I'm curious if anyone else has ever thought of this: why in the hell do they use an 11 instead of a 12 in most light gauge electric string sets? Take the Ernie Ball Super Slinky for example: they have a 9, which is one less than the standard 10. They have a 16, which is one less than the standard 17. But then they have an 11, TWO less than the standard 13. So the question is: why in the **** do they not include a 12?!

I use the following gauges for standard and E-flat tuning: 48, 38, 26, 17, 12, 9

If you've never tried this combination for standard tuning, do yourself a favor and try it. And the 12 is seriously PERFECT for this tuning. The 11 is just too thin. Why would they go down one number for the high E and G strings, but go down two for the B string? It just doesn't make sense to me.

So what I do is buy packs of single 9's, single 12's (it's a six-pack of singles), then I need to buy both the Standard and Power slinky pack. But I've recently realized that I love Dunlop electric strings, but this would require even more mix-and-matching (more wasted strings and money). And guess what they do in their "light" packs? THEY COPIED ERNIE BALL'S STUPID MISTAKE OF INCLUDING AN 11 INSTEAD OF A 12. So frustrating. If anyone knows of any set that would get me closer to the gauges I use, I'm all ears.

Anyway, I had to get that off my chest. Thanks guys.
Strings are pretty subjective, I imagine that a lot of people like having the 11 in there (I do).

And you reference "standard" packs, but really this is pretty arbitrary. Standard by what measure?

I'm glad you have something that works for you, it is definitely very satisfying when you find a good set of strings (even if it means mixing and matching as you have done). I personally have no issue with D'addario's 9-42 set. They last me longer the Ernie Ball's (I feel a bit treacherous because I am putting these strings on a Ernie Ball MusicMan guitar!), and they sound good.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Maybe you would prefer to google "custom set guitar strings" and purchase from one of those vendors versus prepackaged sets?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I've never had issues with any standard sets, although I prefer balanced sets.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
You're far fussier than I am.

I'm good with plain old 942s or 1046 sets.

Just buy individual strings in bulk from one of the string vendors like juststrings.com .
Quote by dementiacaptain
Strings are pretty subjective, I imagine that a lot of people like having the 11 in there (I do).

And you reference "standard" packs, but really this is pretty arbitrary. Standard by what measure?

I'm glad you have something that works for you, it is definitely very satisfying when you find a good set of strings (even if it means mixing and matching as you have done). I personally have no issue with D'addario's 9-42 set. They last me longer the Ernie Ball's (I feel a bit treacherous because I am putting these strings on a Ernie Ball MusicMan guitar!), and they sound good.

Oh come on, you know very well by "standard" I mean 10-46. It's only the most popular brand and most sold string set EVER (Ernie Ball Regular Slinky). Also, you said you like having the 11 in there. Have you tried a 12 instead of an 11? You may not realize how ludicrous the 11 is until you try the 12 lol.

About the sites like juststrings.com, I looked into that, but I can't imagine their quality is as good as something like Dunlop or even Ernie Ball.
Quote by 8Len8
I've never had issues with any standard sets, although I prefer balanced sets.

I'll have to try some out. It looks like the goal is to achieve the same tension with each string, but I actually want less tension with the higher strings. So maybe they're not for me.
Last edited by bbzswa777 at Dec 20, 2016,
cool you found something that works for you but...

dumb thread is dumb.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
trashedlostfdup No, it would be more accurate to say it's dumb to you personally, probably because you're not someone who really focuses on detail or even technique, which is fine if that's not your thing. Based on your picture, you look like you probably play slop blues, so I'm sure you don't care about string gauge. But there are plenty of people who love to get into the details of all kinds of things, string gauge included. In fact, I was just going through some other forums today and there are A LOT of threads about string gauge. Also, Yngwie is a great example of this. I guess it was dumb when he talked about string gauge on all those occasions, interviews included. If that kind of "dumb" allows you to play as well as Yngwie did in his prime, then I'll take "dumb" any day. So while it's a dumb topic to many (old people and/or slop blues/rock players), the post wasn't targeted to "most" obviously. :-)
These things seemed a lot more important to me when I was in the learning stages, I even tried going to 13s and played that way for a few years. The tone ...and the carpal... Then did hybrid sets, etc., even thought about getting a string winding machine to do my own, but I've for the most part have settled to 9s for standard, 10s for Eb standard or D standard tuning, 11s on the 7 string in D standard tuning and that's about it.

