Now I know that changing the stock pickups with new ones bring out good results on a tube amp. Is the same true for a solid state amp? Is it wise to spend on new pickups when you only have a ss amp?
By the way I am having a Roland Cube 20GX and an Esp Ltd ec 256. I like the tone of the neck pick up but I was looking to get something better in the bridge maybe a DiMarzio D Activator X.
I mostly play rock and metal.
Not if you're playing through a Cube. Definitely upgrade to a good amp before messing with swapping pickups.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
If you get better pickups- as opposed to merely different- it should make a difference, even with a SS amp. However, on an inexpensive SS amp, those nuances will be harder to discern unless the newer pickups are markedly better.

Upgrading your amp- tube or SS- will make a MUCH more significant change to your tone.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The Cube is a decent low cost practice amp but it is unlikely you will find an amazing difference in tone with different PUs.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by cyruseternity
Now I know that changing the stock pickups with new ones bring out good results on a tube amp.

Changing the pickups will just change the sound. Not necessarily make it better. No guarantee of good results with ANY amp.
^ that too.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
If you get better pickups- as opposed to merely different- it should make a difference, even with a SS amp. However, on an inexpensive SS amp, those nuances will be harder to discern unless the newer pickups are markedly better.

Upgrading your amp- tube or SS- will make a MUCH more significant change to your tone.

bingo. they won't make no difference (assuming you change to genuinely better pickups, or at least pickups with very different specs), even if the amp is a modeller/beginner-pack amp, but they won't make as much of a difference as they will with a good tube amp, and they're (probably) not the biggest factor in your current bad tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
With all that being said, the pickups are indeed the smallest influence on your sound. You'll probably spend roughly 200 € on some decent pickups and will probably not even notice a difference with the Cube. It's not a matter of solid state vs tube, it's rather a matter of quality. Some people might start moaning now, but I'm genuinely a fan of the Vypyr series by Peavey. They're as good as solid state can get these times and sound very tubey (?). As suggested before, you should rather invest in a better amplifier. The improvement in sound will be much more noticable for the same budget. Since I already used this analogy somewhere else today and I'm in that kinda mood: Your pickups are basically the seasoning, while your amplifier and guitar are the main ingredients of your dish. If the main ingredients are crap, even the best seasoning can't help it. You get the idea?
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Quote by Dragonfyre137
It's not a matter of solid state vs tube, it's rather a matter of quality. Some people might start moaning now, but I'm genuinely a fan of the Vypyr series by Peavey. They're as good as solid state can get these times and sound very tubey (?).

I agree in general, but the bolded part simply isn't true. There are much better SS amps out there, like Quilters, as well as the higher-end Rolands & Randalls, just to name a few.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Remember that simply *changng* the pickups doesn't guarantee that you'll get better sound, no matter how much you pay for the pickups. It may actually be worse. Most folks talk themselves into believing that their sound has improved, of course, because who wants to admit that they've just paid $150-200 for a pair of pickups and made their guitar worse than it was.

You'll want to investigate different amps and pedals long before you get around to tweaking pickups.
Quote by dspellman
Remember that simply *changng* the pickups doesn't guarantee that you'll get better sound, no matter how much you pay for the pickups. It may actually be worse. Most folks talk themselves into believing that their sound has improved, of course, because who wants to admit that they've just paid $150-200 for a pair of pickups and made their guitar worse than it was.

You'll want to investigate different amps and pedals long before you get around to tweaking pickups.

very true. the other thing is that your amp has to be able to translate the often subtle differences in the pickups. if it can't then it doesn't matter. this so far has been one of the failings of lower end modeling.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I agree in general, but the bolded part simply isn't true. There are much better SS amps out there, like Quilters, as well as the higher-end Rolands & Randalls, just to name a few.
Well of course, but the Vypyrs are still rather low-budget amps. If we're comparing low-budget vs high-budget quality wise, we don't even have to continue the argument because we both know how it's gonna end. My point was that the quality of the Vypyrs is exceptionally high for that kind of money.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Can you take your Cube to a guitar shop and try guitars that have pretty common pickups like a Seymour Duncan JB and an EMG 81?

If you can tell a difference and like the result then swap the pickup on your guitar.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Pickups are the absolute last thing I worry about when it comes to shaping tone.

They're probably 5-10% of what shapes your tone, IMO (And I think 10% is being overly generous here). They can definitely wake up a guitar a little bit, but not nearly as much as a new amp or speaker swap will.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
I'm really only interested in clean tones and fairly bright, and I have found that pickups do make a substantial difference. From what little I have tried, i get the impression that the more OD/distortion/fuzz that you use, the less noticeable the effect of the pickups becomes. Is this typical?
^ I agree- once you do have that good amp, pickups can make a pretty big difference, especially if you're comparing different types (Fender-style single coil to Gibson-style humbucker, say) or vastly different specs (a vintage output pickup to a high output version of the same type of pickup, say, or one with a totally different frequency response/tone).

I always find myself picking up a guitar which has suitable pickups for the type of music I feel like playing, and I think that says a lot.

Granted- I also generally pick an amp which is also suitable.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ I agree- once you do have that good amp, pickups can make a pretty big difference, especially if you're comparing different types (Fender-style single coil to Gibson-style humbucker, say) or vastly different specs (a vintage output pickup to a high output version of the same type of pickup, say, or one with a totally different frequency response/tone).
I should probably clarify that I don't mean that pickups make next to no difference in one's sound - I just see a lot of threads on here asking about pickup swaps, when the OP has a small practice amp. In these situations, I think a new amp will do much more for the OP than new pickups will, is all .

I definitely hear a difference between say, a PAF humbucker, and a super high output monster of a humbucker (The PAF having a "spongier, sweeter" response to pick attack), but the difference may not be as audible on a small amp. Also, I'm biased here, but experience tells me not to recommend that most over-wound pickups available for folks looking for good metal tones as well .
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
I think about pickups like microphones, are different microphones going to sound the same plugged into the same pre amp, no matter how shitty it is? Yes they are. HOW different? Well, that depends on your Pre Amp.

Its the exact same thing.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Quote by FlightofIcarus
I should probably clarify that I don't mean that pickups make next to no difference in one's sound - I just see a lot of threads on here asking about pickup swaps, when the OP has a small practice amp. In these situations, I think a new amp will do much more for the OP than new pickups will, is all .

I definitely hear a difference between say, a PAF humbucker, and a super high output monster of a humbucker (The PAF having a "spongier, sweeter" response to pick attack), but the difference may not be as audible on a small amp. Also, I'm biased here, but experience tells me not to recommend that most over-wound pickups available for folks looking for good metal tones as well .

yeah agreed

just we need to be careful that in fighting against a bandwagon we don't start another anti-bandwagon (not saying you're doing this)

before you know instead of people looking at pickup swaps as a first port of call (and I agree that's a bad idea) you'll have people never even considering pickup swaps, even when that might be helpful.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?