Poll: vote your conscience below
Poll Options
View poll results: vote your conscience below
bradulator was right (hbu)
1 8%
bradulator is a neoliberal shill (hbd)
3 23%
I'll be honest, I'm not sure what irony is...
3 23%
de-classcucking nihilist memes about zlavoj zizek lmao
6 46%
Voters: 13.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/19/opinion/how-to-live-without-irony-for-real-this-time-.html
The postmodern era left us despondent and skeptical, prone to toy idly with old forms and make fun of the idiocy of some of our forebears. If religion and other foundational institutions that have lost their symbolic capital over the centuries left a seemingly unfillable void, it might come as a relief for us to realize that there actually are values that deserve to be defended, values that have become glaringly clear in the wake of the election. Young people, and the more hopeful among us, see that convictions are still possible. There is a reason to unnumb oneself from the stupor of dumb media and listicle listlessness. Life has a new, much-needed urgency that it lacked before for too many.

what do you think?
New sincerity is a bourgeois ideological simulation of selfhood formed by power relations and the sweet sweet bloodlust for thanatos and so on and so on

/dank
Quote by JustRooster
That's a shamanic incantation of truth if I ever heard one.
Better than a lot of things though
Quote by JustRooster
I honestly have no idea what you dorks are dorking on about when you say shit like "post-modernism" or "new sincerity."
Free Ali
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
More seriously though, irony often comes off as side-stepping opportunities to take meaningful action in favor of a low-effort, moderate-reward payoff.
Quote by JustRooster
wtf is "the age of irony" ?

that article is cancer
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

dank af
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
shared
regrammed
retweeted

no how could trump win?
no one I follow was voting for him!
occupy democrats said the electors would defect.
have memes failed me?
is there more to life than .gifs & .jpegs?
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Hello James. I would like to order a small pepperoni with extra cheese, if you know what I mean LAUGH OUT LOUD. In the event that you are unaware of what it is I am talking about when I say extra cheese, I am referring to the child slaves that you keep chained in the basement of your establishment of course. Thanks.
-Hillary

Quote by Aeolian Harmony
More seriously though, irony often comes off as side-stepping opportunities to take meaningful action in favor of a low-effort, moderate-reward payoff.

Pretty much.

I still don't know how post-modernism is post-anything, in that it's just pessimistic modernism rather than a refutation, but the absence of objective meaning has spurred many a lame-duck, ironic, detached, unfocused, oh-so-random texts I detest.
Quote by neidnarb11890
shared
regrammed
retweeted

no how could trump win?
no one I follow was voting for him!
occupy democrats said the electors would defect.
have memes failed me?
is there more to life than .gifs & .jpegs?

This is why Trump won xd
Because I'm a big nerd I went and sourced a quote for this.

Quote by Ranciere, a French Marxist who fucking hates other Marxists
But melancholic prediction does not revolve around verifiable facts. It simply tells us: things are not what they seem to be. This is a proposition that does not run the risk of ever being refuted. Melancholy feeds on its own impotence
If we're empirically and logically critical, nothing can be proven from a human perspective, and even if it could the massiveness of the universe and the abstractions that are things like meanings and purposes to existence render them a human impossibility. You still get out of bed each morning - may as well go do something u dig?

also at the end of the day Zizek does flail about and makes his own theory look like shit (probably bc he takes from psychoanalyists, the quack fuck)

Quote by ali.guitarkid7

I still don't know how post-modernism is post-anything, in that it's just pessimistic modernism rather than a refutation, but the absence of objective meaning has spurred many a lame-duck, ironic, detached, unfocused, oh-so-random texts I detest.
I disagree that P-M is just "pessimistic modernism" - I don't know how, for example, the post modern or post structuralist conception of the self, or of human nature, could EVER sit next to classical modernist doctrines let alone just in regards to the centralised self modernism wanted from individuals - it is a direct contradiction, and therefore a negation, of modernist ideals. Practically it might appear similar but theoretically they are categorically not. But that's why people like Bauman call it "liquid modernism" instead and have their own theories. Obviously society isn't actually postmodern, or there would be no real structure at all.

That said I'd agree that pomo works within the mo tradition (but like I say I think that's different to being that tradition)
Quote by ranciere my bae again
these theses remain trapped in the logic of the critical tradition. They remain faithful to the thesis of the ineluctable historical process and its necessary effect: the mechanism of inversion that transforms reality into illusion and illusion into reality ... They continue to denounce an inability to know and a desire to ignore. This critique of the critical tradition therefore still employs its concepts and procedures

I can see a similar thing happening with modernism.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Dec 21, 2016,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Could you define both traditions for me?

I got you, fam.

both
bōTH
predeterminer, determiner, & pronoun
1. used to refer to two people or things, regarded and identified together.
"both his parents indulged him"

tra·di·tion
trəˈdiSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: tradition
1.an artistic or literary method or style established by an artist, writer, or movement, and subsequently followed by others.
"visionary works in the tradition of William Blake"

Quote by ErikLensherr

lmao I'm not sure they could do so themselves.

I guess I'd call modernism - broadly speaking - a philosophical but also cultural movement built around the idea of progression through scientific discovery and a focus on order in society, with a strong focus on the individual having a core identity that they craft through their own autonomy. It was heavily influenced by positivist and -briefly- logical positivist thought. The latter was torn to shreds for failing in its core premise of verificationism - something the pomos somewhat helped with.

Postmodernism is by and large a rejection of grand narratives (starting with ppl like Lyotard) or really anything teleological, and a rejection of those things which modernism held at its core: a rejection of the self being in any way unified, a rejection of the idea that we are autonomous so much as we are a collection of external influences (this comes from post-structuralism too), a rejection of the veracity of science (that built on centuries-old writings by the likes of Hume and Nietzsche) and a distaste for authority. Rather than existing as a realisation of modernism's naivety it is much more a categorical theoretical rejection of their ever actually coherently existing.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Dec 21, 2016,
Quote by MinterMan22
Hello James. I would like to order a small pepperoni with extra cheese, if you know what I mean LAUGH OUT LOUD. In the event that you are unaware of what it is I am talking about when I say extra cheese, I am referring to the child slaves that you keep chained in the basement of your establishment of course. Thanks.
-Hillary

>pizzagate in this thread

ENOUGH!

STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT!

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
I saw an upper-class degenerate couple (masculine woman) having a divorce party. I heard an upper-class degenerate couple (feminine man) singing a Christmas song about Jesus in a modern pop style.

it's a hard rains a gonna fall
Is this really all you guys do here now
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham
Is this really all you guys do here now

Quote by JustRooster
Good answer
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
>appropriating mental illness to masquerade the fact that I'm just not an interesting or thoughtful person