With that in mind I am trying an 8 in the E strings and everything else standard 9 set from Fender on one of my guitars and really liking that for solos. Reason: I broke the 1st string from that set so I had an 8 Once I burn thru that set in rehearsal I'll pop in regular 9s again.
Quote by bbzswa777
Oh come on, you know very well by "standard" I mean 10-46. It's only the most popular brand and most sold string set EVER (Ernie Ball Regular Slinky). Also, you said you like having the 11 in there. Have you tried a 12 instead of an 11? You may not realize how ludicrous the 11 is until you try the 12 lol.

About the sites like juststrings.com, I looked into that, but I can't imagine their quality is as good as something like Dunlop or even Ernie Ball.

Most guitars I've played come from the factory with 9-42. Most metal guys I know play 12/13-52/54/56. All the old times I know play 9-42, or 10-46. Just the fact that there are SOOOO many sets of strings with different gauges, materials, etc. argues contrary to your point. I'm not disagreeing, 10-46 is pretty popular, but far from "standard."

In any case, I agree with Diabolical. At first it definitely seems to make a huge difference, but I would make a point that to a certain extent your playing will develop beyond being all that concerned in these marginal differences. The 11-12 argument is a good example. Realistically, that's a pretty minute difference, and not worth my time, personally.

Not knocking you man, do what you want to do, but I'm just suggesting that after the initial "wow!" of trying custom sets, the novelty wears off.
You could order from Kalium strings. I hear many good things about them. They sell many custom gauge sets and sell singles that as a set would cost about the same as one of their sets if they don't have a premade you like.

I've been meaning to try them because I haven't found a gauge set I like for my 7 string. And I don't want to buy multiple sets to mix and match.
Last edited by Liaztraht at Dec 21, 2016,
Quote by bbzswa777
trashedlostfdup No, it would be more accurate to say it's dumb to you personally, probably because you're not someone who really focuses on detail or even technique, which is fine if that's not your thing. Based on your picture, you look like you probably play slop blues, so I'm sure you don't care about string gauge. But there are plenty of people who love to get into the details of all kinds of things, string gauge included. In fact, I was just going through some other forums today and there are A LOT of threads about string gauge. Also, Yngwie is a great example of this. I guess it was dumb when he talked about string gauge on all those occasions, interviews included. If that kind of "dumb" allows you to play as well as Yngwie did in his prime, then I'll take "dumb" any day. So while it's a dumb topic to many (old people and/or slop blues/rock players), the post wasn't targeted to "most" obviously. :-)

really? you're going to be insulting without actually knowing anything more than a picture. dude trashed is a well respected member of this forum so perhaps you should have done a little more research before spouting off. I'm "old" (by this forums standards at least) and play blues and rock as well as some metal and shred type stuff. all blues isn't "slop" ever hear of Gary Moore. I'm also a huge Yngwie fan and have been since he first came to the states. ok he may use a slightly different set of strings but that's him and that may not work for everyone. been using D'addario 9-42s forever and they work fine for me.
Quote by monwobobbo
really? you're going to be insulting without actually knowing anything more than a picture. dude trashed is a well respected member of this forum so perhaps you should have done a little more research before spouting off. I'm "old" (by this forums standards at least) and play blues and rock as well as some metal and shred type stuff. all blues isn't "slop" ever hear of Gary Moore. I'm also a huge Yngwie fan and have been since he first came to the states. ok he may use a slightly different set of strings but that's him and that may not work for everyone. been using D'addario 9-42s forever and they work fine for me.

Man you clearly misunderstood much of what I said. First of all, I'm very aware that this guy is a "respected member." I'm sure there are many slop blues players who are respected on internet forums lol. In other words, being a respected member on any forum doesn't mean poo when it comes to your playing. Second, when did I ever say "all blues is slop?" Please show me where I said this, because I'm a huge blues fan and I feel there are many blues players who play amazingly clean and with great technique. And that's cool that you're an Yngwie fan, but what does that have to do with my post to this other guy lol? It's almost like you're taking my comment to him as me saying the same thing to you. If you're projecting, that's on you.

