So I have wired everything the way the instructions want, volume works, but both pickups are active all the time. I cannot switch between pickups they both stay active. Also the tone control does not work. I am sick and tired of rewiring this thing trying different stuff. I took a multimeter and held the output and one of the wires that run into the bus for PUPS and it is showing the 3 way toggle closed all the time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r9g079xx7ufh73x/%5ED6FB70525B323FEF8F00B8827C830397F5D1D5ABAA2771C358%5Epimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eyc1ma0tuv3o6eq/%5E26D1BD1DFCF16244A79259A618EA8A5BE781A82D6136DBED47%5Epimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg?dl=0
Last edited by jddichello at Dec 17, 2016,
Just as a side note, be sure to disconnect the black ground wire from your bridge and then ground the switch to that position. Active EMGs don't use the bridge ground, but the switch DOES need to be grounded.

Also, make sure the braiding of those switch wires isn't touching at any of the contacts on the wiring buss; strip it all back and use single core if you want to be sure nothing is going to cross over.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Dec 18, 2016,
The only real way to resolve this is disconnect each item and check it individually with your multimeter - I thought. But, having looked at you pictures I think the red connector to the bus is where the black one should be. https://www.emgpickups.com/skin/frontend/emg-interface/emg/pdfs/zw-set.pdf
Last edited by PSimonR at Dec 18, 2016,
The bridge doesn't have a ground wire from the factory just solid black wire, also the 3-way toggle switch has no ground at all, but it had an insulated wire running through the center with stripped wire coming out over top of the center. I stripped the center wire and braided them together and put them into the bus.
That solid black wire is the bridge ground wire. Disconnect it.

The three-way does have a ground; it's the three sections of braid that are wound together and soldered into the middle section. The braid and the inner core should NOT touch. That's where your crossover is coming from.

Clarification: By stripping the inner core and twisting it with the outer braid, you've essentially connected both pickups and the switch output together.

Do this:
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Dec 18, 2016,
Quote by -MintSauce-
That solid black wire is the bridge ground wire. Disconnect it.

The three-way does have a ground; it's the three sections of braid that are wound together and soldered into the middle section. The braid and the inner core should NOT touch. That's where your crossover is coming from.

Clarification: By stripping the inner core and twisting it with the outer braid, you've essentially connected both pickups and the switch output together.

Do this:

Makes perfect sense I am going to just do as you said before strip it back and replace with a wire that isnt inner core so there is no chance.
Quote by jddichello
Makes perfect sense I am going to just do as you said before strip it back and replace with a wire that isnt inner core so there is no chance.

Yeah, that's the easiest option. Be sure to disconnect that black bridge ground wire though, and add a new one from the switch grounding lug to the wiring buss.
Same problem, did exactly what you said, no matter what position the selector is in both pickups make make noise.
Quote by jddichello
Same problem, did exactly what you said, no matter what position the selector is in both pickups make make noise.

Do you have a picture of the new wiring?

Did you take all of the wires off the selector and wire it all up again with single core?
No I don't have pictures I dropped it off at guitar center because i wanna be able to play again and its been 3 days since I have been able to because work and this wiring issue. I did it exactly like the way it was before, I unsoldered everything and resoldered everything but added a ground. All single core, same color coordination with the instructions still the same crap, I ordered a new toggle switch yesterday think that was the issue.
Sorry for the late post and off subject interjection...hope you have gotten this worked out! Just want to suggest that , some time when you are changing strings, remove the pickups and reverse them, 85/bridge 81/neck. Very easy, as emgs just pop in and out. I found the 81 too thin and shrill in the bridge, and the output was always lower than the super fat 85 in the neck ( FAT!), reversing them balanced my tone a bit, made my riffs chunkier. You'll notice the 81 bridge guys have to use a wah or treble boost to add the frequencies that let it cut through a mix: zakk wylde, kirk hammett, etc. Im much happier with the new configuration.