I am considering stoking up the old guitar flame. I have heard about Eliasson and Mitchell electric guitars(the latter being an in-house brand at GC and Its subsidiarries). Does anyone out here have any knowledge of either of these? I have played a few notes on the Mitchell 400 series, the TD, MD, and MS, and they all sounded good. I have seen the YouTube videos on the Eliasson line.

Eliasson makes both a custom line, all priced over $1000, and a limited, mass-produced(Asian) line priced in the mid-$200 range. Mitchell's are all Asian-made, and are in the $200-400 range. MItchell has about 4 different body/pickup models(I am only considering their 400 series(they make lower-priced 100, 200, and 300series also). As I am just starting out again, I would be interested in the $200-400 price range for the guitar I would purchase.

Also, tremolo vs non-tremolo. What are the pluses and minuses?

Thajks in advance for your very educated thoughts, advice, and opinions.
Last edited by pwrfdr at Dec 20, 2016,
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=tremolo+vs+non-tremolo

Mitchell Guitars are still very new. But they offer a lot of features for an inexpensive guitar, seems like there is potential but I've never played them.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '95 Fender MIM Strat
Helix Rack, Jetcity JCA50H w/ JCA24s+
Last edited by DirtFarmer at Dec 20, 2016,
Welcome to the forum.

Re tremelos. If is it a standard strat-type trem, it doesn't matter one way or the other, because they are easy to block if you don't want to use it. Even though I don't use a trem, I would get a trem model anyway, all else being equal, because it would be easier to sell. However, I wouldn't get a modern floating trem unless I could see a specific use for it in the genres I play. - They can be blocked, but IMO they look fugly.
I'm thinking of things like a Floyd Rose or Bigsby, where the trem is designed to be moved up or down, compared to a traditional strat trem that can, and often is, adjusted so that it can only be moved downwards. This kind of adjustment is known as "decking", and it might need firm pressure to get the trem moving. The advantage of a non-floating trem or hardtail compared to a flaoting trem is that they are relatively easy to tune and restring.
Quote by pwrfdr
Can you please define 'floating term'?

Floating refers to how the bridge operates, in this case the bridge plate floats on its leading edge set to posts and balanced by string vs spring tension, Thus floating right in the middle allowing for up and down pitch changes , Think of it this way, set a coin on end then pull it one way with a spring and the other with a string, the table being the post and the edge of the coin the leading edge, Actually a very simple concept, Others like the Bigsby being a roller bridge are very simple, basically the string retainer in the bridge rolls back and forth allowing the string tension to increase or decrease, in which case drags them through the saddles and before you know it you break a string, Others like the Kahler are a cam ordeal of sorts, I've messed with a few but refuse to own one, Others like the Stetsbar work on liner mechanics and I do have one of those, although take a bit of maintenance to keep working correctly,
Do you need one? No absolutely not, In fact most likely just piss you off at some point, So unless you really really want one then just stick with a tried and true Hard Tail, As to the Mitchell brand? Hey me or you could contact a dozen or so Asian manufactures and have our name put on 50,000 guitars provided we had the money and the designs, What do you think the major brand names do? Sorry to be the one to tell you this but very few manufactures build they're own guitars today, We like to call that outsourcing.
For a $400 guitar, the TD400 and MD400's are really nice. Mitchell's stuff below that doesn't stand out to me, but they don't come off as crap either. I mean, the MD400 has a neck-through design, which isn't that common for that price point. Agile might have something, but typically, that's one feature you don't see until you get up in price. I'm certainly waiting to see how they fair and if they'll get a 7/8/ERG out the door.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
pwrfdr

Extended range guitar = 7, 8, 9, 10 string guitars and or 6 strings with longer scale length
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Dec 21, 2016,