I've got an ESP LTD M-10, which I've had for about 6 months. A cheap $200 or less guitar, but I love the feel of it and can play it better than I have any other guitar in the past. I don't like the tone though, so I'm replacing the pickups. While I have the strings off to replace the pickups, I'm debating replacing the strings (they're the originals). A little hesitant though because I don't know how much of what I love about the playability is related to the strings. Is it a good idea to throw new strings on, since the old ones are off anyway, or does it have so little difference that I should just stick with what I have since I like them? If I should replace, do strings affect playability? If they do, I'd like to find something similar to the originals, but have no idea what those would be.

Could people recommend some strings that they would recommend which are good and would feel like the originals (or better)? Or alternatively should I just use the originals?

Note: I mainly play hard rock and classic metal in standard or drop d tuning. Oh...and I suck, so playability is very important to me.

Thanks
You should replace strings regularly and depending on your environment and playing habits, anywhere from 1-3 months is a good timetable.
Strings should be replaced for best results because they wear out and it's a basic part of guitar maintenance.

Now, depending on what tunings you use, heavier gauges might be used. Usually, the guitars are given strings assuming a 25.5" or 24.75" scale and would run either a 9-42 or 10-46 gauge set. I'd look at Ernie Ball or D'Addario strings for ease of availability and cost. I personally find a 10-46 gauge set is good up to Drop C tunings. After that, 11-56 or so sets do well for Drop B, IMO.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
You've got to change the strings eventually so I would do it at the pickup change. I would try a search for strings in the technical specs for the guitar. String gauge will affect feel, but since you are changing the pickups anyway, type of string won't be relevant. Most of us settle on a gauge and type of string by trial and error. For example, I like the bright, aggressive sound of Ernie Ball Cobalts but it is a personal thing.
Interesting. So it's a 25.5" scale and I play standard or drop d tuning. So does that mean I'm best off with a 9-42 guage set?
Very cool! Thanks. Out of curiosity, would you or anyone know what most likely would have come on the guitar? Is there a common stock string gauge?
As I stated before, 9-42 or 10-46 is pretty common with stock gauges for 25.5" scale guitars. I didn't see anything on the ESP website for which gauges. Basic string sets run $5-6 at guitar center, so they're not that expensive.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz

Sorry. I didn't realize you were referring to stock strings in that statement. Thought you meant in the general sense. Okay, thanks for the help and thanks for taking the time to look at the ESP site. I was looking also and couldn't find.

Much appreciated.
I'd still check intonation if you haven't yet.

I check whenever I put on new strings and adjust accordingly.
Guitar/Bass:
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz