Page 1 of 2
Is it wrong to try out a Les Paul guitar at my local guitar store? I don't intend to buy it. I just haven't ever held one before and would love to give it a try.
Most guitar stores quite understandably don't approve of people playing and possibly damaging their stock if they're not committing to buy anything from them.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Most guitar stores quite understandably don't approve of people playing and possibly damaging their stock if they're not committing to buy anything from them.

Unless he straight up says that he's not going to buy it and he solely wants to feel it because he never has, who are they to say you can't play a potential sale?
Quote by esky15
Unless he straight up says that he's not going to buy it and he solely wants to feel it because he never has, who are they to say you can't play a potential sale?

If they don't know, they don't know. But if someone walked into a guitar store and asked if they could play a $2000 Les Paul, I don't think it's unfair whatsoever if they ask if they're thinking of buying a guitar on that day. They have every right to refuse the customer if they say no. As technically, by saying no, you're admitting that you're not actually a customer at all.

I suppose you could lie to their face and then just say when you're done, "nah I don't like it" and walk out the store. If you don't mind being a scumbag of course.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
As a one off, you'll be fine.

It's when you either damage something, or get into the 'Wayne's World white Strat' territory that a problem starts.

So go and ask, but you know, don't wear a bullet belt(actually good advice for life in general) or a massive buckle or anything.

EDIT: Also, if it's really busy when you go in, you'll just be making even more work, so that's kind of dickish.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Last edited by slapsymcdougal at Dec 22, 2016,
I agree with what is being said but will also throw out there that the only reason I own a tele is because I played one at a store, with no intention of buying. I had been strictly a humbucker fan and loved my SG and DC standard, but the tele shape always had me. In order to determine whether I even liked the guitar I had to play one. Once again, no intention of buying one. But how else are you going to know if the guitar is right for you.

In line with what everyone else is saying though I would not have asked for the top of the line guitar to try, if I recall correctly I played a MIM tele, I am not going to be that guy that wants to play the most expensive guitar just to see what its like.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
If you normally do business with the store and they have stock hanging on the wall then go for it.

Just be careful to leave the guitar in the same condition in which you find it.

You obviously feel a bit of guilt (I'm guessing that's why you asked in the first place) so you can always ask the staff if it's ok and then live with their decision.

From my experience the guys on the floor at Guitar Center don't care what I pick up but I'm normally in business casual when I'm in there.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I took a tour of the Memphis Gibson factory this summer and their "gift shop" had plenty of guitars from entry level Epi's to high dollar hollow bodies and everything in between they actually encourage people to play but they want everyone to be seated and let them get the guitars from the upper racks for you.

Some jackass comes in waiting for the tour to start and asked if he could play them then it got interesting. He just starts picking guitars off the rack and doing stupid "rock star" poses with them and it was quite apparent he could not play even a single chord, I was cringing hard as were the employees and everyone else in the store he put back a beautiful tobacco burst Les Paul standard it was a limited run of 100 and had 89 on the back of the head written in gold paint marker I had admired it earlier ($4000) he banged on another hand numbered limited run Les Paul and walked away leaving both of them swinging.

At this point I want to punch this prick in the face he is now heading up front where the super high dollar semi hollows were that were made right there in that factory and was reaching for one that was like $7000 the store manager intercepted and told him that that guitar was not avilable to play and if he wanted to play to let the associates bring him a guitar and that he needed to remain seated the other store guy had rushed over to stop the Les Pauls from swinging.

Lucky for me he was not scheduled for the same tour that I was.

As for as trying one goes just be repectful of the instrument and if you have to ask be honest tell them you are saving up and are interested in buying Les Paul in the future the worse they will do is tell you no but if they do allow you be prepared for them to hover around you and keep a close eye on you.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Dec 22, 2016,
You can try anything obviously but be reasonable with the time you spend with it in store. Especially if you have no intention of buying it because somebody else might.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by bobafettacheese
I agree with what is being said but will also throw out there that the only reason I own a tele is because I played one at a store, with no intention of buying. I had been strictly a humbucker fan and loved my SG and DC standard, but the tele shape always had me. In order to determine whether I even liked the guitar I had to play one. Once again, no intention of buying one. But how else are you going to know if the guitar is right for you.

