Hey everyone!

Bet, you’ve noticed that we have a new layout for news and lessons (reviews next), and with a new layout, we want to get user generated content back. We have some guest articles to share tips and tricks, however, I think that not only bloggers have something to write about.

Our Forum is a gold mine and there are tons of helpful and useful information. Let’s make it accessible from our news or lessons sections =)

The idea is to have a rubric something like ”Golden advice by UG Community”, where you (mean niche forums) can publish your Top tips/guitars/amps/techniques/etc.

The idea is to have a thread, where we can decide:
1. what to write about;
2. discuss if certain advice is useful and helpful.

Finally, we come up with a text to feature on UG (and Facebook) and, ideally, it will be forum users generated article.

Let us know what do you think about it!
I occasionally repost some of the ways I know to combat "guitarist's block":

Quote by dannyalcatraz

While it is always a good idea in structured practice sessions to do certain exercises like arpeggios and picking pattern variations, you don't need to do ALL of them EVERY session or in the same order every time. Pick and choose. Throw yourself curveballs by randomizing them: put your exercises on a sheet and roll dice; put them on flash cards and draw them out of a bag.

But then go about trying new stuff. ANYTHING new will be a challenge to your mind and skills, even if only briefly.

Try new musical genres. I don't particularly dig country, but I did learn a couple of tunes by Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash...and grew to like playing them.

Try new tunings. I currently play in Standard and NST, but I'm considering DADGAD, and will probably try Open G if I try to learn slide. This also works if you try to relearn songs you already know in those other tunings.

Try learning a song back to front...or even turn your sheet music upside down. Pianist/comedian extraordinaire Victor Borge used to do the upside down thing in his act. He'd play for a while, then- "realizing his error"- would apologize, flip the music to the correct orientation, and start playing correctly.

Try playing songs in different time signatures. By that, I mean try playing a song you know in an unfamiliar beat. I know a jazz pianist who can play the song "Take Five" in its original 5/4, but also in 3/4, 4/4, 6/4 and 7/4. Each variant completely changes the feel of the tune.

Try mimicking song parts written for other instruments or even for singers. One of Prince's touring guitarists was struggling with learning to play a piece in a way that made his boss happy. Prince told him to learn to play the part as if it were being sung by Billie Holiday.

Take a break. Advice usually given to writers, painters, and other creative types, this works for guitarists, too. Sometimes, you just need to recharge your batteries. When you come back to the process, you may find you have a different perspective, a fresh view, and you'll make progress again. So, go for a walk, see a movie, read a book, go camping. Just forget the guitar for a bit, and come back to it.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Glad to help!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
dannyalcatraz Sorry for long responce, your article was very helpful , as well as the most tips articles got a rather good feedback, so if you have any new ideas about articles, that can give a good guide to frequent questions, you can propose them here.
After my long guitar hiatus, I've only made two posts here, and they're related to Troy Grady's pick slanting lessons and his Cracking the Code documentary that I very recently discovered. And I feel like a whore for my making my third post about this again. He recently released good video explaining pick slanting that doesn't require you to watch his long documentary (which contains a lot of fluff).

The concepts he explains seem so fundamental, yet are so rarely talked about. I feel like a lesson about pick slanting should be mandatory for all guitar players. I know the Cracking the Code documentary has made a few rounds around here when it first came out after a quick google search, so hopefully you've heard of it before. I'm not a great writer myself, but I definitely think something about it should be included.
Hi i am a new user active in Guitar Techniques. I think this is a great idea that will help combat all the 'loss-of-motivation pls help' posts. this is a great idea. i love it.
"ba doo doo ba doo doo ba doo daa"
- earth,wind, and fire