My twin reverb is simply too much amp for my small place. I want the super champ x2. Should I buy a combo or will the head power with my twins speakers and not damage the head?

From what I understand the x2 head wants an 8 ohm load. I've read that the twin is setup at 2 ohm.. I'm not sure if this is correct. Seemed wrong to me. So asking the community.
Easiest solution would be to buy the SC2 combo. I think the speakers are special design which may not be a traditional Fender-voiced speaker, so using the Twin's speakers may not sound exactly as intended. You could run the SC2 head into the effects loop of the Twin if it has one. But yes if the SC2 head has an 8 ohm load, and your twin is at 2 ohm load, don't do that.
1. First off a 15W tube amp is still going to be very loud, first try using your volume know to see if that helps.

2. The head would power your speakers but you have to impedance match, from the fender site the twin comes with two 8 ohm speakers so I would expect it to be wired at 16 or 4 ohms, you will have to double check on your speakers to verify, but given that you could always connect your head to a single speaker in your combo (with minimal rewiring) and that would work, and probably give you better sound than the smaller SCx2 combo.

3. You CANNOT run your champ head into the FX loop on your Twin, you will cook both amps. The SCx2 has a tube output section which means it needs to see a resistive load i.e. a speaker, or it will burn out the output transformer. At the same time the FX return on your Twin is expecting a line level signal, it if sees the power signal from the SC its going to overload the circuits and burn out your amp. Do not do this unless you hate both of the amps and want to destroy them.
Quote by guitarsngear
1. First off a 15W tube amp is still going to be very loud, first try using your volume know to see if that helps.

2. The head would power your speakers but you have to impedance match, from the fender site the twin comes with two 8 ohm speakers so I would expect it to be wired at 16 or 4 ohms, you will have to double check on your speakers to verify, but given that you could always connect your head to a single speaker in your combo (with minimal rewiring) and that would work, and probably give you better sound than the smaller SCx2 combo.

3. You CANNOT run your champ head into the FX loop on your Twin, you will cook both amps. The SCx2 has a tube output section which means it needs to see a resistive load i.e. a speaker, or it will burn out the output transformer. At the same time the FX return on your Twin is expecting a line level signal, it if sees the power signal from the SC its going to overload the circuits and burn out your amp. Do not do this unless you hate both of the amps and want to destroy them.
Apologies, meant to say using the effects send of the SC2 if it has one into the return of the Twin. It would mute the internal speaker of the SC2 while still having a proper load. I don't think the either amps have an effects loop anyway.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 22, 2016,