't that popular. They seem to solve a problem that doesn't really exist.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Like TDB says, it is a non-issue. I have no use for a trem, but it wouldn't stop me buying a trem strat. - I've got two, one I converted to hardtail, the other I just blocked. I wouldn't bother with the hardtail conversion again, blocking is easy and effective..

You can also deck the trem rather than block it. Also, some strat aficionados insist that you should leave the trem springs in.
Last edited by Tony Done at Dec 16, 2016,
Yeah, strat trems can easily be adjusted to function as a hardtail by tightening the screws that hold the spring claw inside the tremolo cavity, or simply placing a solid block behind the tremolo block to wedge the bridge base against the body so it can't move under string tension, so there's no practical benefit to not having one.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
In an ideal scenario, I'd get a hardtail, since I'm not using the trem anyway. However, since it's so easy to block the trem, I wouldn't really care what bridge it had as long as it played well and sounded good. I'd put it this way: if I had a Strat built for me by a luthier, it would have a hardtail bridge. If I went into a store and found an amazing Strat with a trem, I'd get it and block it.
A Strat with a hardtail is like driving under the speed limit in a Camaro.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
tbh the trem is very much part of what makes Strats appealing. And if you don't want to use it, blocking it is very easy.

That's why fixed bridge Strats aren't that popular. They seem to solve a problem that doesn't really exist.

yeah. and arguably a trem affects the sound, to- even if you don't use the trem, you may well like the sound the trem gives the guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
had a couple of chances to buy 70s hardtails and passed. strats have trems and it's just not right without them. hell all you really have to do is unscrew the bar and not use it.
Quote by monwobobbo
had a couple of chances to buy 70s hardtails and passed. strats have trems and it's just not right without them. hell all you really have to do is unscrew the bar and not use it.

Well, not exactly. I use a lot of combination string bends in my playing and in order to do that effectively I need a fixed bridge, either blocked trem or hardtail. Otherwise things sound out of tune as the bends will alter pitch of the other strings. I got a sweet used USA Strat and blocked the trem but would not hesitate to own a fixed bridge Strat. I also put a fixed bridge on my 67 SG for the same reason. The right tool for the job at hand. If I wanted to cover Jeff Beck I would need to unblock the bridge... but then I would need to buy some more talent.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Dec 16, 2016,
Quote by Tony Done
Cajundaddy

A little gadget in the trem cavity that allowed you to instantly block or unblock the trem would be handy.

That would be pretty slick. You would still probably need to re-tune after changing your bridge setting but you could then use the guitar both ways in the same night.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Quote by Cajundaddy
That would be pretty slick. You would still probably need to re-tune after changing your bridge setting but you could then use the guitar both ways in the same night.
What am I missing that makes the Tremol-No not the exact thing you're describing?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by K33nbl4d3
What am I missing that makes the Tremol-No not the exact thing you're describing?

Never heard of it. My trem has been blocked for 10 years so maybe I am just out of the loop. And I don't ever really need a trem.

Quote by Cajundaddy
Never heard of it. My trem has been blocked for 10 years so maybe I am just out of the loop. And I don't ever really need a trem.
Fair enough, I kind of assumed you would have done. Basically it's a gadget that you stick in your trem cavity that can be easily set to prevent all trem movement, prevent upward movement but allow downward, or allow movement in either direction just by turning a couple of thumbscrews.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by Cajundaddy
Well, not exactly. I use a lot of combination string bends in my playing and in order to do that effectively I need a fixed bridge, either blocked trem or hardtail. Otherwise things sound out of tune as the bends will alter pitch of the other strings. I got a sweet used USA Strat and blocked the trem but would not hesitate to own a fixed bridge Strat. I also put a fixed bridge on my 67 SG for the same reason. The right tool for the job at hand. If I wanted to cover Jeff Beck I would need to unblock the bridge... but then I would need to buy some more talent.

yeah I'm aware of that but ya know didn't think about that angle. obviously there are reasons to block the trem but for a lot of players taking the trem bar off works fine. I use mine all the time so I guess I don't think about double bends all that much as in the back of my head I know they go a bit out of tune. I also kind of have figured out at east on some of those bends I do where to stop so it sounds more or less in tune.

not sure you can buy Jeff beck talent cuz if you could I'd be the first in line
I deck mine.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I can't say I wouldn't buy one... being that I never use the trem on mine. Mine is locked down via various methods to accomplish that purpose. I haven't played a true hard-tail before to know if there is any kind of significant difference in play, tone, etc. There is a bit of a 'verby' thing you get from the springs in a Strat, but, I don't know if that translates to anything coming out of the amp. I just don't know, I guess.

I suppose if anything, it's better to have it and not use it than to not have it at all. In the event I'd like to unblock mine, it's there.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Last edited by ThunderPunk at Dec 17, 2016,
Quote by Cajundaddy

"I don't ever NEED to drift my Camaro"

-The Elderly, 2011.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I have both.I have a '77 hardtail and an MIM which i just undecked last night.I find a hardtail or a decked/blocked trem seems to kind of make everything feel abit tighter.Makes bends slightly harder to execute.I've decided that i like a little play in the trem even if I don't use it.
Quote by JustRooster
A Strat with a hardtail is like driving under the speed limit in a Camaro.

Nile Rodgers & Hitmaker would like to have a word with you. Right over here, in this dark alley...

http://www.nilerodgers.com/about/press/2767-worlds-most-successful-guitar
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

it's a bit fiddly
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I, for one, would love for Fender to sell hardtail Strats. I don't like having a bar hanging around and I don't like the loss of tuning stability. It seems to me enough people play Strats with the vibrato bridge blocked off or otherwise stabilized that there'd be a market for them.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by PatchworkMan
It seems to me enough people play Strats with the vibrato bridge blocked off or otherwise stabilized that there'd be a market for them.

I think the point here is: It's so easy to block or stabilize the trem and have it function exactly the same as a hardtail bridge, and also pretty easy to re-adjust it for tremolo use. There's no practical advantage to owning a hardtail, you just lose some functionality permanently.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I swear that the springs do add something. I like it.

maybe it is voodoo magic though but it's real to me.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/