Hey everyone,

sorry if this if a noob question but it's the first time I'm dealing with fret problems, so yesterday as I was changing strings I realized both my frets and fretboard have string markings on them, especially from the g string and general scratching on both the frets and the fretboard from the 3 bottom strings.

This guitar is barely 2 years old, and for a bit more than 1 year I've been practicing every day, recording, etc.

I won't be able to change frets now because I have no money but should I start saving up?

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Replaced, no. Leveled, yes.

I agree.
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
Nah -- there's a bit of fretwear, but nothing even remotely bad enough to require a refret. You can have the frets dressed, but that shouldn't be overly expensive.

You might want to check your technique if you're finding your fretboard developing divots, however -- you really don't need to press the string all the way to the fretboard to fret it, and if you're doing that, you may be sending your strings sharp in the process.
Okay, I will look up some place where I can get my frets leveled when I get some money.

Quote by dspellman

You might want to check your technique if you're finding your fretboard developing divots, however -- you really don't need to press the string all the way to the fretboard to fret it, and if you're doing that, you may be sending your strings sharp in the process.

I don't use much strenght for my left hand when playing anymore, it's just probably that this is the guitar that I've learned to play properly with, also I've done and still do lots of physical type of exercises along the normal stuff, specially for my left hand. I have been told that I beat the shit out of the strings but as long as it doesn't slow me down I don't see a problem with it. Power chords sound better like that!
Quote by VStratto Music

I don't use much strenght for my left hand when playing anymore, it's just probably that this is the guitar that I've learned to play properly with, also I've done and still do lots of physical type of exercises along the normal stuff, specially for my left hand. I have been told that I beat the shit out of the strings but as long as it doesn't slow me down I don't see a problem with it. Power chords sound better like that!

It's likely that if you beat the shit out of the strings, you're yanking down on them to keep them in tune. You CAN get power chords to *sound* like you're beating the shit out of them without actually doing that. One thing you might try is a pick change, particularly if you're using a pick with flex in it. I switched to 2mm and 3mm plastic picks that don't move an inch (my particular favorite is a Gravity Picks 2mm Razer Standard). You get the same effect without moving your picking hand as much.
Quote by dspellman
It's likely that if you beat the shit out of the strings, you're yanking down on them to keep them in tune. You CAN get power chords to *sound* like you're beating the shit out of them without actually doing that. One thing you might try is a pick change, particularly if you're using a pick with flex in it. I switched to 2mm and 3mm plastic picks that don't move an inch (my particular favorite is a Gravity Picks 2mm Razer Standard). You get the same effect without moving your picking hand as much.

Well, it has been a while since I've been told that and it might have improved a lot since for the last 6 months I've been focusing a lot more on picking and rythm, it has been a long time since anyone has seen me play in person. I use Jazz III, the normal ones, I want to order me some Ultex Jazz III as they seem sharper, I have the regular sized Ultex and they are better for picking but I still want the Jazz III size for comfort.

Some time ago I did mess with left and right hand playing strenght for some nights, for leads I go as soft as I can while getting the notes to sound defined and clear, for chords and rythm I just go for what feels natural as that's what brings me the best result when recording.