Hello world and all who inhabit it, I had no idea what where to post this so this was where I thought suited it best. I'm not much of a pedal guru, but I sure would like to be. Anyway I have a way huge swollen pickle (I mean the pedal) and don't really think its getting me towards the sound I want, so I've been looking into fuzzfaces. I came across the band of Gypsys one and thought it might be a good contender cuz I love hendrixs tone on that album. Anyway here's a few questions for those of you with more knowledge
Does it clean up well with the volume knob? And is the tone usable for Hendrix/srv/mayer rhythm?
Given its not an actual fuzzface circuit (octavia without the octave up) How does it compare to other fuzzfaces in your experience, and would you recommend one more than the others?
Do you think it actually gets you close to the tone on band of Gypsy's? Is it more versatile than just that?

Thanks for cooperating with my ignorance.
Pink squier bullet strat (tonerider classic blues pickups and warmoth neck)
Vox V847 wah
DigiTech Bad Monkey
Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Boss Ce-5
Kustom dual 35 dfx
I own one

1. It cleans up decent enough but the rolloff is very dark. A regular germanium FF would roll off better with buckers IMO. You can get Hendrix tones out of it if youre pushing the front of a hot amp with it. As a standalone pedal its not instant Hendrix (just like any of the other Hendrix pedal)

2. Its a little cleaner and smoother than a regular FF until you max it out. Then you get into farty speaker sounds.

3. It would depend on the rest of your rig and your playing. If youre savvy you can approximate similar tones.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Dec 20, 2016,
as mentioned it's not really a plug in and "instant Hendrix" pedal. a huge part of the Hendrix tone is about the volume he played at and that is hard to duplicate (believe me I've been trying). I run my amps with the preamp up just enough to get a little bit of distortion on my clean tone to try and get his basic amp tone. fuzzface woks pretty well but you do have to learn to really work the volume control on your guitar. live Hendrix often just turned the fuzz off for rhythm playing (unless he needed more distortion than his amp alone provided). so just roling back the volume may not work.

one more thing. Jimi used his Octavia, Univibe and of course Wah as well with BOGs so just a fuzz alone won't get you that tone
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I own one

1. It cleans up decent enough but the rolloff is very dark. A regular germanium FF would roll off better with buckers IMO. You can get Hendrix tones out of it if youre pushing the front of a hot amp with it. As a standalone pedal its not instant Hendrix (just like any of the other Hendrix pedal)

2. Its a little cleaner and smoother than a regular FF until you max it out. Then you get into farty speaker sounds.

3. It would depend on the rest of your rig and your playing. If youre savvy you can approximate similar tones.

So, if I have a bad monkey od after it would that work to ballpark the hot amp part of the tone? I'm not looking to replicate it exactly, just something similar. Thanks for the knowledge!
Vox V847 wah
DigiTech Bad Monkey
Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Boss Ce-5
Kustom dual 35 dfx
Quote by monwobobbo
as mentioned it's not really a plug in and "instant Hendrix" pedal. a huge part of the Hendrix tone is about the volume he played at and that is hard to duplicate (believe me I've been trying). I run my amps with the preamp up just enough to get a little bit of distortion on my clean tone to try and get his basic amp tone. fuzzface woks pretty well but you do have to learn to really work the volume control on your guitar. live Hendrix often just turned the fuzz off for rhythm playing (unless he needed more distortion than his amp alone provided). so just roling back the volume may not work.

one more thing. Jimi used his Octavia, Univibe and of course Wah as well with BOGs so just a fuzz alone won't get you that tone
Thanks for responding, I think I'm gonna buy it and see how I like it. I'm definitely looking into getting a univibe, or at least some vibe pedal next.
Vox V847 wah
DigiTech Bad Monkey
Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Boss Ce-5
Kustom dual 35 dfx
Quote by cj_leee
So, if I have a bad monkey od after it would that work to ballpark the hot amp part of the tone? I'm not looking to replicate it exactly, just something similar. Thanks for the knowledge!

You could always try it out and hear how it sounds. It might work.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
what amp are you using? you don't really need a lot of distortion just some around the edges so to speak.
Thread was moved to forum: Guitar Gear & Accessories
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by monwobobbo
what amp are you using? you don't really need a lot of distortion just some around the edges so to speak.
I just have a kustom dual 35. Its a solid state so its obviously not gonna be authentic but the lead channel has decent enough distortion on the USA setting
Vox V847 wah
DigiTech Bad Monkey
Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Boss Ce-5
Kustom dual 35 dfx
cj_leee

ok well you shouldn't need an overdrive then. jut put a little hair on the clean sound and use the fuzzface that should work reasonably well (at least it does for me)
Quote by monwobobbo
cj_leee

ok well you shouldn't need an overdrive then. jut put a little hair on the clean sound and use the fuzzface that should work reasonably well (at least it does for me)

Word! Thanks for replying, let's hope Santa brings me a fuzzface tomorrow. Or I'll go get one myself
Vox V847 wah
DigiTech Bad Monkey
Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Boss Ce-5
Kustom dual 35 dfx