In line with what everyone else is saying though I would not have asked for the top of the line guitar to try, if I recall correctly I played a MIM tele, I am not going to be that guy that wants to play the most expensive guitar just to see what its like.

Well yeah. But im guessing you went in there with the intention of actually buying something. Just going to a store and trying stuff out with zero intention to buy is kinda shitty. But if you are actually in the market for a new guitar, then by all means, you should ty everything you can get your hands on. The last time i was buying a new guitar i went trough like 4 stores without actually buying anything, but if i actually liked any of the guitars i tried, id buy them. That being said, the stores here operate a bit differently than in the us i guess, since i had to ask the salesperson to give me every guitar i wanted, because i wasnt allowed to pick them up myself.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I have been to the Martin Guitar factory several times. In their lobby they have an area set aside with benches and stools and about 15-20 Martin guitars hanging there for anyone to take down and play. As for a store, if I am a regular customer I would ask to try a guitar I had interest in without a commitment to buy. That's how I ended with most of the guitars I own. I wouldn't say up front that I never intend to buy a particular guitar because who knows if I will or not. Maybe I'll really fall in love with the guitar and have to work out how I'm going to pay for it and come back after later. A guitar store displays the guitars so you can try them. It's not a guitar museum. If your local music store is a guitar museum, I'd find a friendlier store. I agree with those who say watch what you wear and how you handle the guitar. No studded jackets, rock star belt buckles or oversized rings and bracelets. Think of it as your guitar and a stranger is asking you to let him play it.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
I don't care, honestly.

But it's also the reason I don't buy anything off the wall at a Guitar store.
I'd rather have a new-in-the-box.

It's also the reason why I don't buy into the "you have to try a bunch until one 'sings' to you" business.
You simply don't know if the guitar you just rejected has been put completely out of rig by the yahoos practicing their metal riffs after class or if the one you love has been carefully and perfectly set up by store personnel just to get it out of inventory. I've seen bent pot shafts, pots hammered into the control cavity, bent bridge supports, bent tuners, dinged headstocks and bodies, loose frets (too long in an air-conditioned environment?), corroded frets, seriously out-of-level fretboards, broken nut ends and more, thanks to the wall crawlers.

And stuff just plain gets stolen. I told a manager that he should probably move a late '70's Ibanez Artist to the top tier on the wall, because the SureGrip I knobs were worth about $45 each (at the time) on eBay and they were sure to get removed. Next time I was in, the guitar was on the top tier with no knobs. The manager sheepishly admitted he'd moved the guitar *after* the knobs were ripped off. "We'll just toss on some speed knobs (about $8 a set) when they buy it. They'll never know the difference."

I figure I can put almost any guitar *into* proper rig, and I'll spend the additional money on a new, untouched guitar for PLEK jobs and all of that, but it makes no sense for me to pull one off the wall, fix what's wrong and THEN pay the additional money for a Good Initial Setup.
Quote by dspellman
And stuff just plain gets stolen. I told a manager that he should probably move a late '70's Ibanez Artist to the top tier on the wall, because the SureGrip I knobs were worth about $45 each (at the time) on eBay and they were sure to get removed. Next time I was in, the guitar was on the top tier with no knobs. The manager sheepishly admitted he'd moved the guitar *after* the knobs were ripped off. "We'll just toss on some speed knobs (about $8 a set) when they buy it. They'll never know the difference."

Yeah they are at least smart enough to not leave the whammy bars on them, unfortunately at GC they are not smart enough to find the whammy bar when someone actually buys a guitar half the time.

I have witnessed knobs being plucked from amps at GC before.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Dec 22, 2016,
I've only been to Guitar Center and Sweetwater. As long as you're not a tool, they don't mind. I like to see what's at floor level and run with that and if I'm really curious for something I can't reach, I have an employee help me.

