I've watched video on both and really love them both but I'm not very sure what to get. This'll be my first valve amp head so I don't have much experience in it. I play in a metal band and looking for a high gain amp. I usually playing metalcore, death metal, thrash metal, heavy metal, deathcore, and punk rock. Which one of these do you all think I should get for the style I like? In case this helps, I have a guitar that has Seymour Duncan Blackouts, a guitar with EMGs, and a guitar with the Duncan Solar pups. Thanks for the feedback and let me know anything other amps that may suit my style more for the price range of these amps.
Peavey all day
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
Peavey all day

+3.1415
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Peavey.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I had a HT Metal 5 combo that I really liked but only kept it for about 6 months. It was great for metal but next tube amp I'm getting is definitely the 6505MH. I say peavey also
I had the one watt combo, it was okay. Nothing special. No chance I'd choose it over the 20 watt MH 6505.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Do your mic your amp? If not the bottom end will probably fall off as you turn it up to metal gig volume.

Do you have a cabinet? If not you may be better off going for a 60W 6505+ 112 combo.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by maddnessgame
guitarkid8Yes I've head it has plenty. Pretty sure it's like a 50 watt head

20 watts with el84s...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
6505mh is capable of smaller gigs if you use 2x12 or 4x12 I own one and it keeps up.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
metalmingee yes I have a crate 4x12 that I will use. Also if there's any confusion I'm not looking at the black star combo amp, it's the head amp
maddnessgame
What speakers are in the Crate 4x12? More doesn't mean better.

Here are my thoughts on all of this:

1. The 6505 Family is the go to for this type of metal at this budget.
2. The question is really about low end and head room not about volume. If you are micing the amp then you should be fine regardless I suppose but I'm going on hearsay.
3. The 6505 family depends on the preamp to create the metal tones we know and love. The power section is supposed to stay clean and TIGHT. That's accomplished by headroom - WATTS.
4. The 6505MH is 20W.
5. The 6505+ 112 is 60W.
6. The 5150/6505 and 5150 II/6505+ heads are 120W.
7. The master volume knob is glorious on these amps - use it.

You want clean headroom so you can reproduce the lows at volume. What wattage will work for you? BTW, I had a 5150 60W 212 combo and that bastard was LOUD AS SHIT.

What's your budget?

The 6505MH is $500 new. I've seen 6505+ 112 combos for $300-$400 all the time and sometimes you can see a 6505 or 6505+ head for $500. I sold my 5150 212 combo for $450.

I just think for metal gigging I'd want at least the 60W to keep it tight.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
PEAVEY
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

+1 to everything metalmingee said. And also, scratch that Blackstar off the list. It will not cut it in a band situation, and also the 6505 series will eat it for lunch, tonewise.

Since you're in a metal band, I would also not consider the 6505 MH. Not that it couldn't work -- I just think you'd get tired of trying to make it work. Like metalmingee said, metal music requires an ample amount of low-end in your guitar tone, and these lower-wattage amps can't produce the low-end cleanly at high volumes. Once you push them to gig volumes, either the bass/low mids no longer increase in volume, or they start to sound muddy and loose. Higher wattage can push that low end and maintain tightness -- also important. EL 84s just aren't that great at producing that low-end "thump" us metalheads like anyway. An amp with 6L6s is much more suitable.

I've been running a 6505+ 112 (60 watts with two 6L6 power tubes) as a head powering a 4 X 12 cab loaded with Eminence Governors and Swamp Thangs (i.e. -- LOUD speakers). I also run a Peavey Classic 30 head which runs on 4 EL84s through the same cab. Definitely the Classic 30 can get quite loud, no problem. But the low-end only increases so much before that amp just doesn't have the power to push it. The 6505+, on the other hand, can get loud as F--- and can practically push you out of the way like you're getting hit by a truck. I would say there's a huge difference between 30 watts and 60 watts in that regard.

Incidentally, my 6505+ 112 is broken down right now. Rather than pay to get it fixed, I just ordered a 120 watt 6505 head. I have no worries about it sounding good at low volumes. And I definitely have no worries about it sounding brutal at high volumes.

Anyhow, I'd recommend either a 6505+ 112 combo (run it as a head), a 6505/5150 212 combo, or a full-on 6505+/6505/5150/5150 120 watt head over the MH. You can always turn the bigger amps down. But you can't turn a low wattage amp UP and pretend it has the same amount of low-end.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
metalmingee thank you very much for those suggestions. I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to amps so thanks. Not too sure about what speakers are in the crate cab. I got it for Christmas a couple years ago and was never given a thing that would tell me what's in them. But I probably will need to change the speakers. Any good speakers that are affordable that you would recommend?
KailM thank you for all that knowledge. I appreciate the reply. I will be on the lookout for a 6505 head. Is there any other amps you would recommend as well that are around the $500 price range? Or do you think that's the best bang for the buck I'll get?
Quote by maddnessgame
KailM thank you for all that knowledge. I appreciate the reply. I will be on the lookout for a 6505 head. Is there any other amps you would recommend as well that are around the $500 price range? Or do you think that's the best bang for the buck I'll get?

I wouldn't overlook a Peavey JSX head either. They are easy to find in the $500 range these days (used). Peavey in general really provides the best bang for the buck in most countries, especially the U.S. Since you play a wide variety of genres within metal, a JSX might prove to be more versatile for you. I almost bought one this week rather than a 6505, but in the end, I play mostly black metal and death metal and the 5150/6505 just has this savagery to the tone that gives it an edge over the JSX for my purposes. Plus I have another great amp for cleans and lighter gain applications. The JSX, however, has an amazing clean channel, a great Marshally crunch channel, and I found the Ultra channel to still have enough "oomph" for death metal -- it's just a little more refined and well-mannered than the "untamed beast" quality of a 5150/6505.

As for speakers -- just take the back plate off your cab to see what's inside. I actually have a Crate cab too, they are pretty well-made. Mine came with middle of the road Celestions, which I replaced with Eminence Governors and Swamp Thangs in an x-pattern. Since I only paid $50 for the cab (and sold the celestions out of it for $100 , I didn't mind shelling out the money to replace all the speakers. However, if you like the sound of your cab, there's no need to bother changing speakers.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Dec 22, 2016,
maddnessgame
The best way is to pull the back off of the cabinet and check. Sometimes you can get away with pulling a side a handle off and using a flashlight.

I'd worry about the amp/head first. Celestion Vintage30 speakers are a staple but look into the G12K-100 as well for the really low end. Or a mix of the two.

Celestions can get expensive though and used cabinets/speakers are great.

If you want to buy new speakers for the Crate cab look into WGS and Eminence.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
KailM alright well thank you! I'll definitely check out the speakers and I'll checkout that amp. Thanks a whole lot you definitely helped me out with this!