Recently, my SD-1 has been cutting out. Sounds like it loses volume. Since I use it to push my amp it of course cuts back the gain.

When this issue started I plugged straight into the amp. No issue. Plugged my ns2 in. No issue.
Od only. Nothing. It only pops up when I have the whole fx chain. I have tried a friends ts9 and no issue so I'm sure its the sd1.

The chain is guitar -> ns2 -> sd1 -> amp.

I have tried to induce the issue by wiggling cables or kicking the pedal but it only pops up randomly. And just a little tap will fix it for a while.

I am powering it with a snark wall wart and daisy chain (maybe the issue?) and the guts look fine. No loose jacks and no bad solder joints.

The ns2 is used so no clue how old it is. The od I have had about a year and a half, and the amp about half a year.

If its bad the od is cheap to replace, but if I can find the problem I can comfortably repair it myself.

Any idea where to look for the issue?

Thanks in advance!
put in a battery and see if there is a problem still. could very well be the 1 spot so that would be a way to eliminate or confirm that.
monwobobbo I just tried just batteries. Fresh one in each. Still did it though.

Perhaps the buffers don't agree with eachother? But knowing my luck it's coincidence that the problem has only happened when in the full chain.

I'm also thinking the switch might be going if a light tap fixes it, but it only happens maybe once or twice per practice session even without being touched.
Sounds like a bad solder connection to me.
Probably a loose wire somewhere.
A bad solder connection could induce that problem even without touching it.
Just the vibration being generated from ANYTHING could do it.
It sits on the floor (or pedalboard) Drums, Bass guitar, your guitar, some dweeb with the bass cranked in his car driving down the street, damn near anything could do it.

If you are handy with a soldering iron or know someone who is, I would re-flow the solder where the wires connect to anything.
BUT, be very careful re-flowing any solder connections on a switch. They can be a little sensitive to heat.

Also, I would put the NS-2 AFTER the SD-1, but that's me.
Pedal order is primarily personal preference.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Dec 21, 2016,
CodeMonk that's next on my list. Visual inspection turned up nothing so my only choice would be reflow everything.
I used to work building electronics so I have soldering down.

May as well mod it when I go in with the iron. Been thinking about it anyways.
Quote by Liaztraht
CodeMonk that's next on my list. Visual inspection turned up nothing so my only choice would be reflow everything.
I used to work building electronics so I have soldering down.

May as well mod it when I go in with the iron. Been thinking about it anyways.

Good to know you have experience with electronics.
I've been doing that off and on for a living since around 1981.
Now I help to build electric cars (Well, I mostly test some of the components).

Let me know what mods you do.
You can bump this thread for that if you want to. Or make another thread in GB&C ( https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53 )

I've been thinking about getting and modding an SD-1 myself for awhile now.
What amp do you have?
CodeMonk been thinking of doing an 808 mod. Or at least changing out the diodes.

I have an orange cr120h. Been loving the tones I get. Plus if it breaks, the internal components are the same things I used to work with. Easy work. One of the reasons I got it.
Quote by Liaztraht
CodeMonk been thinking of doing an 808 mod. Or at least changing out the diodes.

I have an orange cr120h. Been loving the tones I get. Plus if it breaks, the internal components are the same things I used to work with. Easy work. One of the reasons I got it.

Would love to hear (literally hear) the results and your thoughts on them.
And by hear, I want before and after.

And I'm glad to see someone else here withe some knowledge of electronics.
Quite a few of the WTLT ( Who To Listen To ) folks have loads of electronics experience and we have several very knowledgeable engineers as well.
Quote by CodeMonk
Would love to hear (literally hear) the results and your thoughts on them.
And by hear, I want before and after.

And I'm glad to see someone else here withe some knowledge of electronics.
Quite a few of the WTLT ( Who To Listen To ) folks have loads of electronics experience and we have several very knowledgeable engineers as well.
It's been a while since I have done any heavy electronics work. Been in the cabinet business for a few years.
I will for sure do a before and after when I get around to it.
Might order the parts on payday. I've got 12 days off work for the holidays and need something to keep busy!