I've been playing guitar for a year now and my dream is to start a serious band where we're composing and recording our own songs, gigging around town and then hopefully play bigger shows like my favorite bands do. I have high hopes for my "band" that hasn't formed yet haha. Now to continue with my question, I have never played with anyone before so before trying to put together a "real" band should I jam with different people for fun first?
Even if you start a "real" band, it will probably fail and break up after a while. I've never heard of anyone who launches into huge success from their first band that they started after a year of playing. So I think you should just chill and play with other people any way you can to get some experience. You might need an another couple of years of experience before you should start worrying about success.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
yeah go for it find some guys who are kind of on your level and play. you shouldn't worry about getting all serious about it just yet, you've just been playing for 1 year, but get a band because that's a great way to get some experience.
I've been playing for 11 years and when I got my first band a month ago I left after the 1st jam, so kind of feel like I missed something, should have been in a band already serious or not.
thanks for the tip! I agree I should have some more years under my belt before starting a serious band and get more experience, just too excited to wait haha thanks again
thanks! I should just focus playing with other people for experience and develop
My guitar playing (because bedroom playing is different from playing with other people) before trying to rush and create a "successful" dream band just yet. Thanks again!
I have to disagree with the above posts.

If you want to join or make a band, do it. Playing music in a band is a skill in itself, and the only way to get better is through making music in bands. Bedroom guitarists can be great on a technical level, but they only become good in bands after they have gained experience doing so.

I joined my first band after a year. It's no longer together, but that's cool. It made me a better musician, as did my second band, third, fourth etc.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Last edited by AlanHB at Dec 19, 2016,
AlanHB

How is that disagreeing with me? I think I said that "you should play with other people any way you can". I only said that he shouldn't expect that his band starts selling out arenas just yet. I mean, our posts had technically the same advice, "play with other people to get experience". But idk, maybe my post came out wrong
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Its a bit like saying "should I get married to the first girl I meet, or should I have a few relationships first?"
Quote by Kevätuhri
AlanHB

How is that disagreeing with me? I think I said that "you should play with other people any way you can". I only said that he shouldn't expect that his band starts selling out arenas just yet. I mean, our posts had technically the same advice, "play with other people to get experience". But idk, maybe my post came out wrong

same here
another view...putting together a band..usually means all the musicians are compatible..their skill levels are similar..so if you put a band together with all members have only one year experience..you wont be together long..on the other side..musicians with years of experience and high skill levels are going to want monetary concerns met in some way..to get a band really tight requires rehearsals and the space to do so..it its "your" band .. you should pay for the expense..there is music..and then the music "business"..if someone wants me to play on a recording or be in a band..they have to pay me..no skilled craftsperson works for free..even among friends ...
play well

wolf
You both basically said "don't make a band, have casual jams instead". To which the TS goes

Quote by alternativepunk99
thanks for the tip! I agree I should have some more years under my belt before starting a serious band and get more experience, just too excited to wait haha thanks again

Quote by alternativepunk99
thanks! I should just focus playing with other people for experience and develop
My guitar playing (because bedroom playing is different from playing with other people) before trying to rush and create a "successful" dream band just yet. Thanks again!

As what you were posting was taken by TS to be discouraging him from making a band, I disagreed with you.
Soundcloud
Start playing with other musicians early and often. Like anything, the more you do it, the better you will get at the game. There is a lot of social dynamic that comes with being in a band including similar basic skills, work ethic, patience, communication, cooperation, common goals, and these all need to be worked out over time. Find some players at a similar skill level, and work towards playing local gigs and backyard parties. Allow the band to grow and develop over time. You will surely suck at first... we all did. With practice and persistence you will get better.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
AlanHB They didn't discourage me at all. They just gave me their opinions that I asked for to which I agree with. I'm constantly in a rush to do things right now as if I'll never do them so that's why I asked kind of to be reminded to slow down and get the views from other people who are more experienced than me. I'm still going to pursue creating/joining a band, but now I won't feel disappointed if the first band I join/make isn't a "successful" one. I appreciate everyone's input but I'm not easily swayed so I'm not at all discouraged by them or anyone, but I thank you for caring dude!
^^^ No worries, looks like I misunderstood the conversation above.

If the question is "when can I make a successful band", if you know the answer, please tell me. I can whip together some of the best musos I know to make a great band, but it won't necessarily be successful in terms of drawing large crowds and giving me enough money to quit my day job.

Luckily I do have a day job, so I don't really need my bands to be successful. All that matters is that you enjoy doing it, and either way bands will make you a better musician.
Soundcloud