Hey everyone!

Bet, you’ve noticed that we have a new layout for news and lessons (reviews next), and with a new layout, we want to get user generated content back. We have some guest articles to share tips and tricks, however, I think that not only bloggers have something to write about.

Our Forum is a gold mine and there are tons of helpful and useful information. Let’s make it accessible from our news or lessons sections =)

The idea is to have a rubric something like ”Golden advice by UG Community”, where you (mean niche forums) can publish your Top tips/amps/etc.

The idea is to have a thread, where we can: 
1. decide what to write about;
2. discuss if certain advice is useful and helpful.

Finally, we come up with a text to feature on UG (and Facebook) and, ideally, it will be forum users generated article.

Let us know what do you think about it!
1. Have issues with your amp cutting out? Before you do anything drastic like replace tubes or take it to a tech, try a different a patch cord first! If that doesn't work, try some contact cleaner in any of the inputs that you are using.

2. Having issues with your preamps tubes? If you need to isolate which one is causing an issue, try tapping them gently with the back of a pencil. If the tube rings out and makes quite a bit of noise after the initial tap, you may have a microphonic tube.

3. Pedal placement will effect how some of your pedals work. If you feel like a pedal isn't quite sounding the way you want it, try experimenting with different positions in the chain.

4. Speaker and cabinet construction affects the sound more than something like swapping tubes. If you're not satisfied with how your amp sounds, try it with different speaker and cab combos so you can figure out what works better for you.

5. Be weary of marketing hype and RESEARCH before you buy. Sometimes, that really cool and expensive pedal that you're dying to own is nothing but a TS-9 in a fancy case with a bigger price tag. Don't get suckered in.

6. Have fun and use your ears. At the end of the day, you're buying gear so that you can produce sounds you want to hear. Not impress a few people on a forum so buy gear that you think will work for you.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I think the best piece of advice I can give is:

With a tube amp (if it's a head)

Always make sure it is connected to the cabinet with a SPEAKER cable and that it matches the ohmage.

Could blow an Output transformer that way.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
NO PEDAL no matter how good it is can turn a crap amp into a fantastic tone machine. one of the worst misconceptions of pedals is that they are magic.

Sorry but your starter pack practice amp will never sound like (fill in guitar hero tone here). another tough thing to get across to new players. yes we all want to get great tones but there is a reason that bands don't use super cheap little amps for that great tone. great tones often come from great gear that is far more expensive than many of us can afford. can you get reasonably close without spending a fortune sure but there are limitations for that. that $99 amp just isn't going to get you there. doesn't mean you can't find a tone that works for the song just don't expect any more than that.
The best one I can think of ATM (as some of the regulars know, I've been going through some personal/job related issues in the last week), is the one about powering your pedals.
Link is in my sig.

Udjine
Your name sounds like you got the idea from The Secret Of Mana game.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Dec 21, 2016,
Quote by CodeMonk

Udjine
Your name sounds like you got the idea from The Secret Of Mana game.

Interesting hypothesis, but actually no.
Hi, we released the first article, dedicated to users' tips https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/the_guide_to/truss_rod_tips_from_t00deepblue.html
Article can be found in "The Guide to" categorie of Lessons.
These tips was taken from Electric guitar forum. H4T3BR33D3R, Fisheth24, monwobobbo, thanks for quick reply, your tips are taken into consideration, and we will make an article as soon as we can combine them thematically.
Let me know, what do you think about the format of article or tell if have any ideas about it.
Don't forget replacing tuners won't solve all tuning issues. More often it's the nut binding or bad strings.
Take an extra bit of string, use it to file the slot a hair, then use a basic pencil and rub the lead in the slot. Should fix most issues with tuning other than unstable trems. And is cheaper than replacing the tuners!

And a big one for me
If you are happy with your sound/guitar/gear, then who gives a rat's backside what others think. Don't let people's opinions tear you down! If you are happy you will enjoy playing more. Letting other people's opinions influence yours can send you down a black hole of acquiring more gear you may not like and kill your wallet in the process.
Quote by Liaztraht
Don't forget replacing tuners won't solve all tuning issues. More often it's the nut binding or bad strings.
Take an extra bit of string, use it to file the slot a hair, then use a basic pencil and rub the lead in the slot. Should fix most issues with tuning other than unstable trems. And is cheaper than replacing the tuners!