Now about your good point, of course I don't know for a fact that he plays slop blues, but he definitely fits the description by looking at his picture and his comment. BUT.... if he actually plays well, then he won't be upset because he'll know I don't know what I'm talking about. And if he does play slop blues, then I'm only speaking truth! I'm calling it like I see it just like he called it like he saw it (saying this was a dumb topic). It's not a bad thing if he plays like that; tons of people get enjoyment from all kinds of styles. He doesn't need to care about technique or string gauges or any genre, and that's cool. I was just pointing out that this kind of thread is clearly not for him. So for him to say it's dumb, when there's thousands and thousands of players who like talking about these minute details, is just pointless.
dementiacaptain That's a fair point, but again, it's clear you knew what I meant when I said "standard" lol. You know you did. Again, IT'S THE MOST SOLD, MOST POPULAR SET OF ELECTRIC GUITAR STRINGS EVER. Also, I even pointed out the string gauges of the top three strings!

But this is completely pointless to talk about lol. And I do appreciate your feedback. We just disagree or have a misunderstanding. I'm not looking for "novelty" by finding gauges that work for me. Again, was Yngwie looking for novelty when he found such light gauges and stuck with them? No, they were a big part of his technique (so was the scalloped fretboard), allowing him to bend two whole steps with such ease that he could still keep his amazing vibrato at the top of a two-step bend.

In regards to Diabolical's comment, I've been playing for quite a while, so I'm not in any early learning stage and I'm not looking for novelty in anything. Like some players, I'm just incredibly particular with everything. Some players are the opposite, and they're amazing players! We're all different. So again, I appreciate your feedback.
Last edited by bbzswa777 at Dec 21, 2016,
Quote by Liaztraht
You could order from Kalium strings. I hear many good things about them. They sell many custom gauge sets and sell singles that as a set would cost about the same as one of their sets if they don't have a premade you like.

I've been meaning to try them because I haven't found a gauge set I like for my 7 string. And I don't want to buy multiple sets to mix and match.

Wow these look awesome. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll definitely be giving these a try. I was looking at juststrings.com as well, but I'll try these first.
Quote by bbzswa777
he won't be upset because he'll know I don't know what I'm talking about.

Preaching to the choir on that one.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by bbzswa777
Man you clearly misunderstood much of what I said. First of all, I'm very aware that this guy is a "respected member." I'm sure there are many slop blues players who are respected on internet forums lol. In other words, being a respected member on any forum doesn't mean poo when it comes to your playing. Second, when did I ever say "all blues is slop?" Please show me where I said this, because I'm a huge blues fan and I feel there are many blues players who play amazingly clean and with great technique. And that's cool that you're an Yngwie fan, but what does that have to do with my post to this other guy lol? It's almost like you're taking my comment to him as me saying the same thing to you. If you're projecting, that's on you.

Now about your good point, of course I don't know for a fact that he plays slop blues, but he definitely fits the description by looking at his picture and his comment. BUT.... if he actually plays well, then he won't be upset because he'll know I don't know what I'm talking about. And if he does play slop blues, then I'm only speaking truth! I'm calling it like I see it just like he called it like he saw it (saying this was a dumb topic). It's not a bad thing if he plays like that; tons of people get enjoyment from all kinds of styles. He doesn't need to care about technique or string gauges or any genre, and that's cool. I was just pointing out that this kind of thread is clearly not for him. So for him to say it's dumb, when there's thousands and thousands of players who like talking about these minute details, is just pointless.

nope I know a snarky post when I read one. it's not hard to see why I assumed you weren't a blues fan from your post. not once did you even imply that you did just mentioned "slop blues" more than once. lets face it many yngwie fans aren't blues fans as well. you also lumped in old guys with slop blues/rock players. I'm an older player so again no shock I did kind of take offense to that comment. your post made you come off as a bit of a douche bag.
Quote by monwobobbo
nope I know a snarky post when I read one. it's not hard to see why I assumed you weren't a blues fan from your post. not once did you even imply that you did just mentioned "slop blues" more than once. lets face it many yngwie fans aren't blues fans as well. you also lumped in old guys with slop blues/rock players. I'm an older player so again no shock I did kind of take offense to that comment. your post made you come off as a bit of a douche bag.