While you want to be careful, these are businesses and want you to buy, so letting people try something is good business. Now, granted, I'm not asking them to pull down a $5k Gibson LP, because it's out of my price range and LP's aren't really up my alley.

Like others have said, if you're not a jackass, talentless hack without respect for others, most stuff can be tried if you ask.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
I think the saving up argument is a good one as well. It wasn't too long ago I walked in with about 4k to spend. I played a 5.5K Les Paul as well, knowing that I'd save up for it more had I wanted it. Sure, it's not like 4K won't buy you a good Les Paul, but saving up is a thing and I'd rather have the 4K guitar now than save up 5.5k first and then still go for the 4K one later down the line.
True. I mean, I'd love to try something like that, but there's reasonable requests and there's taking the piss.

Not that the price tag on that isn't taking the piss a bit either
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Good question. Here's what I did.

Since I was a teen I wanted to try one out, but I didn't. I waited until I was old enough to:
A - Play well enough to warrant holding it in the first place.
B - Decide that if I love it enough I'll save to buy it one day.

So I waited. Finally in my mid-twenties I went it and gave it a try. I was upfront. I said "I've never played one. What's all the fuss about? May I try it?"
The guy let me try it and didn't bother trying to make a sale. Finally after I returned it I said I loved it and will consider making the purchase in the future. No harm, no foul.

Came back about 6 months later and said "I'm considering buying one if I find the right one for me. I'll be trying a few today." The guy couldn't argue with that. I meant business. I tried 3 or 4. Then I haggled with the guy.

"$1999? No. How about $1599? I'm paying cash. No credit run." He of course said no. My wife was with me, and here's the best part - she said "it's his birthday. Please reconsider. Go speak with a manager." The guy came back after speaking with the manager and he let me have it for $1599.

Moral is always be upfront with your intentions. Don't try to fool them because they've heard and seen them all. And if you have a girlfriend/wife, take her with you. There is power in numbers.

BTW, same goes for buying cars or other expensive things. Two heads are better than one.
My wife is great.
Quote by bobafettacheese
I agree with what is being said but will also throw out there that the only reason I own a tele is because I played one at a store, with no intention of buying.

Yeah, that's the thing. To a certain extent they (presumably, at least if they have any sense) want people to try stuff because if people don't come into the shop and don't try stuff, they won't get any sales.

The saving up thing is a good point, as well.

Another thing is, you actually want to try a lot of different guitars both inside and outside your price range, because that's how you learn what a good guitar is. That way you can make an informed decision as to whether that $300 guitar is almost as good as that $1500 guitar, or not. You may go in not being in the market for a new guitar and thinking your $200 guitar is all you need. Try a few $2000 guitars and you might leave trying to figure out how you can save up $2000.

I've tried guitars I had no intention of buying... but at the same time there's always a slight chance I'll like something enough to want to buy it, even if I hadn't expected to like it. If you ask me, that's ok (I have enough guitars that I absolutely don't "need" any more, but if the right one comes along at the right price...). Plus if I'm curious enough to try the thing, there's a fair chance that that's the first symptom of GAS.

The other thing is, I live in Northern Ireland. We don't have a super-great selection of gear here. When I've been in England or Scotland I've tried stuff that I couldn't try at home, even if I weren't buying right then, because that was the only time I could try it, and if I really did like it I could save up later to buy it.

I've also been in shops when I *was* seriously considering buying and left because I didn't feel like they were comfortable letting me try what I wanted (or flat out didn't let me try what I wanted). I've said this before, but I asked to try a J35 and the sales assistant said, "You won't like that, try this [more expensive] J-45 instead." (WTF ) So it goes both ways- (in some shops at least) once the shop thinks you have the money for the dear stuff, good luck getting to try the cheap stuff.

I'd also point out that for all these people saying about it being "wrong", I seem to have tried an awful lot fewer guitars than most of the regulars here.