And a big one for me
If you are happy with your sound/guitar/gear, then who gives a rat's backside what others think. Don't let people's opinions tear you down! If you are happy you will enjoy playing more. Letting other people's opinions influence yours can send you down a black hole of acquiring more gear you may not like and kill your wallet in the process.

your second point is a good one but I'm not sure how that would translate into an article. besides if it weren't for GAS we wouldn't need this section of the board
Quote by monwobobbo
your second point is a good one but I'm not sure how that would translate into an article. besides if it weren't for GAS we wouldn't need this section of the board
well that is true

If you're like me and can't afford much, then GAS is dangerous. I mean you gotta eat and have a place to keep gear. But you also gotta have the gear!

I am partial to my first one though. I only replaced tuners that broke. Both times on the same guitar that was knocked of its stand twice!
I would like to see a tuning stability article. You can cram a lot in there and even experts need refreshers.
Quote by Liaztraht
well that is true

If you're like me and can't afford much, then GAS is dangerous. I mean you gotta eat and have a place to keep gear. But you also gotta have the gear!

I am partial to my first one though. I only replaced tuners that broke. Both times on the same guitar that was knocked of its stand twice!
I would like to see a tuning stability article. You can cram a lot in there and even experts need refreshers.

well I've been at this a fair bit longer . I've been thru a lot of gear over the years and have had plenty of time to actually understand what works for me. not much GAS these days. sure there are things I'd like to have but that's always the case. hmmmm.... eating....gear, well that's why god invented ramen noodles .

your point on tuners is a good one and I'm sure there will be an article about tuning stability as that is obviously important.
Quote by monwobobbo
your point on tuners is a good one and I'm sure there will be an article about tuning stability as that is obviously important.

Yeah, good idea, but the main problem is to collect sufficient number of tips on some theme.
P.S. Liaztraht, monwobobbo According to your messages, it'll be a rather good idea to make an article about GAS
Quote by Udjine

P.S. Liaztraht, monwobobbo According to your messages, it'll be a rather good idea to make an article about GAS
or maybe a gasaholics anonymous group to help fight the urges
Quote by Liaztraht
or maybe a gasaholics anonymous group to help fight the urges

No one would ever show up.
After all, who would there be to test the latest XYZ SyuperDuper Condom Free Overdrive.
Quote by CodeMonk
After all, who would there be to test the latest XYZ SyuperDuper Condom Free Overdrive.
oh man. I gotta try that one. The name alone screams high class boutique!
Quote by CodeMonk

hey I only test responsible overdrives. don't want any mini overdrives that are unexpected.
Quote by Liaztraht
oh man. I gotta try that one. The name alone screams high class boutique!

Yeah, but it'll result in a swollen pickle

Maybe an article on cutting your own nut, or nut replacement. Went thru hell last week filing a prefab nut to fit in one of my guitars.
Quote by diabolical
Yeah, but it'll result in a swollen pickle

Maybe an article on cutting your own nut, or nut replacement. Went thru hell last week filing a prefab nut to fit in one of my guitars.

Wouldn't mind an sp!

And yes, nut cutting! I can do basic slot widening, but I'm afraid to cut or heavily modify one myself. A good artical could help with that.
I bought two nuts just in case I mess up but it worked out after 4 hrs of filing. It is one of those things, the more you do it, the better you get, but you would have to rarely work on it, so that's why people usually take them to luthiers.
The "luthiers" around here aren't great. Last time I replaced a nut myself, I bought a pre slotted one. Could have been better cut and filed, but that was after a local guy replaced it first, wouldn't have had to do it myself if he did it right the first time
No matter how many demos you watch or how much time you get to noodle with it in the store, you won't know how your newly purchased pedal works with your gear until you get it home and actually use it with your gear.

So I try to play with each pedal individually for a while after I get it, just to see how it does with my amp and guitars before trying to incorporate it into a pedal chain.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Honestly I'd like an article showing just how little a difference it makes changing tubes etc... compared to how much changing a speaker makes and how important speakers are to your overall sound. Another cool article would probably be something that showed off pedal order etc... since that gets asked about a lot. Also maybe something about micing up your amps cause a ton of people aren't really great at mic positions or dont know where to start.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I agree about the mic techniques - the recording forum needs one of these threads stickied I think. Things like the importance of an audio interface [as opposed to a guitar direct to a computer mic/line in] and the difference in line level/hi-z/mic level inputs are things that are worth putting up imo.

If I have the time I might make a thing on recording techniques for acoustic guitars too.
RIP Gooze

cats