"Nope?" You literally just admitted that you assumed. So I don't see what you're saying "nope" to lol. You just said you assumed some things that I literally never said based on me liking Yngwie and using the word "slop" lol. Logic much?

But hey I don't disagree with most of the rest of what you said. You assumed some things based on what I said, you admitted you assumed some things, and I guess that's why I was clarifying in my previous post. And I think it's definitely fair to say it was a snarky post. But if that's the case, it's VERY fair to say his reply was snarky as well. In other words, I can tell you this, I would never post something like that unprovoked. I didn't fire the first shot. It wasn't a big deal that he said the thread was dumb, but you can't act like my response wasn't provoked. If he doesn't have legitimate advice or feedback, or he doesn't find the thread interesting, he doesn't need to say it's dumb when there's clearly TONS of threads about string gauge. But he has the right to, just like I have the right to call him a slop blues player based on his picture lol. So you can't blame me for firing back. If you want to know what I was really thinking when I responded, I was basically outlining this thought: "Why would this guy chime in saying it's dumb when this kind of thread CLEARLY isn't for him?" That's it man. And I think we can both agree that this thread is not for him based on him saying it's dumb. So did I make a snarky joke? Yes, but I think it was warranted. He threw a rock, I threw back a bigger rock. That's usually how it works.
Quote by bbzswa777
"Nope?" You literally just admitted that you assumed. So I don't see what you're saying "nope" to lol. You just said you assumed some things that I literally never said based on me liking Yngwie and using the word "slop" lol. Logic much?

But hey I don't disagree with most of the rest of what you said. You assumed some things based on what I said, you admitted you assumed some things, and I guess that's why I was clarifying in my previous post. And I think it's definitely fair to say it was a snarky post. But if that's the case, it's VERY fair to say his reply was snarky as well. In other words, I can tell you this, I would never post something like that unprovoked. I didn't fire the first shot. It wasn't a big deal that he said the thread was dumb, but you can't act like my response wasn't provoked. If he doesn't have legitimate advice or feedback, or he doesn't find the thread interesting, he doesn't need to say it's dumb when there's clearly TONS of threads about string gauge. But he has the right to, just like I have the right to call him a slop blues player based on his picture lol. So you can't blame me for firing back. If you want to know what I was really thinking when I responded, I was basically outlining this thought: "Why would this guy chime in saying it's dumb when this kind of thread CLEARLY isn't for him?" That's it man. And I think we can both agree that this thread is not for him based on him saying it's dumb. So did I make a snarky joke? Yes, but I think it was warranted. He threw a rock, I threw back a bigger rock. That's usually how it works.

logic much . lets see your only references to blues music was "slop blues" not to many ways that can be taken. you then go on to mention "slop" blues again along with rock and "old people" again not to many ways that can be taken. what exactly am I supposed to take from those statements? ok so based on what you said I made what you claim to be incorrect assumptions. this is a message board and some will disagree with anything said. some may not be very diplomatic about that but their opinion are still valid (even if it may be wrong). he didn't think much of your thread ok but you made it personal and got insulting all based on ASSumptions. two way street here.
Quote by monwobobbo
logic much . lets see your only references to blues music was "slop blues" not to many ways that can be taken. you then go on to mention "slop" blues again along with rock and "old people" again not to many ways that can be taken. what exactly am I supposed to take from those statements? ok so based on what you said I made what you claim to be incorrect assumptions. this is a message board and some will disagree with anything said. some may not be very diplomatic about that but their opinion are still valid (even if it may be wrong). he didn't think much of your thread ok but you made it personal and got insulting all based on ASSumptions. two way street here.

I'm being 100% honest, it's like you're arguing against someone else who doesn't exist in this conversation. Are you just not reading what I'm saying? Or maybe you're misreading? Your inability to understand simple statements is actually baffling. Here's an example, just read the first two sentences of your last reply above. Done reading? Again, you're saying you're "taking" something a certain way. Before that you said you "assumed." I agree with this. You assumed some things based on some things I said, things I understand to make it easy for you to assume what you did, WHICH I AGREE IS FAIR, and because you assumed, you misunderstood. In other words: I'M NOT BLAMING YOU FOR ASSUMING AND MISUNDERSTANDING, THAT'S WHY I CLARIFIED. By clarifying, I wasn't implying that you shouldn't have assumed, because it was a fair assumption. I was just pointing out that I never said all blues was slop. Me asking "where did I say that" or "show me where I said that" is the quickest way to get to the bottom of why you thought that. I was only bringing up the fact that you misunderstood so I could get us on the same page. Not everything is an insult. But when it comes to whether or not I like blues, this is the one assumption you made that is not logical. You said "slop blues" cannot be taken another way. I'm sorry, you're never going to convince me or anyone else that using the words "slop blues" makes it fair to assume that person doesn't enjoy good blues playing. That's completely illogical.

