Sorry, I'm not sure whether to put this thread in Recording or Gear & Accessories,

but I found this video earlier,

What is that effect? It sounds like a violin, but its a guitar
I used to be a violinist for a bit over a decade before switching to electric guitar,
Sometimes, I miss the sound, so I hope you may understand why I'm asking

Hopefully a software pedal, if its an actual pedal, that's fine too

Thanks
-P
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
Last edited by Parac at Dec 19, 2016,
Quote by korinaflyingv
I can't see the link but I would guess it's an ebow.

Oops, sorry about that, forgot how bbcodes worked for a sec,
I'm pretty sure its not an ebow because it looks like a tiny pick
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
Quote by korinaflyingv
He's using his volume knob to fade the first note in, and there's also a synth doubling the melody. You could get the same effect if you had a MIDI pickup. Or you could probably get close enough with a hint of octave up.

Yep, it's volume swell technique, not a device.

Here's Bill Kirchen talking about Telecasters. He starts talking about swells a minute in, and demonstrates it very clearly @2 minutes in.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I dunno guys he clearly has something on the neck of the guitar at the first fret that could be an ebow.
It is just a volume fade in and a violin over-dub. You could get similar results by, you guessed it, overdubbing your guitars with a violin. Also an octave-up generation would be similar.
Quote by monwobobbo
I dunno guys he clearly has something on the neck of the guitar at the first fret that could be an ebow.
I feel like your comment is sarcasm but I am not sure... If not, that is just a, erm thing. I am not sure the technical term for it. It just helps to mute latent string noise. It is just like a headband.
Quote by Will Lane
It is just a volume fade in and a violin over-dub. You could get similar results by, you guessed it, overdubbing your guitars with a violin. Also an octave-up generation would be similar.I feel like your comment is sarcasm but I am not sure... If not, that is just a, erm thing. I am not sure the technical term for it. It just helps to mute latent string noise. It is just like a headband.

no sarcasm and i'm pretty sure that isn't something to prevent string vibration but could be wrong.
Quote by korinaflyingv
Like how would that even work, the notes would be totally different.
? If you are talking about the fretwrap, it is not like a capo. It just rests on top the strings to keep open notes from ringing out.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 20, 2016,
There's no eBow.
He doesn't have a sustainer on the guitar, either.
No MIDI required (though that would also work).

It's likely just a patch he's set on his Axe-FX that features a lot of compression/sustain.
There are some pitch shift options that will allow you to get the third-up type harmonizer sound he uses in a piece of the song as well.
There's nothing here that can't be done with a decent multi-FX.
Quote by monwobobbo

You've clearly never seen or used an eBow.
An eBow is a sort of big clunky thing that's held in the palm of your picking hand, and it works on one string at a time:

You can't move it from string to string quickly enough to mimic the picking things that Cole is doing in the videos, nor can you get any attack out of it.

I have sustainers on several guitars that allow this kind of attack plus sustain with no other electronics required (in fact, you can use a guitar-equipped sustainer direct into a mixing board and get the effect). But Cole's guitar is not equipped with a Sustainer, either.

Pinky Swells: Having the volume knob close enough to your picking hand to allow you to roll on the volume is key here. I've moved the volume knob on a couple of my LPs to facilitate that (the volume knob on my JTV89F's is already in position, as it is on the ESP E-II in the video), and you'll notice that the TELE Bill Kirchen is playing has had the controls flipped to allow him to have the volume knob where he can reach it more easily.

Last edited by dspellman at Dec 20, 2016,
Quote by dspellman
You've clearly never seen or used an eBow.
An eBow is a sort of big clunky thing that's held in the palm of your picking hand, and it works on one string at a time:

You can't move it from string to string quickly enough to mimic the picking things that Cole is doing in the videos, nor can you get any attack out of it.
I have sustainers on several guitars that allow this kind of attack plus sustain with no other electronics required (in fact, you can use a guitar-equipped sustainer direct into a mixing board and get the effect). But Cole's guitar is not equipped with a Sustainer, either.

Pinky Swells: Having the volume knob close enough to your picking hand to allow you to roll on the volume is key here. I've moved the volume knob on a couple of my LPs to facilitate that (the volume knob on my JTV89F's is already in position, as it is on the ESP E-II in the video), and you'll notice that the TELE Bill Kirchen is playing has had the controls flipped to allow him to have the volume knob where he can reach it more easily.

ok I surrender you guys are as bad as my wife when I make a mistake. I have seen an ebow though never used one. I saw the video at work quick saw something at first fret and thought it might be a sustain device. I was wrong ok
He's shown us weakness! Git'im!

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
He's shown us weakness! Git'im!

Hah...... it will take more than 5 little anime girls to take me down. better at least send the girls from Baby Metal and a few more for good measure.