EDIT: the whammy bar thing... i can understand why they take them off, but at the same time if you're buying a guitar with a trem, you want to be able to try it to see what it's like. considering you normally don't have return policies when you buy in-store here, the whole point of going to a store is to get to try the thing, and get to try it properly.

you know, if so many people are taking the piss with the trems, maybe they could keep a closer eye on them?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 22, 2016,
I'm like Tony. I don't just go to try out guitars. I go there when I am going to buy something else and need it quickly (I buy on line more often). I don't mind trying something at Guitar Center and then buying from their sister company Musicain's Friend who delivers free (and new).

I loved the story about the Ibanez Speed Knobs. I have my original 1982 AM50 (think ES339 20 years before Gibson). It has those knobs. Many years ago two drunk asswipes got in a fight in front of the tiny stage in a club where my band was playing. They fell on the stage knocking over a mic stand that landed on my guitar and fortunately only hit one of the tone knobs. It broke the knob and put a very small ding (one of many to come) on that guitar. At the time I couldn't replace the knob (early 90's pre internet days) so I bought some Gibson top hat knobs and replaced them but I always had the original (unbroken) three knobs in the case. About 5 years ago I tried to find a single knob on EBay and ended up paying about $50. I haven't looked to see what the current price is for those original knobs but knowing the Chinese they have probably cloned them at much cheaper price. Thanks to dspellman for memory.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Dec 22, 2016,
Quote by Tony Done
I would never go into a shop with the intention of checking something out before I bought it elsewhere online.

I'd say there's a bit more to that as well. Suppose you have a better online price- but you go to the local shop and ask them to match the price (or at least get close enough that you'd still buy it)? If you ask me that's ok- I've done that before (and bought locally because they did get close enough). Would the shop rather just lose the sale to the online store?

I mean basically if you ask me as long as you're not being a dick, not in there 24/7, and being extremely careful with the gear, I don't see much of a problem. As I said above, it's a lot more complicated than either being in the market for a guitar, or not being in the market for one- that's a false dichotomy and an oversimplification, in my opinion. It's a continuum.

Plus I find it kind of ironic how many people are saying it's kind of a dick move trying out stuff if you're not in the market for something specific. Yet any time anyone makes a thread saying, "I have $100, what pedal should I buy?" or similar, there's a raft of responses along the lines of, "Don't buy just because you have the money burning a hole in your pocket, that's a really bad reason for buying guitar gear."

I mean, which is it? If you don't go to the shop unless you have the money, you're arguably only buying because you have the money burning a hole in your pocket (since you wouldn't have tried the guitar before you had the money). But if you do go if you're not 100% in the market for something specific right now, it's a dick move,

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
If they don't know, they don't know. But if someone walked into a guitar store and asked if they could play a $2000 Les Paul, I don't think it's unfair whatsoever if they ask if they're thinking of buying a guitar on that day. They have every right to refuse the customer if they say no. As technically, by saying no, you're admitting that you're not actually a customer at all.

I suppose you could lie to their face and then just say when you're done, "nah I don't like it" and walk out the store. If you don't mind being a scumbag of course.

but you might be a future customer. or a previous one. you don't have to be a customer right now at this exact instant to not be a scumbag FFS!

And it's interesting that you say, "they have every right". As the customer, I have every right not to buy for whatever reason I like (such as, you know, not letting me try stuff properly), even no reason. So shops need to be careful about diligently enforcing their rights, because the people they're dealing with (customers) might do the same.

Quote by gorkyporky
Well yeah. But im guessing you went in there with the intention of actually buying something. Just going to a store and trying stuff out with zero intention to buy is kinda shitty. But if you are actually in the market for a new guitar, then by all means, you should ty everything you can get your hands on. The last time i was buying a new guitar i went trough like 4 stores without actually buying anything, but if i actually liked any of the guitars i tried, id buy them. That being said, the stores here operate a bit differently than in the us i guess, since i had to ask the salesperson to give me every guitar i wanted, because i wasnt allowed to pick them up myself.

they've actually started using locking hangers here for the guitars on the wall- virtually all of the guitars, even the cheap ones. that gets really annoying and prevents me from trying things out the way I want to- if I have to wait for the assistant to come back that sort of messes with the flow of trying stuff whereas if I can just grab a guitar I can compare things head to head instantly, go back and get one I'd tried a few before to try it again next to a different one, etc. etc.

plus it makes it way more embarassing than it needs to be.

