Page 1 of 2
So I got a '03 schecter C-1 Artist from guitar center for a steal at only $180. With being 13 years old it's got its fair share of buckle rash and what not, which doesn't bother me. But I noticed when I got it, cause I bought it off line, that the neck where the binding is at has these thin cracks in the paint on both sides of the neck from the nut to about the 3rd fret. Is this just blemish cracks or are my fears correct that the fret board might be separating from the neck? It plays great, no real fret buzz, and the neck is pretty straight. but the cracks worry me
Hard to tell in a picture. Can you feel it? Is the crack deep?
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Of course. But I'm wondering if it's worth the fix. I just got it a couple days ago and guitar center as their 45 day return policy so I could always get my money back and get something else
If it is separation, it is certainly fixable, but I would be wanting to know if it is cost effective. That is does "price + fix" still look good. There are also intangibles, for example, how much you like that particular guitar, or whether the whole deal now leaves you feeling dissatisfied.
Quote by lp_dude_2
Of course. But I'm wondering if it's worth the fix. I just got it a couple days ago and guitar center as their 45 day return policy so I could always get my money back and get something else

Do it. Even if its just a crack in the finish, id take it back.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Yeah I'd definitely take that back... I'd imagine that even if you could get a repair for a reasonable price, you'd no longer be in the "good deal" territory, but rather the very average deal territory, if not the shitty deal territory of pricing.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
take it back for sure.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Absolutely take it back.

Even if that was repaired and made structurally sound again, repairing the damage to the guitar's finish on top of that, you might be looking at spending as much on repairs as what you paid for the whole guitar.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by Tony Done
If it is separation, it is certainly fixable, but I would be wanting to know if it is cost effective. That is does "price + fix" still look good. There are also intangibles, for example, how much you like that particular guitar, or whether the whole deal now leaves you feeling dissatisfied.

Well I do love the look of the guitar, the binding and the inlays especially. And it came with a JB/59 set stock so it needs no upgrades. But between this fretboard crap and all the buckle rash on the back I'm starting to rethink this. thanks for the help guy
Is it cracked on both sides? Also get a small needle and see how far you can push in.

For all we know it's a finish crack.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Take it back it's not like used Schecters are hard to find or expensive that guitar was only $180 for that reason if I had to guess and knowing how GC operates they probably paid $75-$90 tops for it.

It has a meaty volute looks like the headstock may have hit the floor at one time or another and the volute saved it from snapping off so the trauma manifest itself in fretboard separation.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Dec 19, 2016,
Return it but have a replacement picked out and try to negotiate a good deal on the replacement.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by gorkyporky
Do it. Even if its just a crack in the finish, id take it back.

yep if it's within warranty all the other possible solutions are kind of academic, if you ask me- that's one of the reasons you buy from a store, so you have comeback if something goes wrong. Something has gone wrong- so take it back.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yep if it's within warranty all the other possible solutions are kind of academic, if you ask me- that's one of the reasons you buy from a store, so you have comeback if something goes wrong. Something has gone wrong- so take it back.

Yeah like why bother with a somewhat major fix that you'll have to pay for out of pocket if you can still return or exchange it?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by lp_dude_2
And I could see the fretboard separate when I pushed the needle in. Well guess I'll be returning it

There you go, you know now.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by lp_dude_2

Take it back.
Yeah I'm gonna take it to guitar center tomorrow so that they can refund me my money. I came across a C-1 Platinum that has a EMG-81/85 set in it on Craigslist that a guy is willing to sell for $250 so as long as it's in the condition he says it's in, which is like new because he bought it brand new and never really played it, then I'm getting it
Quote by lp_dude_2
Yeah I'm gonna take it to guitar center tomorrow so that they can refund me my money. I came across a C-1 Platinum that has a EMG-81/85 set in it on Craigslist that a guy is willing to sell for $250 so as long as it's in the condition he says it's in, which is like new because he bought it brand new and never really played it, then I'm getting it

Good choice. And I would hope that a used C-1 Platinum is in like new condition, as they've only been out for less than a year. Unless it's the Damien Platinum, with the bat inlays. Those have been around much longer.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Nope. It's got some weird cross looking thing on the 12th fret and off set dots on the rest of the board. And the truss rod cover clearly says "C-1 Platinum"
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Yeah like why bother with a somewhat major fix that you'll have to pay for out of pocket if you can still return or exchange it?

yeah definitely. I know not so much in this thread, but at other times (maybe even on other forums) i've seen people tell people (when something is still inside the warranty period) to do a whole pile of troubleshooting, and even to attempt fixes, and if you ask me that's terrible advice- you can often void your warranty attempting to fix it yourself, and if the problem ends up being more serious than initially suspected by those trying to "help", you're SOL. If you ask me that's pretty cavalier of those who are trying to "help", and just poor form.

