I seem to be spending a lot of more time in guitar stores lately, yesterday went to Guitar Center in Central Houston, and since the client help was non-existent, I got bored just standing by the cash register and waiting for someone to materialize and headed for the amps.

Once I started setting cables into the most expensive amp they had in there (the Rockerverb) suddenly two dudes materialized with $$$ COMMISSION $$$ signs on their faces.

Anyway...I picked up the most expensive guitar they had in there which was some kind of Indonesian Schecter Hellraiser C1 clocking at about $900. The guitar was a complete piece of garbage, I couldn't recognize the utter fail of this line of Schecters, considering that I played them and liked them before. I have several buddies with this exact model and it plays and feels great. This guitar on the other hand had the action of a viola, the frets were improperly cut and could fleece you alive, the neck itself was half finished and had a real cheap overall feel. The body looked good and I imagine most of the $$$ went into the quilted maple translucent blue or whatever they call it. Anyway, this was a dud but played OK through the Rockerverb, although the pickups felt dead.

I moved on to the Yamaha RS502 which was reminiscent of the old "lawsuit" 80s Yamahas and that thing was flawless. At about $300 less than the Schecter it ticked all the categories. Perfect setup, great craftsmanship and also made in Indonesia. Go figure! That guitar through the Rockerverb was a dream. Great pristine cleans, coil split also gets a bit Fendery, then the overdrive channel really sings, great touch response and you can ride the volume knob on the Rockerverb from full on shred to mild blues overdrive without going to the amp.

I've forgotten how beautiful those Orange amps sounded and this was a great reminder. Great sustain for days. Honestly, I had so much fun that I wouldn't have a problem playing this without any effects with one of the Yamaha guitars. This again when I thought I'd be happy with a Mark V, which is also a fantastic amp but in a different way...and I am also quite content with my current rig sound
(LTD M-1000 through Sansamp PSA-1 and Boss GT-10 in 4 cable method, into a Peavey Classic 50/50 power amp)
which is totally slamming once I got it back out there and tuned my presets.

Definite win for Orange and Yamaha, shame on Schecter for bringing in such a garbage. The sales guy that stuck around said they're all made in the same factory owned by Samick, but I don't know how the Yamaha was soo yummu at $300 less and the Schecter was such overpriced piece of kindle wood.
Just about any half decent guitar will sound good through an Orange.
Even though I am perfectly happy with my crush, you can bet your sweet biscuits that if I had the cash without the financial obligations (ie: bills, rent and food) I would pick up an RV without hesitation. They are my dream amp.

As for that schecter. I have never played one I liked. Always felt like garbage and made even bullet strats feel amazing by comparison.

Sucks your guitar center lacks help. The one in Medford Oregon is pretty helpful. And some of them actually know what they are talking about.

Glad you had fun! I need to get back into my weekly GC trips...
Quote by Liaztraht

Glad you had fun! I need to get back into my weekly GC trips...

Nah, you don't want to do that, the more you go, the more junk you buy. I walked out again with some merch

The older Schecters are better, I have 2 friends with older Korean-made and they seemed a lot better.
diabolical Its the only music store around with anything other than bullet strats. I just like trying things!
Last edited by Liaztraht at Dec 22, 2016,
well at least your GC has tube Orange amps. one here doesn't have shit these days. the pedal dept isn't bad but amps just sucks balls. I used to work about 3 blocks from our local GC and was there a lot now I live out in the boondocks and hardly get there. never really liked Schecter's except the 80s ones like pete townsend used to play.
Schecters never impressed me either. they all felt kind of plasticy or something. not quite sure.

I love my Rockerverb though. ain't goin' nowhere.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
diabolical doesn't that have switchable modules like what Randall tried before?

Quick Google search says yes. And they have only come out with 1 extra? That price is too high for a ss that really only does classic rock. Though if you really wanna sound like Vai...

You can get those tones half price with a tube amp. Or less with any amp if you know what you're doing.

Or just walk a few feet over and grab the Orange!
Quote by diabolical
They think that everyone wants the brown sound. Check the videos.
I don't know who in their right mind will shell this much for a bland ss amp.

some of the guys over at the The Gear Page seem to like it but yeah I certainly wouldn't
I think SS wise, you can do really good under the 1000 dollar mark and still sound better. 2500 is where some of the great amps live.
Buying one would be like buying a $150 pair of pre-worn ripped jeans because of the name. Which looks like the case here.
Yeah, but the name is Boss, the low to mid budget pedal makers They think a Japanese symbol and the name "Waza" will somehow conjure images of boutique amps and idiots will start plonking $2500 on solid state amp gimmick while Mesas, Marshalls and all other kinds of goodness can be had for a fraction of that price.
Quote by diabolical
Yeah, but the name is Boss, the low to mid budget pedal makers They think a Japanese symbol and the name "Waza" will somehow conjure images of boutique amps and idiots will start plonking $2500 on solid state amp gimmick while Mesas, Marshalls and all other kinds of goodness can be had for a fraction of that price.
I like quite a few of their pedals. But that is a good point. I think the waza versions they have are over priced. But for 50 bucks new for ts type od is a good deal in my eyes. At least for pushing a dirty amp.
Maybe if they priced those amps around 600-700 they might be worth while, but for a little more than that a used boogie can make anyone happy
You can even get a knock off plexi for under 600 if you can get passed the name Bugera. But that's another story.

Last time I went to gc, there were mostly Chinese fenders and more 6505s than I could count. The locals are sick of the sound and are unloading them. Plus a cheaper tube marshal that's been collecting dust for months.
Really? Which is the knockoff Plexi model by Bugera?

BTW, I know what you mean, this was the only good amp in the whole store at the time which made the difference all that more glaring.
The other store I went to was all about the Mini 5150 versions and their knockoffs and a crappy HT-60 Blackstar.
It's the 1960 model. Supposed to be a hotroded plexi.

And the whole 6505 thing is from all the scene kids thinking they can play metal. So they all get that amp, and act like rockstars because their Facebook friends go to their shows.

Makes me sour because in those shows, all their friends leave after they play, dropping the crowed down to 3 people for the rest of the bands. Which is partially why I can't stand those amps.
Last edited by Liaztraht at Dec 24, 2016,
nice

lol at the commission thing
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hahahaha
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?