I mean, this probably sounds like I'm in guitar shops every day trying out hundreds of guitars. I'm not. Before I tried a few acoustics this summer I hadn't been in a guitar shop for the guts of 10 years probably. And I actually kind of got sickened with the guitar shops because I didn't feel I was getting to try stuff to my satisfaction. I mean, there are tons of guitars/amps/fx I haven't tried because I was too embarrassed to ask, or felt like I'd already tried too many (in most shops I'd probably try about 3 guitars before I get embarassed and have to leave )- and as i said above, if i don't try them i won't buy (if I'm buying locally rather than online), so they're only losing sales...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 22, 2016,
Guitar center has insurance for people that randomly try guitars they are a giant corporate store. I dont feel bad browsing anything they have on the floor. I often try their high dollar items with no intention of buying them and dont feel bad at all. Im always very polite of course and never try anything that i dont know how to use like tube amps that may or may not be hooked up to the proper speakers. Mom and pop shops are different and its just polite to explain that all you want to do it try it because its something you always wanted to hear And let them help you. Sincerity goes a long way. And treat stuff like its somebodies baby cause it may very well be.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I'd say there's a bit more to that as well. Suppose you have a better online price- but you go to the local shop and ask them to match the price (or at least get close enough that you'd still buy it)? If you ask me that's ok- I've done that before (and bought locally because they did get close enough). Would the shop rather just lose the sale to the online store?

I mean basically if you ask me as long as you're not being a dick, not in there 24/7, and being extremely careful with the gear, I don't see much of a problem. As I said above, it's a lot more complicated than either being in the market for a guitar, or not being in the market for one- that's a false dichotomy and an oversimplification, in my opinion. It's a continuum.

Plus I find it kind of ironic how many people are saying it's kind of a dick move trying out stuff if you're not in the market for something specific. Yet any time anyone makes a thread saying, "I have $100, what pedal should I buy?" or similar, there's a raft of responses along the lines of, "Don't buy just because you have the money burning a hole in your pocket, that's a really bad reason for buying guitar gear."

I mean, which is it? If you don't go to the shop unless you have the money, you're arguably only buying because you have the money burning a hole in your pocket (since you wouldn't have tried the guitar before you had the money). But if you do go if you're not 100% in the market for something specific right now, it's a dick move,

And there's more, as they say in the TV ads. The great bulk of my non-specialist gear business is done at my mate's store, and I have no qualms about telling him what price I can find something mail order. He usually gives me a good discount anyway, because we exchange ideas, and I sell bottlenecks through his shop for credit, not cash. IOW, I get mate's rate, and I don't mind paying over the odds to help keep him in business. If he went out of business, it wouldnt do either of us any good. I used to spend a fair bit of time in his shop, mostly just talking to him and his techs. I also played a fair bit, and both he and I knew that it might eventually lead to a decent sale if I found one I liked enough - eg my used Maton M300 - so as you say, intent is a continuum, and as much opportunistic as specific.
Quote by Dave_Mc
but you might be a future customer. or a previous one. you don't have to be a customer right now at this exact instant to not be a scumbag FFS!

They might be a previous customer, and if they are, then I can accept that the retailer might be a bit more lenient. But TS' original question does not define whether they are or they aren't. They might also be a future customer, but how can anyone know?

Given those things are not defined, there's no right or wrong answer to the original question.

I was under the assumption that they may not be previous customers and I could be wrong, but I think I had some reason to speculate. Let's be honest; not many (of what general consensus would call) 'experienced' guitar players have never played a Les Paul before. And inexperienced guitar players are generally not as likely to be previous customers, due to the nature of the fact that they've not been a guitar player for very long. Combine that with the fact that most new users of the UG forums tend to beginner guitar players. It all adds up to give me more of an inclination towards the assumption that they're less experienced and are therefore, less likely to be a previous customer.

