There's an used Hartke VX3500 on sale pretty near me, going for 400e and the price is apparently negotiable. It's 10 years old and hasn't been used much for the last 4 years according to the ad. There are quite a lot of features I like, the graphic EQ and direct out being some, but what I want to know is is it any good?

I will most likely play funk and jazz on it, but versatility is still very welcome. My main instrument is a jazz bass with two single coils and an active EQ. I'm looking for an amp that can handle jam sessions and club gigs, and I'm definitely not a tone snob.

So, is the amp good quality? Does the price seem right? For a 10 year old combo that's about 500e new (afaik, it's not on sale anymore) I think it's a bit high. Does anyone have first hand experience with the amp? Hartke makes nice amps as far as I know, but I've read some mixed reviews on this one in particular.

And my budget is about "as cheap as possible".
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
The VX3500 was a bit of a rarity in the bass world; a 4x10 combo amp. It was plenty powerful and once you got used to working the unusual EQ controls (mainly a graphic EQ), you could get a lot of great sounds out of it. I like it a great deal more than the HyDrive combos that replaced it. It would be fine for what you want to do, and it doesn't lack for power.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I used one for years until a touring band blew the speakers. I separated the head unit out and it eventually died. That being said, I bought it for 150 USD and have no idea how old it is.
Paired with a Sansamp Bass Driver DI, it was one of the best live tones I've achieved. Always got a lot of compliments at gigs.
Ive owned a VX for over ten years. Never had any issues... Plenty of volume for jams and small gigs. Nice punch from the paper cones. Quite versitile with the eq and separate preamps. Ive been pleased with it. That said, the thing is a tank... Have help lifting and moving it as it is VERY heavy... Not sure about the exchange rate, so couldnt tell you if sounds like a good deal. I'd just show up with cash in hand, its great motivation for sellers!
Great value and that's a realy good sounding amp. The tone controls are amongst the most versatile you'll find. The totally flat tone is good too. The down side is the weight. The sound is as good as anything and reliability is as good as most. Go and test drive it and see if the sound is what you are looking for, Also try lifting it, if you can
I appreciate all of the input, but I decided not to pull a trigger on that sale, settled on an apparently worse amp (an ampeg BA-112), and bought something else that I've wanted for a long time instead... I'll check back tomorrow with pics and sound clips
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here