Hey all,

I'm looking into buying a 15 inch MacBook Pro for recording purposes. Its' specs are as follows:

2,2-GHz quadcore i7 processor, with Turbo Boost up to 3,4Ghz.
16GB 1600-MHz memory
256GB SSD

I'm faced with the option to upgrade the processor. I was wondering if you guys think it's worth it to upgrade the processor to a 2,8Ghz quadcore, with Turbo Boost up to 4,0 Ghz. Would you recommend it, or would it be overkill? The €300 extra could just as well go to a nice audio interface, because that's going to set me back quite a bit as well. Should I invest in that extra processor power? I'm pretty sure I'm going to double up the storage capacity, because 256GB seems a bit low. I'm doubting about the processor though. This is also based on the previous model, not the new models with the Touch Bar. If anyone has any recommendations about that, I'm eager to listen to them.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
How much realtime processing do you plan to do? If you're thinking of loading a lot of tracks of vsti's you'd probably need all the speed you can get.

The 256gig will also fill up rather quick. Maybe opt for external drive for extre speed and to have your OS and DAW run on one drive and write to another which will be a speed bump, especially if say the interface will be Lighting and the drive USB.
I have an older Macbook Pro (2012 15") with an i7 at 2.3GHz. Of course it's 4 year old tech (Ivy Bridge vs Skylake), but I run out of power a LOT.

I'm building a desktop with an i7-6700K (4.0GHz stock speed, boosts to 4.2GHz) to get some more processing horsepower.

Of course, I'm working on big-ass sessions.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.