I think this will be pretty generic but.
Its actually about my friend. Since it's the holidays, he is away from home for this week and has no internet access (he is also a bit awkward) so he wanted me to go on every forum possible and ask for advice. He needs help with a few things, ranging from what bass should he start with to technique and such. So im going to divide this into a few questions and a few mentions at the end of this post.

1. What bass should he start on? He is listening to a variety of genres but a few of his favorite artists include Green Day, Muse, Nirvana, even some more heavy stuff like System of a Down, Avenged Sevenfold or In This Moment. So far he found the Ibanez SR300EB which he likes. He has also considered a Squier mike dirnt p bass signature model since he is a green day fan. Also the Yamaha series. What about the schecter stiletto stealth basses? These are the brands and models that he is interested in, currently. Any other suggestions for him?

2. About the amp, should a 20-25W amp suffice for appartment practice or should he spend a bit more? He also cannot buy both a bass and an amp due to financial issues, but to save money he is going to buy a bass and a vox amplug 2 headphone amp to serve him as a practice tool until the end of january when he gets a real amp. Any recommendations? He is considering the Fender Rumble series.

3. The most valuable tip that you could give to him? He knows a bit of music theory and grasped the concepts of Rhyth, Melody and Harmony but he is no genius (obviously). He plays my guitar occasionally and only knows a few major chords and power chords, combined with some moving-around-the-fretboard technique but thats about it so he is a total freshman.

That's all about it. Other things to mention would be that he is relativley lankey and his fingers are PRETTY BIG (but slender). I doubt that will affect the way he plays, but he is just concerned that he cannot fret the notes and the thick strings on the bass properly. Also, he asks if he should use tabs to learn songs for the beginning, as he heard a lot of veterans being quite against it. This is all, thanks for taking the time to answer to my and his questions :P
Quote by SneKisser
I think this will be pretty generic but.
Its actually about my friend. Since it's the holidays, he is away from home for this week and has no internet access (he is also a bit awkward) so he wanted me to go on every forum possible and ask for advice. He needs help with a few things, ranging from what bass should he start with to technique and such. So im going to divide this into a few questions and a few mentions at the end of this post.

Every time someone starts a thread like this it just sounds like they're for some reason too embarrassed to admit that they're the ones needing advice, and so they use the "it's actually for my friend" trick not saying that is the case here, but it still does always seem like it.

Quote by SneKisser

1. What bass should he start on? He is listening to a variety of genres but a few of his favorite artists include Green Day, Muse, Nirvana, even some more heavy stuff like System of a Down, Avenged Sevenfold or In This Moment. So far he found the Ibanez SR300EB which he likes. He has also considered a Squier mike dirnt p bass signature model since he is a green day fan. Also the Yamaha series. What about the schecter stiletto stealth basses? These are the brands and models that he is interested in, currently. Any other suggestions for him?

Squier P-basses should work well. They're great for the price and easy to use. Yamahas are considered great for the price as well. Nothing wrong with the ibanez afaik, but I can't really vouch for it personally. But for punk/grunge tones, a P-bass should be just right.

Quote by SneKisser

2. About the amp, should a 20-25W amp suffice for appartment practice or should he spend a bit more? He also cannot buy both a bass and an amp due to financial issues, but to save money he is going to buy a bass and a vox amplug 2 headphone amp to serve him as a practice tool until the end of january when he gets a real amp. Any recommendations? He is considering the Fender Rumble series.

Fender Rumbles are okay, but nothing more. Cheaper Ampegs are generally the same. Other noteworthy brands include MarkBass, Gallien Krueger and Hartke for example. But we really, really need to know his (or your? ) budget.

I'm also inclined to say that 10 inch speakers are what you should be looking for. 1x10 or 2x10 combo should work well in a bedroom setting.

Quote by SneKisser

3. The most valuable tip that you could give to him? He knows a bit of music theory and grasped the concepts of Rhyth, Melody and Harmony but he is no genius (obviously). He plays my guitar occasionally and only knows a few major chords and power chords, combined with some moving-around-the-fretboard technique but thats about it so he is a total freshman.

Ability to play guitar, especially just a few chords, might not translate to bass at all. They are different instruments.

Tell him to learn a ton of songs. That's the best advice I can think of.

Nothing wrong at all in learning from tab. I would say that learning by ear is more beneficial, but that can be too difficult for a beginner, especially since bass parts can be hard to hear.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Embarassment? Nahhh that's silly...Totally not me right. MOVING ON
Budget for the bass is 350 euros. A little less (200-250 or so) for the amp alone when he'll get one.
I'm a guitarist-turned-beginner-bassist, and to me, knowing the basic scales ( (pentatonic) major/minor) is quite helpful, at least when improvising a bass pattern after I've been given the chords to the song. Trying to translate basic guitar knowledge to bass might not work. The best advice I can give, which is what I'm doing to become familiar with my new instrument, is to go and try different rhythmic patterns - quarter notes, eights, utilising the offbeat.

I can't tell how any of these tips might work out in the long run – if your buddy can afford it, looking up teachers in your area might be the best solution. And about tabs: if he wants to learn a song by tabs, then go for it. Mastering a song that one likes is great to stay motivated, just make sure you don't learn it wrong, because unlearning wrongly trained habits sucks. When in doubt, search YouTube for tutorials, there are quite a lot covers with play-along tabs out there.

Hope I could help you!

Edit:

Also: throwing in a fifth every now and then should be easy for someone who knows his power chords.

About an amp: this is by no means a replacement for a real amp, but I run my bass straight into the preamp of my mixer (1/4" mono jack input). Cheap ones with two channels start at around 50 bucks when bought used (ask your local music store). It's enough to keep practising until your friend can afford a "real" amp.

PS:
Congrats on that music taste!
Last edited by HashtagMC at Dec 30, 2016,