After years of hating the idea of using a tubescreamer in front of an amp to get that ultimate metal tone I'm now considering it....
I've been thinking possibly getting a Blackstar ht-distx but now wondering if it will do the same job as a traditional ts9/maxon 808/sd-1 etc?
Any thoughts based on experience?
Some distortion pedals can function as overdrive pedals, but get an overdrive if that's what you're going to be using it for.

I'd also skip the TS9/Maxon thing and get one with additional EQ controls for added versatility. Seymour Duncan 805, MXR Badass Modified OD, Way Huge Green Rhino etc. They're similarly priced and the GR is not much more expensive than your average Ibanez TS9.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
I have to admit that the Green Rhino looks pretty sexy from the other New Pedal Day post. . . .
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Some distortion pedals can function as overdrive pedals, but get an overdrive if that's what you're going to be using it for.

I'd also skip the TS9/Maxon thing and get one with additional EQ controls for added versatility. Seymour Duncan 805, MXR Badass Modified OD, Way Huge Green Rhino etc. They're similarly priced and the GR is not much more expensive than your average Ibanez TS9.

true but you can also get clones which are quite a bit cheaper...

i mean a lot of it is personal preference but i usually find i dial the thing in to sound like a classic tubescreamer when i have more options though a bit more level boost on tap can be useful.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think that particular Blackstar product is a distortion pedal so I don't think it will work too well as an overdrive. The HT-Dual if not mistaken had an overdrive and distortion, like the Jekkyll & Hyde.

As far as cheap TS clones go, I like the BBE green overdrive if one could still be found. I think now they've repackaged it as the Gus G. which is still pretty good price last time I checked (around $50-$60).
^ i know i keep banging on about this but just in case he's not in the USA, the BBEs are actually pretty expensive in Europe But there definitely are cheaper options than a "real" tubescreamer in most places.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks. IIRC they're pushing £100 here and at that kind of money there are lots of options, including the Ibanez and Maxon versions, and also probably some more boutique TS pedals as well. I know I always say that boutique (for pedals at least) isn't necessarily better, but that doesn't mean I'd pay boutique prices for cheaper mass-produced stuff either
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I bought the BBE Green Screamer right when they came out. I had it before it was anywhere. $40 brand new on ebay. lol. then the big guys got yhem and the price went up. to a whopping $60 usd.

I think I own two atm, but for a cheap TS that is extremely reliable and solid is EXTREMELY hard to beat.

way better than the bad monkey IMO.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The Blackstar could definitely be used as a boost with the drive off, but it's an incredibly expensive unit for just a boost. Although with 3 tone controls it may work even better than a TS style pedal.

I used to use a Boss DS1 as a boost and didn't notice it being much different than a Tubescreamer. Distortion off, volume maxed, and tone to taste.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I bought the BBE Green Screamer right when they came out. I had it before it was anywhere. $40 brand new on ebay. lol. then the big guys got yhem and the price went up. to a whopping $60 usd.

I think I own two atm, but for a cheap TS that is extremely reliable and solid is EXTREMELY hard to beat.

way better than the bad monkey IMO.

yeah here the gus g is £95 (think it's the same, isn't it? according to diabolical it is). I think one of the big problems is that there are so few dealers here, and the dealers (or the distributor) who do stock them try to pretend they're boutique by just cranking up the price.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah here the gus g is £95 (think it's the same, isn't it? according to diabolical it is). I think one of the big problems is that there are so few dealers here, and the dealers (or the distributor) who do stock them try to pretend they're boutique by just cranking up the price.

That does suck.

and it doesn't surprise me that the dealers try to do that.

How much does a ts9 or Maxon od808 go in the Europe?

Isn't Xotic cheaper over by you guys though ?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
nah xotic is expensive here too, the ac boost is like £200.

a maxon od9 was £95... the price seems to have gone up about £10 now, but some places still have them for £95. Hence my comments about the BBE...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?