And it's interesting that you say, "they have every right". As the customer, I have every right not to buy for whatever reason I like (such as, you know, not letting me try stuff properly), even no reason. So shops need to be careful about diligently enforcing their rights, because the people they're dealing with (customers) might do the same.

Then by that logic, how does locking guitars up in glass cabinets to protect them from dunderheads with no intention of buying from playing them, not go against customer's rights? But you still see guitar stores doing it?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

It's really not a big deal. The Gibson LP is just a low quality mass produced guitar.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
damn some of you guys are rough. I try guitars all the time with no intention of buying just to try them. that has resulted in a couple of sales if I had the money (and food for thought if I liked something enough to save for it). being a regular certainly helps as they know if I don't buy this time I may next time. it does help that I'm 55 and can play a bit as most stores don't seem to mind. my GC even asks on occasion if I'd like to try a new guitar that just came in that is expensive. again being older helps as I know if a 16 year old kid came it they likely wouldn't let him touch it.

I say try all the guitar you can as you never really know what you might like until you play one. I've bought a couple of guitars that I would have never even considered because it turned out I did like them. OP play the LP and enjoy. be careful with it and be considerate. no harm no foul
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Unless it's all fancy stuff on the wall, most stores exist almost entirely to let people try random guitars. It's good form to get something once in a while, like picks and strings, but I've never been to a store that had a problem with people playing and not buying. Frankly I wouldn't shop at place that expects people to buy.

One nice thing - the only nice thing - about Guitar Center is that they have a ridiculous number of guitars you can just try out. They might be out of tune with old strings, and the amps are all EQed stupid, but you can get an idea what just about any guitar sounds like. If there's something they really don't want random people to play, they'll put it like 10 feet up on the wall, and even then they'll get it down for you if you ask. Most GCs also have a little room with a handful of expensive guitars and amps just so customers can crank up the high end stuff without all the noise of the sales floor.

I agree that if it's a smaller store you should be sociable and talk guitars with the staff. Having a friendly relationship with your local store is how you can get special deals or items that aren't on the floor yet or personal connections for your music network. If you just show up and buy a $1000 guitar once in a while they're happy to take your money, but if you're in there regularly and buy something once in a while you might get hooked up with some good deals when you are in the market for a new axe. For a lot of reasons, most stores value small-spending repeat customers much more than the person who just comes in once to buy something expensive.
Last edited by cdgraves at Dec 22, 2016,
I think every person saying it's a dick move is correct IF they're talking about a mom-and-mom guitar store or especially a high-end custom type shop. But if you're talking about a big chain like Guitar Center, I think it's crazy if you don't take advantage of their stock and try some out, even if you have no intention of buying. Guitar Center's thing is being friendly to people trying stuff out and even jamming in their store. Even if you currently have no intention of buying, they might argue that you just trying one of theirs out will convince you to begin saving up and buying one from them. They're in it for the long-game as well as the short-game. This is part of the reason for their success, so you might as well take advantage of it.

So it really depends on the store.
I frequent guitar stores a lot. most of the time just to check stuff out. I am respectful, of the gear and the staff, and have yet to have a problem.

from those innocent pass throughs, i have probably dropped a few thousand in some of the stores. had i not been in the store, i likely wouldn't have bought that item,because I would not have had it in my hand.

if it is GC or Sam Ash, I will half the time pick up something little (picks, trem springs) just because.

if it is mom and pop (which there are not many of around here) i will ALWAYS make a purchase even if it's just $5.

if you want to play something, go for it. i don't see a problem.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by NewDayHappy
It's really not a big deal. The Gibson LP is just a low quality mass produced guitar.

Your point being?
Quote by monwobobbo
damn some of you guys are rough. I try guitars all the time with no intention of buying just to try them.

Really? I've been asked to leave doing the exact same thing before. Even as a previous customer. It wasn't a mom and pop store either. Not going to name any names, but it was a regional chain.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
whitch brings me to my profession making new guitars into used guitars
Wise man once said, " If you ever get lost in the woods, just start jacking off someone will see you."
One of my favourite past times as a poor person is going to guitar shops and trying out guitars just out of my price range. It's tantalizing and infuriating.
Gibson SG 2016 1960's Tribute
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Marshall DSL100H
Marshall 1960B 4x12
ProCo Rat 2
I think it's important to build a relationship with your local store - establish yourself as a customer first, chat to the staff a bit, buy a few things even if it is just strings and picks.