Don't get me wrong- obviously you should check some basic stuff to be sure that user error isn't the problem, but that's the kind of stuff which can be safely and easily checked without voiding your warrany.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah definitely. I know not so much in this thread, but at other times (maybe even on other forums) i've seen people tell people (when something is still inside the warranty period) to do a whole pile of troubleshooting, and even to attempt fixes, and if you ask me that's terrible advice- you can often void your warranty attempting to fix it yourself, and if the problem ends up being more serious than initially suspected by those trying to "help", you're SOL. If you ask me that's pretty cavalier of those who are trying to "help", and just poor form.

Don't get me wrong- obviously you should check some basic stuff to be sure that user error isn't the problem, but that's the kind of stuff which can be safely and easily checked without voiding your warrany.

Warranty work should always be first if its possible and this is coming from a guy that DIYs all the time. DIY is supposed to save you money at the end of the day, not make you pay for a repair out of pocket that could've been covered.

There is a time and a place for it, but for this particular situation? Not a chance.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Exactly. I know i'm not much good at DIY, but as you said, even if it's one of your main hobbies (or even your job) and you're really good at it, there's a time and a place for it- generally if you're already outside warranty and you'll have to pay for repairs anyway (though you still want to be careful that you don't break the thing worse and turn a minor fault which could be cheaply fixed into a major and expensive repair ).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 20, 2016,
Good on you mate. Hope it all work out ok too.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by lp_dude_2
Nope. It's got some weird cross looking thing on the 12th fret and off set dots on the rest of the board. And the truss rod cover clearly says "C-1 Platinum"

Nice. Yeah, those have only been out since last year. And, unless it's one of the early prototype models, it should actually have the EMG 57/66 set, not the 81/85. I have those in my Hellraiser Hybrid, and they're great. Just as hot and metalish as the 81/85, if you push them, but capable of some much lighter, more articulate tones. And the 66 is seriously one of the best sounding clean neck humbuckers I've ever used. And I have a SD Jazz in the neck of one of my other ones.
Guitars
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
The 57*/66 set is way better than the 81/85. The 66 in the neck is just goly for leads and clean tones, and the 57 is like a fuller, more articulate version of the 81. Seriously, if you can get that in a guitar, you wont need to change pickups ever again
gorkyporky
Since we're already way off topic, have you tried the 57/66 through the crunch channel of that PowerBall? I'd love to get a personal opinion on how well you can pull off what I call a rock tone - think Guns N' Roses by setting up Channel 2 on the PowerBall and playing with the volume knob on the guitar. I use the ReValver Sim of the PowerBall II and I would use the Tweed/Raw/Vintage Modes on my Mesa Roadster.

I've still got an itch for these 57/66 and they would probably end up in my E-II Eclipse but I'd love something better than the demos I can find online. Something that can handle Thrash and Rock well with a responsive volume knob.

If I'm too far off topic just delete me!!
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
metalmingee

I have tried it, but i honestly cant say. I have my eq set for the clean tone, so i never fiddle with the crunch channel much, since i dont really need it. I did test it out a bit a few days ago actually, and it sounded good, but i didnt have any specific tone in mind. It was a nice crunchy rock tone tho, i liked it.

I find the volume knobs pretty responsive on the pickups tho. If i need crunch i actually just roll down the volume instead of actually going to the crunch channel They clean up really nicely, and the 66 can have a nice bluesy tone when you roll down the volume and play some leads. I honestly cant say a bad thing about this pickups, except that its a shame they are not splittable. Sound wise, i dont think you can get anything much better than them, if you play mostly hi gain metal.
gorkyporky
Thanks man!!
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Page 1 of 2