So basically i got myself a cheap telecaster for about 130usd. Its a craftsman tl30, but not like anyone knows what that brand is anyway lol

i realised that the neck pickup is too bassy, and ive tried everything to reduce the bass, but nothing really helps too much anyway.

Does anyone have a clue? Ive tried lowering the pup, changing my eq on the amp, changing the tone knob on the guitar, the volume knob on the guitar, the volume on my amp (my amp doesnt have a master volume btw).
that can be a problem with tele neck pickups (which isn't to say that your specific neck pickup isn't a particularly bad example, of course)

tone knob on the guitar likely won't help unless you're turning it up

do you have an eq pedal?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
that's a decent idea actually

could you do it on a dual-concentric pot? if so that might be a way to avoid cutting up the guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Is this the signature Tele style pickup at the neck or the kind with the humbucker? Either way, cheap pickups can't really be compensated for anywhere down the line. The best you can do is pull something -out- of the signal. If a pickup is muddy, nothing can give it more clarity.

Adding controls is fine technically, but at that point you'd be spending as much on a tone control as you spent on the guitar already, and the cheap pickup will still limit your tone.

I'd say address the issue at the source and look at replacement pickups. Then if you decide to get other modifications you're starting with something that sounds great at every setting, rather than getting knew knobs specifically to avoid certain settings.
Last edited by cdgraves at Dec 17, 2016,
maybe the fender TBX thingy? I have one but have not installed it $12ish IIRC.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Tony Done
Dave_Mc

I'm sure you could, I didn't think of that.

haha i didn't think of the bass cut control
Quote by cdgraves
Is this the signature Tele style pickup at the neck or the kind with the humbucker? Either way, cheap pickups can't really be compensated for anywhere down the line. The best you can do is pull something -out- of the signal. If a pickup is muddy, nothing can give it more clarity.

Adding controls is fine technically, but at that point you'd be spending as much on a tone control as you spent on the guitar already, and the cheap pickup will still limit your tone.

I'd say address the issue at the source and look at replacement pickups. Then if you decide to get other modifications you're starting with something that sounds great at every setting, rather than getting knew knobs specifically to avoid certain settings.

agreed to a certain extent, but i'd have thought adding a bass cut would cost a fair bit less than new pickups.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?