Hey guys

Gonna be buying my first USA Fender quite soon. The guy I'm purchasing it from doesn't seem to know much about it, hoping to dig up a bit more info and details. I've done a fair amount of reading up on them. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Also from the pics is it a real/fake one? It includes the original case along with several documents.

Thanks!
The pickups seem to be swapped for one unless it was a custom shop deal.

https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us/articles/212774746-How-can-I-find-out-when-my-American-made-instrument-was-manufactured-

It looks like it's a 1998 model according to the link above.

What's the guy asking for in price?
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
looks like the pick guard and bridge pup have been swapped out. i don't see any glaring signs of a fake, just usual owner desired "upgrades". ( and ones that actually take away from the retail value of the guitar).

it also has the S1 switching info page in the case candy. i don't know if that's original either, i am not sure if the lace sensor equip'd strat plus guitars had S-1 switching back then. they may have, i just don't recall.

Quote by bjgrifter
The pickups seem to be swapped for one unless it was a custom shop deal.

https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us/articles/212774746-How-can-I-find-out-when-my-American-made-instrument-was-manufactured-

It looks like it's a 1998 model according to the link above.

What's the guy asking for in price?

actually i get 1990 from the link above.
N9+5 digits = 1990
or a 1999, but i doubt it
N9+5 or 6 digits

that's odd. (about both being possible, not about that guitar. i'd wager it's a 1990)
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Dec 19, 2016,
Quote by gregs1020
looks like the pick guard and bridge pup have been swapped out. i don't see any glaring signs of a fake, just usual owner desired "upgrades". ( and ones that actually take away from the retail value of the guitar).

it also has the S1 switching info page in the case candy. i don't know if that's original either, i am not sure if the lace sensor equip'd strat plus guitars had S-1 switching back then. they may have, i just don't recall.

actually i get 1990 from the link above.
N9+5 digits = 1990
or a 1999, but i doubt it
N9+5 or 6 digits

that's odd. (about both being possible, not about that guitar. i'd wager it's a 1990)

I also get 1990 from what I've been reading up. These locking tuners, nut and pickups seem to be right for that year as well.

They didn't come with the S1 Switching system from what I've read. Seems to be equipped on the newer models. Perhaps it was installed along with the Seymour Duncan? The guitar needs to be rewired as well by the way.
Upon closer inspection of the tags in that pic, they all seem to be for a Fender Deluxe Series Stratocaster. Not sure if this is right.
Looked at some online pics, the case seems to be correct.

After conversion I'm looking at about $900 or so. He's driving a distance to meet me so want to be sure.
I don't know much about Lace pickups, but if the labels are colour-coded by model (which would make sense) then the Deluxe Series designation would be consistent, as according to this page the main difference between the Plus and Plus Deluxe is that the Deluxe tended to have Blue in the neck, Silver in the middle and Red in the bridge while the Plus tended to have Golds.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I don't know much about Lace pickups, but if the labels are colour-coded by model (which would make sense) then the Deluxe Series designation would be consistent, as according to this page the main difference between the Plus and Plus Deluxe is that the Deluxe tended to have Blue in the neck, Silver in the middle and Red in the bridge while the Plus tended to have Golds.

this is correct. the earliest Strat Plus Deluxe model had a blue in the bridge and silver in middle and neck (my 89 has this configuration). later they went to the Red/Silver/Blue.

look legit to me however since it's not all original the price may be a bit on the high side.
Wow, what a beautiful guitar. The hardware absolutely looks legit, I am a bit envious. The serial number is on the front of the headstock, hmmm. I owned a 92 strat & I don't remember where the serial # was. My '16 strat has the serial on the back. I'm leaning towards it being real, but I am not 100% sure. I've never seen a finish like that on MIA Strat. Absolutely stunning.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.