I had a really good relationship with a local store, to the point at which the owner would actively encourage me to try out anything new that had come into stock.

At the end of the day it's not a "guitar library - stores certainly don't exist to let people try random guitars, they exist to sell guitars and it's important to respect that especially if it's a small independent store. Somewhere like Guitar Center is a little different because they're so big and corporately owned, and they've kind of built their schtick around having people sat around everywhere playing guitars. However for a smaller store it's important to remember that they're a business who needs to make money - don't be a deadbeat.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I've had 2 different reactions in different stores in similar scenarios. Wasn't a customer there yet, had quite some money (at the time in relation to my financial situation) to spend and I wanted to try some stuff.

I walked into store A wanting to try an amp. I had never gone there, but they were the only store in my neighbourhood that had the amp in stock. I walked in and said I was looking for the specific amp and wether I could try it. He sighed deeply and visibly but said I could after all. Asked what guitar I played, which was my Gibson SG at the time. Then he says he doesn't allow just anyone to play their more expensive guitars and hands me a cheap SG copy comparable to a low end Epiphone. I played for a couple of minutes, kindly said thanks for letting me try it and never went there again. I would've taken it home with me had they been friendlier, because I actually liked the amp. I bought the amp a few weeks later at the store I usually went because they were actually friendly to me and put no pressure on me at all to buy it when I tried it out again at their store.

I walked into store B looking to buy a new guitar. I asked if I could play 3 different expensive guitars at first, because I was looking for something new and had quite a bit to spend. No problem. Then proceeded with saying that I wanted to make sure I got the right guitar. They let me just pick off the wall what I wanted to try, even though we're talking guitars 2500 and up. I went back the next week to buy my Mayones Regius and have been there since.

So yeah, I'm always kind to the people in the store and always tell them what my intentions are. Some are more friendly than others and that's where I buy. The others, I never set foot in again. And I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks like that. I don't care if I haven't been a customer in the past in your store, if you're unfriendly, I'm walking out and never coming back.
Of course.I played a £3500 guitar the other day.They set me up in a nice little sound proof room with a Marshall Class 5.
If they ask if you're gonna buy it just say 'I don't know til i try it'
Quote by geo-rage
Guitar center has insurance for people that randomly try guitars they are a giant corporate store. I dont feel bad browsing anything they have on the floor. I often try their high dollar items with no intention of buying them and dont feel bad at all. Im always very polite of course and never try anything that i dont know how to use like tube amps that may or may not be hooked up to the proper speakers. Mom and pop shops are different and its just polite to explain that all you want to do it try it because its something you always wanted to hear And let them help you. Sincerity goes a long way. And treat stuff like its somebodies baby cause it may very well be.

Part of what you pay for when you buy a guitar from a brick and mortar store like GC is the pilferage and damage expense.

For the most part, insurance covers only big disasters; the deductibles are too high to cover dings, dents, small thefts, etc. So YOU do, tucked into the pricing of the guitars. You also pay for the liability and major damage insurance these stores have to carry, as well as for the rent, the air conditioning, the salaries, corporate profit and the *helpful* staff. You're also paying for the advertising it took to get you into the store and for the specific advertising that made you interested in one or two specific guitars. YOU and every other customer that buys there are paying for all of that.
Alright alright boys, calm down.

OP, do whatever the fuck you want. If you wanna try out a guitar without buying it, go for it, who fucking cares? Don't listen to any of these forum trolls.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

But why do you have to buy something every time you go into a store? I've gone in with no intention of buying anything and buying a new acoustic. I've also gone in with the intention of buying but didn't.

I spent an hour playing different amps a couple weeks ago and didn't spend a penny, and no one batted an eye.
Last edited by esky15 at Dec 23, 2016,
Page 1 of 2