Poll: What shall we call our band.
Poll Options
View poll results: What shall we call our band.
The die cast cars
2 100%
mindfulness on a tuesday
0 0%
Voters: 2.
Hi all, me and my buddy Harry (seen in sunnies on my profile picture) are setting out to start a two man band type deal so we can get some performing experience. He is a very capable guitarist with some technical knowledge, and I can play bass and sing. The plan is to have harry on acoustic geetar and me on acoustic bass and singing, whilst both of us operating some foot drums. We were planning on playing acoustic covers of a range of hit songs from mainstream indie to rock and pop etc. We are torn between the names 'Mindfulness on a Tuesday' and 'The Die-Cast Cars'. I've come here to seek any opinion and advice anyone may have (with regard to anything, set up, gigs, songs, anything we may not have considered!) to us before we brave it ourselves, after all you are the experts and I am a beginner! :-) many thanks
I think both are a bit too long to be catchy. Try to aim for a band name with two words.

I think you should call your band "Garry".

George and Harry = Garry
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Sure.

1. If you're going to do covers, you'll generally be playing 3-4 hours sets. So make sure you know enough songs to fill up that timeframe before looking for gigs.

Generally speaking 16 songs = 1 hour, 12 songs = 45 mins

2. Cover bands generally supply their own PA, so make sure you own one (or are prepared to rent one) for your gigs.

3. When you're ready for gigs, make some demos of you guys playing your best songs. Email the links to the venue's when you approach them.
Soundcloud
AlanHB thanks this is splendid advice. Do you have any ideas as to how we could vary up our covers? As we are planning on only using two instruments and foot bass and maybe hihat
Die Cast Cars sort of recalls The Cars. I do think that's a better name then Mindfulness on a Tuesday though. Though I'm personally not to fond of long names like that either, or those sentence type ones. Something good is as AlanHB said, short and catchy. But out of your options, Die Cast Cars is better. Good luck with things!
george.clark5356 If you'd like to make your songs distinct from eachother, smart arrangement of instruments is the best way to do it.

As you have guitar, bass and drums some ideas could be:

- Drums only intro
- Bass and vocals only for a verse
- Stacatto hits on the certain beats

Etc. Use the instruments available to you and the dynamic range that is available between everyone playing and nobody playing.
Soundcloud
Your name does two things; it is how people remember you and it tells bookers who you are. So it needs to be memorable and to say something about what you are selling. Call yourself Spider Venom and you are going to attract different people to a band called Yellow Ribbon! It's also worth remembering you will probably need some posters at some stage and a visual image/logo for the band so some thought about a name that can be matched to an image is good.

Alan offers good advice but certainly in the UK most covers bands will only run a 2 hour set with a 15 min break. That equates to a minimum of 30 songs before you start. Australia and the States may well have different expectations.

Repertoire is worth planning, what age group will you be performing to?

As a duo monotony is a problem as you've realised. Plan your set so that there are mixtures of rhythms and tempos. Change guitars if you can, my duo mixes between electric and acoustic guitar. In addition my guitaris picks some songs and strums others for added variation in texture. The best form of variation is to add in a second voice. I really can't sing at all well but still offer backing vocals in about half our songs, keeping it very simple. I can't believe my dreadful singing adds anything but it does and audiences always react better to the songs where I sing. Don't use a kick drum sound for every song, it adds drive but also makes them sound very samey over a whole evening, just use it on a few songs to add drama.
Quote by Phil Starr
Alan offers good advice but certainly in the UK most covers bands will only run a 2 hour set with a 15 min break. That equates to a minimum of 30 songs before you start. Australia and the States may well have different expectations.

Yeah here it depends if your cover set is a laid back dinnertime/background music thing or a dancefloor/focus of attention thing.

If background music, 2 hours would be pretty normal. Usually earlier too like a midday slot 12-2pm or afternoon 5pm-7pm.

If dancefloor, 3-4 hours, earliest being 9pm-12 midnight, latest 10pm-2am.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah here it depends if your cover set is a laid back dinnertime/background music thing or a dancefloor/focus of attention thing.

If background music, 2 hours would be pretty normal. Usually earlier too like a midday slot 12-2pm or afternoon 5pm-7pm.

If dancefloor, 3-4 hours, earliest being 9pm-12 midnight, latest 10pm-2am.

Ha ha you Aussies obviously have more staying power, Brits sit down after 5 songs! The OP needs to do some research though to gauge when he has enough songs.
Phil Starr Yeah unlike the Brits, us Aussies don't have to factor audience naptime into their sets. Good point Phil
Soundcloud