For some time i've been practicing on a HTX guitar ( cheap, second-hand italian brand guitar that my parents brought from a family friend for about 50 euros in order to help me get an idea of what playing the guitar is like).

Now that i progressed quite a bit and with basics under my belt, this model won't cut it (obviously). So i want to upgrade. I also need an amp. But the more difficult part is the guitar. Dreadful.

Keeping in mind the fact that im a die-hard Muse,Nirvana and hard rock fan (listenin to other bands such as Skillet, Breaking Benjamin, My Chemical Romance, Thousand Foot Kruth, Halestorm and The Pretty Reckless, to name a few) the only metal band that im a fan of being "In This Moment" (and excuse you, im actually in love of them) what guitar do you think i should be getting as my first beaut?

I've been considering brands like Ibanez or ESP but i really don't know. What about the more low end Schecters? I'm on a budget of ~400 euros. (Thats about the same in dollars, for all of you American people).
So far, i've seen a nice looking and sleek playing (i got to try it in a shop) Ibanez RG421EX. It's the only instrument that sparked my interest so far. Any other suggestions?

For the amps im considering an Orange Crush series amp or a peavey vypyr as i heard good things about them.
Hi

Let's start of with your guitar: I can vouch for Ibanez having great-quality instrument in all price ranges. My bandmate is a fan of ESP and I can't say they're particularly bad. Schecter is a totaly different thing. Some people love them and some hate them. I have no idea because I haven't played a single one of them in my life. Since you're just beginning, what should be the most important thing about the gutiar is the feel. If you have the opportunity, go to any local music store and try some guitars from different brans - Ibanez, Jackson, Schecter, ESP, just to name a few. Usually, guitars of the same brand have similar neck dimensions etc. Some people for example hate the Schecter neck and call it clubby and say it feels more like a baseball-bat, some other say that the Ibanez necks are too slim. Compare what feels best for your hands. Don't worry too much about the sound at this point.

Regardless of that, I think the Ibanez RG421EX seems to be a good choice. The 5 way switch gives you some good tonal variability, though you might want to consider whether you'd rather want a gutiar with a middle-position-single-coil. Also, since we're talking Ibanez now, make sure you like the RG form. From my experience, there are people who consider the RG series too clunky, but on the other hand some others consider teh S series too slim. Personally, I don't care that much and own both.

At this point I probably shoud start spamming you with suggestions for guitars, so here you go, you might want to look into these: https://www.thomann.de/de/st-modelle.html?filter=true&manufacturer%5B0%5D=Ibanez&price-first=0&price-last=400&feature-152%5B0%5D=HSS&feature-152%5B1%5D=HSH

But as I said, grab as many gits as you can and take the one that you can afford ant that feels best in your hands.

Now the amplifier: Well, that's actually the more difficult. At this point, everyone will suggest you their persona favourite amps (including myself) and when asking around in the store they will try to sell you the worst selling amp. Since you're on quite the tight budget (I don't suppose you can extend it a bit?) you'll most likely be looking into solid state amps. As long as I care, do whatever you want, just keep your hands off of Line6. And now comes the part where I suggest one of my personal favourite Amps: The Vypyr. I am a proud owner of y Vypyr 15 (the old one, not the VIP series) and it cost me 109 Euros back in the days, wich leaves 300 Euros for your guitar, give or take. In my humble opinion, the amp is worth every single cent you pay for it. What you get is a solid state amplifier with an exceptionally good sound and in total 24 modelled amps (12 clean and 12 dirty, except for the 6505, which is rather more like "dirty" and "brutal"). This lets you explore what kind of sound you enjoy most and gives you enough room for experimenting.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
SneKisser Well, that indeed turns the tables a bit. 400 Euros can get you a very good instrument that you might even enjoy years later. As for the amplifier: If the Vypyr is still an option, try to get one of the bigger models. The Vypyr VIP II should be just enough for the rehearsal room, but if you're planing to go live some time, you're going to need a much bigger and much more expensive amp. But that's for another day.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
For what you want to play you definitely want a guitar with a humbucker in the bridge position. Any of the Schecter, Ibanez, Jackson, LTD guitars in your price range will be comparable quality wise and should suit your needs.

If you can push a bit more money to the amp it will be to your benefit as the amp will impact your tone much more than the guitar. Of the amps you mentioned I would say go with the Peavey, if you can afford it get the model that has a 12" speaker. If you can up your budget a bit you could grab a Jet City from Thomann.
Last edited by guitarsngear at Dec 22, 2016,