What is up everyone. I need a little help. I am currently using a pod hd500x, even live i di, and im not getting the tones im lookin for. So, ive decided to purchase a hughes and kettner tubemeister 36 head. Before i do i have a couple questions, will 36 watts be enough to play at practice?, and what would be a decent cab to run this thing through. I dont wanna get the matching cab. Haha
What is your cab budget? I usually like the Marshall 1960a cab used as you can find these around the $500 mark. Maybe you don't want to carry a 4x12 though... The Mesa 2x12 is also nice if you like darker sound as the H&K's are a bit on the bright side, or the Celestion loaded Carvin Legacy 2x12s if you can stand the outre design or the $50 "upgrade" to black tolex:
http://carvinaudio.com/collections/guitar-cabinets/products/c212be

30 tube watts or so are enough to cut above a drummer, the question is how loud you want to get. If you have a guy with a Mesa Triple Recto full stack next to you you'd probably won't cut through
do you realise it's (probably) hybrid? it has an extra preamp tube over the smaller tubemeisters but i still kinda suspect shenanigans

if you already know this and don't care, no problem. just pointing it out in case you don't know.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This one features 3 preamp tubes and 4 power amp tubes, so the power section is tube for sure. The preamp section is 3 channel so it could be all tube as well if they're using solid state/fet for the fx loop, but it could be shenanigans. I asked H&K to supply diagram to see what is going on and they never answered or acknowledged the communication.
^ Yeah definitely. It could be tube, with that extra preamp tube... but if i remember correctly they swore blind the regular 18 watt tubemeister was all-tube too, and then a schematic popped up online and it very clearly wasn't.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The 18 watter wasn't, neither was their flagship of a few years ago, don't remember if it was the TriAmp or something else but it had enough preamp tubes for one channel and claimed 3 or 4 switchable. When I hit them up with questions they said that the midi switching settings were memorized in the amp so you only needed one preamp that all 3 or 4 channels used, something like that but it's been a while...definitely shenanigans
yeah i don't think it was the triamp, it has a ton of preamp tubes IIRC. maybe the switchblade or something like that?

but yeah they definitely have form with shenanigans... the old edition tube had some solid state stuff going on in it too. and with the tubemeister i think someone actually emailed them to ask (it's on a thread here if someone can be bothered to do a search) where they said it was all-tube...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc It's the Switchblade! They email me and said it was all tube as well. You do the math and there's just no way it is
They'd never provide the schematics on these and if you question them, they'd just brush you off.
^ haha yeah

Quote by diabolical
Dave_Mc It's the Switchblade! They email me and said it was all tube as well. You do the math and there's just no way it is
They'd never provide the schematics on these and if you question them, they'd just brush you off.

Yeah, the old "you're awfully cynical for not trusting me but I won't provide you with any evidence to back up what I'm saying either" thing always rings warning bells for me too. I tried the switchblade ages ago (before I knew as much about shenanigans as I do now- i.e. I thought it was all-tube when I tried it) and I didn't much like it. It sounded like a solid state to me.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
At least a "our schematics are proprietary and cannot be shared" or some kind of answer, in their case it was one email asking if it was all tube, they answered it was all tube, then I asked them to prove it and never got an answer
Yeah, the Switchblade was too bright and weird sounding, I didn't get it either as there was something fishy there.
yeah. i mean to a certain extent i can understand keeping it secret, but on the other hand, especially when you have form with shenanigans, i don't think it's unexpected if people don't believe you
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?