First of all, I'm not sure I'm putting this in the right place, so I'm sorry if it has to be moved.

Second, I'm not a very good story teller, so, sorry for that.

Third, I swear to God I'm not making this up, and I really don't expect anybody to believe it.

So here goes...

Back in early ’98 (I was 24 at the time) I was resident at the Michigan Commission for the Blind training center in Kalamazoo, Michigan (it is the Michigan Bureau of Services for Blind Persons now [wtf?]) and one weekend about five or six of us went downtown to check out the Greek festival that was going on.

It was really early when we arrived and nothing much was going on yet. A band was on stage doing whatever they were doing (sound check, warming up, what have you) and there was a person standing up in front of the stage. I made an off-hand comment like, “Looks like they have a groupie, ha ha” (which would later cause me some embarrassment).

I couldn’t see the person from where I was sitting (being legally blind myself), but as this person walked back to the seats, I saw it was an old man with a walking cane, which was also a white cane. It turned out he was standing up at the stage to see the band because he, too, was legally blind.
Naturally, this started some conversation as some of the people I was with also had white canes (I don’t use one myself).

Well, as the conversation progressed, this man mentions that he was once the president of Gibson guitars. He started going on about how the Flying V was his idea, and that he had invented the semi-hollowbody guitar. He went on to say that he had started another company and had invented the flexlight. I’m not sure if that was the name he used at the time, but it was a light and camera on a gooseneck to stick through spark plug sockets to look inside engine cylinders. He then said he was on vacation and that he lived in Hawaii. He didn’t sound like he was bragging—there was nothing conceited about his demeanor at all—he just seemed like a nice, old man telling a bit of his story (but at the same time he exuded a kind of confidence I personally don’t run into very often - he wasn't intimidating, but I had a sense that I probably should be).

He also talked about how guitars sound better with age, but only if they are played by a good guitar player, because the wood acclimates to their playing and the molecules and whatnot align in a certain way because of the vibration. That sounded like complete bull dookey to me at the time.

At this point, I’m thinking to myself, ‘this is just some half-senile eccentric old man that goes around telling tall tales just to get people to talk to him.’ But, It turned out that this lady that was sitting next to us the whole time (when I made that comment about being a groupie [thus the embarrassment]) was his assistant, so, I figured since he had this woman with him, he couldn't be all that lonely.

He also mentioned that he, too, had been at the training center, and he mentioned the guy’s name that was running the place at the time (I can’t remember his name). So naturally I had to inquire about this when we returned to the training center. I asked, “Do you know Ted McCarty?” he said yes, so I asked, “He was the president of Gibson guitars?” to which he also answered yes.

I had recently taken an interest in lutherie and had just gone on a tour of Heritage Guitars (which is in the old Gibson factory), so I thought it was really cool to meet him, but I didn’t know anything at the time. I wish I could go back and meet him knowing what I know now so I would have been able to ask him a million questions that I didn’t have back then.

Years later (about a year and a half ago actually), after never having taken any interest in PRS guitars, I happened across a McCarty model guitar online. “McCarty? Not Ted McCarty...” I said to myself, and sure enough, they were one in the same.

After that I watched the videos on YouTube of Paul Reed Smith talking about his relationship with him, and that’s when my semi-regret kicked in. All those “secrets” about making guitars that McCarty passed to him…

Even though I didn’t know much about guitars at the time, or the history of Gibson, meeting him was definitely one of the brightest highlights of my life. My interest in lutherie had returned with a vengeance shortly before discovering the McCarty model PRS, and in my quest for lutherie knowledge I learned a lot more about Gibson’s “golden era” which really intensified my gratitude for having met him.

As far as I’m concerned, Ted McCarty is a legend of the guitar world. He wasn’t just running a business like the CEO’s of the massive corporations of today, he was in the thick of it, hands-on.

Everybody knows the name Les Paul, and most guitar players that are into their gear know the name Seth Lover, but barely anybody knows the name Ted McCarty (aside from PRS players), who worked closely with both of them, and that’s a shame.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

If anyone is interested in learning about him, there is a Widipedia page here, and there are plenty of YouTube vidoes of of Paul Reed Smith talking about him.
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
who?

Quote by MinterMan22
who?

I think they are in the Beatles famboy
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
oops
Last edited by Prime2515102 at Dec 16, 2016,
tl;dr

Cliffs?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by soundgarden1986
i wonder if u can make an entirely new story out of all the nonsense shoved in parenthesis

Geez! It's about time! I was beginning to lose faith in this particular pit.
Quote by k.lainad
tl;dr

Cliffs?

I don't go around carrying sandwiches in my pocket.
Boy, that's a long way to say "I met Joshua Garcia."
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
I once had a conversation with Les Claypool about sharks. Beats the hell out of your lame story.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by ehbacon
Who? I didn't even make that long of a post when I met Eddie Vedder.

I could make a shorter one about when I met Pamela Anderson and what's his name from that one show if you want. It would be kind of pointless though because I was too busy staring at her tits to have an actual conversation.
I wish you guys would stop hurting my feelings. I'm very sensitive ya know...

I thought in a guitar forum people would appreciate the story considering how much he contributed to the instrument we all play and love.

You're all so mean.
Well for one, you need a backbone if you're going to get on the internet. Applies to any site.

Two, most people keep it simple or add a "tl;dr" to sum it up. No reason to take it personally.

Three, yeah, no one in The Pit plays diddley squat anymore lmao. It's mostly a place to dick around and troll people every now and then.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Dec 16, 2016,
Quote by Prime2515102
I don't go around carrying sandwiches in my pocket.

Wut?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by UltimateGuizar

TLDR: met sum peeps

?

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
I liked this story, ignore the cliquey fucking pit regs who have no joy aside shite sarcasm.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
I have a story about meeting Peter Gabriel, but its an awful lot more interesting than this story.

And nor would I waste so many people's time with such an unnecessarily long post.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I have a story about meeting Peter Gabriel, but its an awful lot more interesting than this story.

And nor would I waste so many people's time with such an unnecessarily long post.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
thisbone time i was in a band and we'd hang out and practice at our drummer's house.

there was this neighborhood yard sale thing that went on every summer and our guitarist ran into Steven Van Zandt at the house across the street.

how's that for a story? i bet someone will find that mildly interesting.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Nice story, I liked it.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

but you did waste our time with a double post
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

but you did waste our time with a double post

wtf that wasn't there before.

I posted once in this thread, left, came back and boom 2 posts.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
hahahahaha
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?