And about my supposed "ASSumption," I already told you I made a snarky joke. In other words, I wasn't assuming he was a slop blues player at all because I don't actually believe that lol. Could he be a slop blues player? Yeah. He could also be a jazz player for all I know. I'm making a snarky joke based on his appearance. Meaning, if someone was here with a gun to my head, forcing me to bet my car on whether or not he plays slop blues, I probably would shit my pants because I have no idea (you can see I already pointed out that this was a joke in my last reply). But if someone stood him up next to a skinny Asian guy, and they asked, "Which one of these people plays slop blues?" I would have to bet on your "respected member."

And look at this statement you made right here: "this is a message board and some will disagree with anything said. some may not be very diplomatic about that but their opinion are still valid." That literally makes my case for me. I was not diplomatic, nor was he, I was responding to his "un-diplomatic ways" with my un-diplomatic ways, we both said our piece, left it at that, then you, a third party, decided to come in and defend your all-time "respected member."

I want you to know, me being specific and explaining what's really going on here is not me trying to frustrate or insult you. It really seems like you're taking it that way, probably because there are other people in forums in the past who did so. But just look at what I'm actually saying, not what you assume it to mean. And if you're not sure about something, I can clarify!
bbzswa777 I suggest you take a walk outside.

In any case, what you said could've been a lot more intelligent and carefully thought out. You were using terms that can be fairly interpreted as derogatory and you made a lot of stupid and disparaging assumptions about regular users who make meaningful contributions to this community. That's simply not on.

I suggest closing this thread and giving TS a warning.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Guys, while I'm not necessarily supporting TS's tirade and somewhat confusing explanation of why he's not an asshole (not saying he is or isn't), if we are being fair Trashed did make a useless post just to call the thread dumb. There were a million better ways to explain why this thread is a bit silly (I tried to do that exact thing in my first post), but he took the low road.

TS has definitely went above and beyond any reason in his responses to Trashed and Monwobobb, but it's not like he was a dick from the opening, and not recognizing Trashed's comment as being provoking is being unfair.

I like Trashed, I know he can be a bit blunt, but I don't think we get to excuse bad posts just because we like the person.

In any case, I doubt that this thread will improve from here, it's become a mess already, closing is probably a good idea, but if warnings are being handed out then they need to be handed out to all responsible parties, or not at all.
Quote by bbzswa777

That's loopy logic... and baseless.

Most string brands don't make their own strings; they buy them from one of the far fewer manufacturers that actually make them. So does juststrings.com. So do most other bulk string vendors.

The main difference is that you're not paying for all of the promotion and advertising and packaging and branding, etc., that influences and brainwashes you into thinking that a particular brand name is better than another. You're also not paying for the extra layer of extra distribution and profit costs related to brick and mortar and minimum advertised pricing required by the brand names.

So. Bitch about how your favored brand name folks package your strings or buy in bulk the way the professionals do.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Guys, while I'm not necessarily supporting TS's tirade and somewhat confusing explanation of why he's not an asshole (not saying he is or isn't), if we are being fair Trashed did make a useless post just to call the thread dumb. There were a million better ways to explain why this thread is a bit silly (I tried to do that exact thing in my first post), but he took the low road.

TS has definitely went above and beyond any reason in his responses to Trashed and Monwobobb, but it's not like he was a dick from the opening, and not recognizing Trashed's comment as being provoking is being unfair.

I like Trashed, I know he can be a bit blunt, but I don't think we get to excuse bad posts just because we like the person.

