I'm having troubles getting better at tapping, sweeping, and a bunch of other stuff,

I'm considering getting lessons from a guitar teacher, because it seems learning on my own isn't quite working for this

I used to go to Guitar Center for my guitar related repairs/adjustments (etc.) but someone mentioned their techs having to meet quota and don't do as well as private shops, so if GC teachers are the same, I'm curious:

how did you (those who learned from teachers) find your teacher?

I want to get a general idea so I know where to look to find one

(btw, mods/admins I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post)
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
I never went to a private teacher. My home town maintained arts education in the form of both basic lessons and a formal music academy, and I went to both.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
My first guitar teacher was from University, so I didn't have much of a choice there.

But I found another teacher later on that was teaching me jazz through craigslist.
I learned a lot at first from him because he taught me some really practical and nifty things.
But later on I felt like he was just regurgitating the exercises he had when he was learning in school.
So after a while I stopped lessons with him.

I took up lessons again from another guitarist I met who through friends. He is insanely good.
I seeked him out because I asked him one time for a tip on soloing and he gave me some dope advice.
Basically the advice was "try to know what you're going to play, before you play it". Try to practice singing with your guitar like Geroge Benson to get better at this.

So I took more lessons from him and every lesson was GOLD. He really got down to the root of what good guitar playing was and it made me better so fast.
Unfortunately I had to stop because I had some personal issues I had to deal with at the time.
But I definitely hope to go back to learn from him again.
His name is Luke Thomas in California, if you might be interested in maybe doing online lessons with him.
http://www.lukewhatimade.com/

But I'd say, just find any teacher if you have no connections and then just keep evaluating if they care about your success as a student.
I really think that's the key difference between a great teacher and one just trying to make some money.

Hope that helps!
"Every time you pick up your guitar to play, play as if it's the last time" -Eric Clapton
www.guitareasier.com
My first lessons were at a local small guitar shop. Then in college I took a couple semesters of classical guitar elective (plus a bunch of other theory, composition, etc as part of a minor in Music), had some lessons from one of the adjunct jazz faculty who was getting his PhD, and I currently take lessons from some random dude with a bunch of music degrees who had an ad on craigslist.

I would also be highly skeptical of everything in Guitar Center. Beyond the teacher quality itself, I'd be concerned with turnover. I mean you can follow a good teacher to their next teaching situation, but who knows if the price, location, and times would still be practical. And I'd think any teacher worth following to another studio would probably not be teaching at Guitar Center.

And I can vouch that their in-house techs aren't so great. In my search for a new guitar this last weekend, I checked out the same G&L model at two different guitar centers. The first one was the quality guitar I expected, but the second one had buzzy frets all over and just didn't quite feel right - I actually wondered if it was a replacement neck. As I was trying it out, a salesperson walked by and boasted that it had just been set up by their tech. I wanted to give him a highly skeptical look, but just let him know that it was still buzzing a little bit.
I'm playing guitar for 6 years now and never took any lessons, because either time or money (usually both) were an issue. I started off with the basics. Learning chords and basic progressions. I remember using howcast (youtube channel - how to play guitar) for quite the long time untill I was confident in the basics. Then I kinda just started playing from tabs and figured everything out myself and googled this and that form time to time. I also can recommend Justin Sandercoe's free online courses, which range from complete beginners to advanced techniques. I still do the lessons from time time just to make sure I didn't miss anything essential.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.