So a few weeks ago i got my first guitar with splittable pickups. I didnt really think much of it, since in 10 years, i never actually owned a guitar with single coils, but after i tried it out on some clean settings, i was blown away. So now im in love with single coil sound i guess.

Of course im not content with just using the split buckers, especially since their hi gain sound leaves a lot to be desired, and im gonna switch them anyway, im looking for a guitar with single coils, probably some sort of strat or tele. Im kinda leaning more towards a telecaster, because i like the twang that they give of when you dig in. One of my friends also owns a squier tele that plays amazingly, but i have no idea what model it is, just no the cheap ones. Something like "classic tribute" or whatever.

So, any ideas what should i go for? Is Fender the go to brand for stuff like this? What about G&L? Stores around here dont really hold much in different guitars, so i cant really try out as many as i would like. I would use the guitar mainly for cleans and some light overdrive and fuzz, maybe some Jimmy Hendrix type playing, but not for hi gain. Ive got plenty for that already.

My budget is around 500€, but its obviously flexible if there is a good enough reason to upgrade. And switching pickups is not a big deal, so id rather go for a solid guitar with shitty pickups that i can switch, than for some type of compromise or whatever. The guitars i currently own and love are an ec-401, an ibanez sz-320 and an Epi Thunderhorse, so obviously im not a fan of chuncky necks, but they dont have to be wizard-type thin. The one on my friends tele was actually pretty spot on.

So, fire away with your suggestions!
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
G&L makes good stuff, no question.

But if you tell us more about what kind of music you want to play, we can help more. As it stands, you've given out just enough info to be flooded with suggestions of all kinds of brands & models.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Right, i thought i was clear enough, sorry. Well, i play metal mostly, so i want something that will do everything else. I want a guitar that will have nice cleans, so i can play popish and jazzy type songs on it. Basicly for noodling around with other stuff than metal. It would mainly be used for jamming with other people, so it would be nice if it can go from jazzy cleans to like hendrix or led zep type distortion nicely, but not harder than that. I also recently got a bit into latin music, so if it can do something like this, it would be nice:

But yeah, i dunno how to be clearer than that, since i dont have anything very very specific in mind.

Basicly i want some sort of all round jazz/blues type guitar, that doesnt have to do heavy tones. If that makes any sense.
Last edited by gorkyporky at Dec 20, 2016,
Can you play a MIM Fender Strat and then figure out if that will work or what you want to change? Use the MIM as a baseline if you will.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
metalmingee
This is a great option. MIM strats are insane value.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
What kind of budget?

Where are you? (Affects product availability & price?)

Do you have an amp that can produce those kinds of cleans?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Oh, just thought I would add one more thing. If you can find a guitar with P-90s, I think you should go for it. They are the best single coils on the planet.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
What kind of budget?

Where are you? (Affects product availability & price?)

Do you have an amp that can produce those kinds of cleans?

Like i said, my budget is around 500€, but its flexible if i find something i really like. I am from Slovenia, so thomann is the best option for me besides used. For amps i have a JCA50 (kinda sucks for cleans) and an engl powerball, and i really like the clean channel on that one. And i also use a lot of software sims.
Missed the 500€ in the first post.

The Strat singlecoil may be the archetypal sound you want. The Telecaster might be a close second. The P90 is a killer pickup, and sounds like a beefier Strat pickup (almost like it was overdriven) or a different flavor of HB.

Another, rarer singlecoil is the Charlie Christian. It, too, is beefier than a Strat, but warmer. It isn't as powerful as a P90. They don't show up in many production guitarsthese days, though.

Fender is the go-to name in Strats & Teles, of course. But there are other options. I looked on one of Thomann's sites and found good options from G&L and Fret-King, for instance.

https://www.thomann.de/cz/search_dir.html?bf=&sw=G%26L
https://www.thomann.de/cz/search.html?sw=Fret-king&filter=true&price-first=100&price-last=800

The have some Dean Zelinsky Private Label guitars, but only a few. You might do better ordering directly from their site.

https://www.thomann.de/cz/dean_zelinsky_private_label.html?ref=search_prv_13

Of those brands, Fret-King has the most models with unusual pickup selections, including P90s, though G&L Z-coils are another P90-like pickup.