In any case, I doubt that this thread will improve from here, it's become a mess already, closing is probably a good idea, but if warnings are being handed out then they need to be handed out to all responsible parties, or not at all.

can't disagree with what you said. ok things have gotten a bit out of had here. the OP has a style that doesn't always work as he intended. no reason to close thread or hand out warnings the discussion while off track has been civil for the most part.

bbzswa777 I have nothing against you and will encourage you to continue posting. I will advise you to think about how you go about posting as you have made some statements that invite problems. you are only specific when called out which is an easy thing to avoid.

ok lets all be friends and carry on
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
bbzswa777 I suggest you take a walk outside.

In any case, what you said could've been a lot more intelligent and carefully thought out. You were using terms that can be fairly interpreted as derogatory and you made a lot of stupid and disparaging assumptions about regular users who make meaningful contributions to this community. That's simply not on.

I suggest closing this thread and giving TS a warning.

I agree we should all be friends except for me and T00DEEPBLUE lol. "Take a walk outside." Like that hasn't been said in threads before to imply that someone needs to cool off lol. Explaining something in detail and pointing out someone's fallacies doesn't mean I need to cool off. But that's besides the point. Let's get into this DEEPBLUE; you said I made assumptions. You must not read very well. Look above and you'll see I've explained TWICE that this was a joke. So a joke is now the same as a stupid assumption? Got it. You must get along great with feminists and SJW's alike. No jokes! Got it.

And no one has yet explained how using the words "slop blues" means I think all blues is slop. If I see some kid sweep picking and it all sounds like a garbled mess, when I call it "slop metal," I guess that means I think all metal is slop as well lol. That's why I said "logic much," and you know deep down that's warranted.

Also, you said "meaningful contributions to this community." This is a serious question: how can you type something like that without shoving yourself into a locker? The rest of you know I'm right. You would punch yourself in the faces for saying something like that.

But Dementiacaptain seems to be the only one in this argument who is capable of being reasonable (I'm not including people who simply gave suggestions about the thread's actual topic; they may be cool as well). I don't think it's wrong to be a dick back to someone who was a dick first, and to his buttbuddy who felt like he had to stick up for him.
Quote by monwobobbo
can't disagree with what you said. ok things have gotten a bit out of had here. the OP has a style that doesn't always work as he intended. no reason to close thread or hand out warnings the discussion while off track has been civil for the most part.

bbzswa777 I have nothing against you and will encourage you to continue posting. I will advise you to think about how you go about posting as you have made some statements that invite problems. you are only specific when called out which is an easy thing to avoid.

ok lets all be friends and carry on

I agree buddy. But about being specific when only called out, it wouldn't have been a very snarky joke if I had said something like: "You look like you play slop blues, but I'm only basing that on your picture and I don't really believe it, but I'm saying it to fire back for your dumb thread comment. And by slop blues, let me now proceed to write an essay on what I mean by "slop blues." The term slop blues was coined by the late great Buddy Guy... blah blah blah blah..."

You have to admit, that's not very funny!
bbzswa777

I didn't mean to offend, I just meant it as a smartass comment. the reason i said such (that i maybe should have said in my first post) is because strings are personal preferences. everyone likes different things.

I use a lot of different strings. 11's on everything in standard (with the exception of one tele, and one ibanez). any lower than drop D gets 12's. I never tune lower than C#STD. different guitars are used for different purposes for me.

If what you are doing works for you, keep doing it. there is nothing wrong with that.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
bbzswa777

I didn't mean to offend, I just meant it as a smartass comment. the reason i said such (that i maybe should have said in my first post) is because strings are personal preferences. everyone likes different things.

I use a lot of different strings. 11's on everything in standard (with the exception of one tele, and one ibanez). any lower than drop D gets 12's. I never tune lower than C#STD. different guitars are used for different purposes for me.

If what you are doing works for you, keep doing it. there is nothing wrong with that.

Makes sense to me. And if you've managed to read everything in this long thread, you'll know by now that I was joking when commenting on your playing style. I have no idea how you play! So sorry if that offended you in any way.

I do agree that string gauge simply comes down to preference, but I guess people would realize that in my original post, I was looking for others who would agree/disagree with me on the 11 and 12 thing, but more importantly, have some kind of insight or explanation as to why Ernie Ball went: "Nah, throw that 12 out and let's put an 11 in." The tone of the 11 even sounds a bit too thin to me. But clearly not to everyone else! Thanks for the reply.
bbzswa777 no worries. no offense taken.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!