Hello fellow guitar-heads,

3 years ago, I’ve bought myself my very first guitar. It is a Fender CD-60 SB. I chose that guitar for the simple fact that it was cheap and that it had some good reviews. When bought, I had played it every day for 2 months. After that period i lost my motivation and put the guitar in a corner to collect dust. Until recently it stayed in that exact same corner.
About 6 months ago I decided to start playing again. I’ve been playing every day since I picked it up again, and I love it. Only, I think it is time for an upgrade to a Solid Top guitar.

Today I found a guitar that could be interesting. It is a guitar that is for sale on a website that sells the stuff of companies that went bankrupt. It is a "Richwood Grand Auditorium master build (limited edition)" and the bidding starts at €140,-. Except the fact that it says it is a Richwood grand auditorium and it has a solid top, it gives no extra information about the guitar itself (model, woods used etc.), only that it has a solid top. One other problem is that I can't try it before I buy it.

I will include some pictures, so that maybe one of you guys could identify the exact model it is, so i can possibly search the web for its original selling price and some reviews.

I'm willing to take the gamble that it could possibly need to be set-up professionally, i know a shop near me that will take a look at every single aspect of the guitar and replace anything necessary.
If any of you guys could advise me a little bit (worth it or not), that would be awesome!

Many Thanks in advance!

Sorry for my bad English, I have Dyslexia and English is not my first language.
Ps. I'm a student, so my budget is restricted.
Attachments:
Richwood.pdf
Last edited by mathijsrie at Dec 21, 2016,
Welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't get beguiled too much by the solid top - a good laminated top is better than a bad solid one. I wouldn't upgrade just for the sake of it if you're happy with what you have. I played cheap laminated top guitars for about 12 years before I bought a solid top model, and then I invested in a well-known make.

Have you had your Fender set up properly? - That might be a better investment if you haven't.
Quote by Tony Done
. . . I played cheap laminated top guitars for about 12 years before I bought a solid top model, . ..

Although I own several solid tops, my most-played guitar is a cheap all laminate one. Go figure
same for me. epiphone aj100...i need no other ( i just need to add a pick up soon )
Quote by mathijsrie
Hello fellow guitar-heads,

3 years ago, I’ve bought myself my very first guitar. It is a Fender CD-60 SB. I chose that guitar for the simple fact that it was cheap and that it had some good reviews. When bought, I had played it every day for 2 months. After that period i lost my motivation and put the guitar in a corner to collect dust. Until recently it stayed in that exact same corner.
About 6 months ago I decided to start playing again. I’ve been playing every day since I picked it up again, and I love it. Only, I think it is time for an upgrade to a Solid Top guitar.

Today I found a guitar that could be interesting. It is a guitar that is for sale on a website that sells the stuff of companies that went bankrupt. It is a "Richwood Grand Auditorium master build (limited edition)" and the bidding starts at €140,-. Except the fact that it says it is a Richwood grand auditorium and it has a solid top, it gives no extra information about the guitar itself (model, woods used etc.), only that it has a solid top. One other problem is that I can't try it before I buy it.
Well, I think you'll find you probably won't get away with shoving a guitar with a solid top in the corner quite as easily as you would with an all laminated model. Low end all laminated acoustics are sometimes referred to as, "campfire guitars", which is a nod to their ruggedness and endurance.

I have an Ibanez AEL10 (It's what Taylor would cal a "Grand Auditorium" size. It sound great when it's first strung, (it likes "80/20 bright brass strings),, but loses its chime rather rapidly as compared to my solid top axes. That said, I'm a 12 string freak so I like lots of chime, and I have old ears as well. So, "your results may vary".

What this seller is calling, "a bankruptcy lot", may or may not be the truth. I've never heard of the brand, so it may be a cheapy OEM lot , built for a now defunct chain of music stores. So,"bankruptcy sale", might well be a half truth, at best.

It could also be built to sell for what the opening bid is named.

Don't mind me, I vigorously distrust online auction sites, and won't go near Ebay, with your ten foot pole. The end.

In any case, "budget consideration" is a shared problem nowadays. With that being said, I would wait to bump your guitar up until the total budget approaches maybe $500.00, guitar, case, setup, (if needed), and an extra set of strings or two.

Anyway, I'll only buy from one of our "big three" online sellers, "Musician's Friend, Sweetwater, or possibly, "zZounds". Their prices are all comparable, and their return pliicies are excellent. My personal favorite is Musician's Friend.

IMHO, a good idea is to buy with electronics. Others may and do, feel differently.

To turn this into a "buyer's affirmation shit post", I'll recommend the Epiphone EJ-200-SCE. It's huge, and may not be for everyone. It's stereo, so there are a lot of effects you can accomplish wiring out to two different amps.

Among the other most often recommended, (and rightly so),mid priced models, are the Seagull "Original S-6", the Yamaha, "FG or FGX- 800, some Recording King, and or Sigma models.

Quote by mathijsrie
Sorry for my bad English, I have Dyslexia and English is not my first language.
Ps. I'm a student, so my budget is restricted.
I apologize for not including link to the guitars I mentioned. If indeed, "English is your second language", my links would be all but useless anyway. If you're in Europe, "Dawson's" might be a good place to window shop.
First of all, I want to thank all of you for reacting/advising!

The reason why I’m considering a new guitar is the fact that the guitar I have right now, it's sound doesn’t strike me. A friend of mine has a solid top acoustic, and whenever I get the chance to jam together, I play with his guitar more than I play with my own haha. It sounds a hell allot deeper and it also has way more sustain than mine. And that guitar was also what u could call a "Budget" guitar since it only cost him €350,-/$365,-.

I think (after reading the reactions) I should not go with that exact guitar, so I will keep looking, and maybe soon go watch the FGX-800 since I've red so much about it.

Have you had your Fender set up properly? - That might be a better investment if you haven't.

Since the guitar was so cheap i decided to do the setup myself, after a few missteps, i finaly did strike how i like it. For that reason i think that giving it a setup, would cost alot and not change much about it.